Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY+ Box problem with RF out to second TV.

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by Grambee, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Grambee

Grambee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have just installed a SKY+ box to replace a failing basic SKY box.
    No subscription, card swapped over OK, including Channel 5.
    On the old box, RF out 2 was used to feed a Polaroid HDTV in another room – I think it was on channel 66.
    On the SKY + box, the Polaroid set will not work from either RF out 1 or 2.
    I believe that SKY+ out is on channel 68, but I have tried all the channels on the Polaroid. Any ideas please?
  2. Broadz

Broadz Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,480
    If the old Sky box sent out an analogue signal on channel 66 that the Polaroid TV could pick up, why not set the new Sky box to output on 66, rather than retuning the TV to pick up 68? If 68 clashes with your existing terrestrial signal, there's not a lot of point in outputting on 68 is there?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Grambee

Grambee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Broadz. I had wondered whether it was necessary to 'enable' RF out? Also I would have thought that whatever channel it was output on, the Polaroid should have been able to pick it up - I ran through them all.
    My next question is : what is the code for getting in to set up or change RF out?
  4. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,487
    You only need to make that setting to power RF2 Out if you're using a "magic eye" to send the IR control back the other way.
    The default channel IS 68 so you should be able to get that on the extension TV, on the analogue tuner of course, not the digital.
    If you definitely can't get anything for 68, go to the Sky receiver's menu to find the option to select a different channel.
    Also be sure the cables and plugs are in good condition, and keep trying with both of the RF Out sockets.
  5. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil Active Member

Ratings:
    +894
    Services/4/0/1/Select (Don't look at the screen whilst doing this)
  6. akh48

akh48 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for hijacking the thread, also having problems with an av sender.

I had an av sender which I used for many years until the remote stopped working sky from the upstairs tv a couple of years ago. No problems getting the sky upstairs but just have no control over it. The remote I use upstairs works when used downstairs so not a problem with the remote, which is a proper sky+ remote.

Thinking it might be my av sender I decided to buy a new one from Aldi recently. I have set it up and have exactly the same problem, I can get sky upstairs but just cant control. I have tried moving the sensors, no difference and also tried changing the channel options still nothing.

I am now beginning to think the problem is with either my sky box or my settings. I tried the services suggestion above, but made no difference.

Any ideas on where I am going wrong? I have it set up to the AV1 channel upstairs so when I switch my tv over and press the AV1 button the sky is on, but no control whatsoever. The new av sender also says 3 IR sensors so that you can also control the tv as well upstairs, but nothing happens with that remote either.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
  7. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,487
    Hi and welcome to AVF.
    The thread is about the cabled method of sending the Sky channel to another room.
    Your post is about a wireless videosender, isn't it?
    If so, what make and model is it, and what's that about "3 IR sensors"?
    Logi
  8. akh48

akh48 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and sorry if I posted on the wrong thread.

It is a wireless av sender the old one that I mentioned was the Giga Air 2323, had this since 2004 and then it started playing up a couple of years ago, no problems watching whatever is on downstairs, just have no control of it.

The one I recently bought from Aldi to try, which is the Tevion MD 81883 - this is exactly the same as my old one, so I assume not the av sender but something about my settings on sky box?

As it stands now I think I may take the Aldi one back as it works no better than my old one.

If there is a more appropriate thread can you point me in the right direction, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  9. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,099
    Are you actually trying to tune the Sky signal from the analogue tuning menu OR are you merely flicking through the analogue channels on the TV and hoping that one of them is already tuned to the correct channel (which is highly unlikely). You need to manually tune one of the TV's channels to the correct frequency that the Sky box is transmitting on.
  10. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,487
    That's OK akh48 - we just needed to be sure which method you're using, cable or wireless.
    What about those "3 IR sensors" - what are they?
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  11. akh48

akh48 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have no idea what you mean about tuning the sky signal from anologue tuning menu - I just connected the av sender downstairs and upstairs and it was on the AV1 channel. We are fully digital, Manchester area, so dont think we have anologue any more. On my tv upstairs there is a button that switches between AV1, AV2, SVHS2, AV3 AND mono. I think the AV1 is the one with the signal as I have plugged the scart into the AV1 socket. I dont know whether I may have tuned the original av sender, as it was approx 2004 I cant remember that far back. Had a different tv then and I have a feeling we had to tune to one of the old analogue channels. I have no idea about the frequency sky box is transmitting on - how do I find that out?

Thanks for your response.

According to the instructions the 3 IR sensors means you can simultaneously operate more than one appliance, it suggests putting one near the sky box, one near the tv and the other to whatever else you might have in the vicinity. My son put one 1cm away from the red light on the sky box and the other near the remote light on the tv - neither the sky remote nor the tv remote work from upstairs so I am obviously missing something. The old av sender just had one transmitter think I had to put near the sky remote area.

Thanks for responding again.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  12. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,487
    dm2 wasn't replying to you. He was replying to the original poster who has the cabled system - look back to my comment on that.

OK, so these are actually IR emitters, wired to the Videosender unit that's beside the Sky receiver and the TV?
    You need to locate the IR receptors on the receiver and TV, and they don't usually have lights on them.
    If you can find them the emitters would actually stick immediately over them.
    As you say the Videosender unit normally sends the IR itself and works anywhere near the devices.
    Let us know if you can't find the receptors or if it still doesn't work.
  13. akh48

akh48 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to be getting more confused by all this and just feel that I should return it.
  14. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,487
    Emitters and transmitters do the same thing.
    A transmitter is any unit, in the case of videosenders one of the pair of units, that itself sends out the IR radiation over a relatively wide area for reception by any remote control device that can "see" it.
    An emitter is a small device on the end of a cable that plugs into that unit and sends the same IR in a much narrower beam, that goes specifically to the receptor of a specific receiving device, typically from within 1cm as you say, or often by being attached to the device.
    If you know for sure where the receptors are on the devices, and if the emitters definitely don't control the devices, then you can test whether they are actually sending out any IR at all.
    While someone is working the remote control in the other room look at the emitters on the screen of a digital camera, where the IR will show as visible light if it's being emitted.
    If there's no light at all then there's a fault somewhere in the system.
    Your new videosender is probaby the 2.4gHz type and if it is you might get better results by replacing it with a 5.8gHz.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  15. akh48

akh48 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am confused about the digital camera and its relevance.

The Tevion is a 2.4gHz but no idea how much a 5.8gHz would cost and where to find and whether it is worth the hassle and cost.

I have tried using remote upstairs and nothing shows downstairs using the Tevion av sender, in the old days the red light on the sky box would flash when I used the remote with the old av sender, doesn't now though.

I have now given up with the new box and reverted back to my old one for now as new one was no better.

Thanks for trying to help, think I am just resigned to watching only upstairs, it is a pain at night though at night which is my major gripe.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2011
  16. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,487
    The camera test is a standard way of finding out whether a source of IR is sending out its signal.
    When you look at the source device on the screen of a digital camera any IR that is sending out will show up as flashes of visible light.
    The idea was to find out whether the IR commands that you send in the other room are getting to the unit for re-transmission.
    5.8gHz senders are a little more expensive than 2.4gHz but are less liable to RF interference. Amazon.co.uk: 5.8gHz videosender
  17. akh48

akh48 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Although the red light on transmitter upstairs blinks when I use the remote, nothing showing on the camera - so not sure if anything I can do? I am back with the original av sender now.

I checked the amazon link and noted in some of the reviews it brought up wireless broadband as a possible problem, we have wireless broadband, so am now wondering if thats something to do with it? I have tried changing the channels on the av sender but no difference.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
  18. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,487
    That's OK, and we know now that it's because there's something stopping the IR getting back to the sender unit.
    You could test different locations for the other unit, including close to the first one, using the camera test.
    It's right that routers can cause interference, as can many other wireless devices, even from next door!
    On the other hand the channel is getting through the other way so that ought not to be the explanation.
    As I said the more expensive versions are less liable to interference so you might want to try one of those.
    For a complete alternative you have the option that the thread was originally about, the cabled system.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. boobbby

boobbby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I also had a problem with the picture quality from sky (other channels where fine) when I sent the rf outlet from my sky + box to the loft and then to the bedrooms below. The problem was caused by the interference from other channels (this was proved by removing the tv ariel input as the sky picture was perfect this but of course i could not tune my upstairs tv's into the normal channels from the arial) It took a lot of trial and error before I came across setting the rf outlet signal from the sky + box from the default 68 to 69. All tv receptions including sky upstairs and down are now perfect. Earlier posts can be used for insructions to alter the rf. I would also suggest using digital cable ariel wire which is double screened rather than the old analogue ariel cable.
  20. MartinPickering

MartinPickering Active Member

Ratings:
    +468
    This is a really confusing thread! Much of it has nothing to do with the title "RF out to 2nd TV" and what's that comment about a "vase" in #14 ? :confused:
  21. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,487
    As I said, "the option that the thread was originally about, the cabled system", and three guesses what letter my typo was for. :D
  22. 3canaries

3canaries Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone help me? I seem to have lost my SKY picture to my 2nd TV in the conservatory, well it's gone fuzzy, whereas it was picture perfect. It's currently on Analogue 5 channel, I can still see a picture.

Do I need to re-tune (I have an Amstrad Sky+ Box, and a 32in LCD Samsung in the conservatory) or would it be a faulty connection somewhere from RF out to Ariel in the back of the TV?

Many thanks

Scott
  23. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,487
    Hi Scott. yes, it's likely that something has worked loose, but there's no harm in trying a different output channel on the Sky machine and tuning a programme number on the extension TV to that.
  24. MartinPickering

Ratings:
    +468
  25. 3canaries

3canaries Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks both, how do I get a different output on the SKY machine, or how do I find what the SKY RF output channel is?

I've tried the old sequence quickly on my Sky remote control:

[services] 401 [select]
    or [services] 001 [select] in later HD EPG.

Then press 4 to access the RF Outlet menu.

It brings up the service menu, and by the time I've selected 401 sequence it just goes to the picture menu!

Help!
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  26. MartinPickering

Ratings:
    +468
    I just gave you the link to that information in #24. :rolleyes:
  27. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,487
    It should be 68 now, and you can try anything that's not near to your local analogue or digital channels.