Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY and HTPC - Can you put Sky into an HTPC?

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Markatlarks, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Markatlarks

Markatlarks Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have looked without success and cant find whether it is possible to control a Sky from within an HTPC?
    Can one buy a SKY card for a PC? Is there anyway of inputting the output from a SKY Box into a PC?
    Is there any forum or knowledge base which deals with this question?

I just want a really neat solution to incorporating SKY and other digital TV services into an HTPC - Is this possible?
    :rolleyes:
  2. Trollslayer

Trollslayer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,629
    No because of the copy protecton.
    There are some systems that can do it for a short while but the Sky card has to be in the PC and the entitlement expires after a short while unless you are careful.
  3. Markatlarks

Markatlarks Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks.. Trollslayer.. then..

Is there no way you can input the TV signal from Sky into the HTPC..
    Reason:
    If you are driving a Monitor rather than a TV screen how do you connect the SKY signal to the Monitor?
  4. Stiggy

Stiggy Active Member

Ratings:
    +654
    If you just want the 'free to air' satellite channels (including BBC HD) then a DVB-S card in your PC will do it.

If you want the Sky subscription channels, you'll have to start reading the long thread here.

The HDCP feature of HDMI connections is designed to stop you feeding out of a Sky box and capturing it on another device.
  5. jsimo01

jsimo01 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It can be done, but there are additional hardware requirements!

The main question is what is your budget, and how many satellite feeds you have and where.

OPTION 1: Dreambox (DM500/800/8000) + DVB Link - Essentially you replace your existing Sly Box with a Dreambox which hosts your subscription card and streams your TV channels to MCE through DVB link.

OPTION 2: Dreambox (cheap one not HD) + DVB-S2 tuner - Here the Dreambox hosts your subscription card and shares it with your PC, the Dreambox updates your card and you use the DVB-S2 card to tune to the channel. You can choose what front-end you want to view your TV through here as well, either Media Portal, MCE or any other one that has similar capabilities.

Disclaimer - Either of the methods will violate your Sky Terms & Conditions. There is more to each method than stated above but I have kept to basics in the hope of avoiding any rule breaking.

Option 2 works out the cheaper, you can get an older model of Dreambox or clone and hook it up to a satellite feed and forget about it. I haven't tried option 1, I'm not sure about streaming multiple HD channels from the DM8000, but the DM800 (which I have) streams single HD channel fine (adapter in DM800 is 100MBit Ethernet).

N.B. It is possible other linux based receivers could be used, but I have no experience of which ones.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  6. philipb

philipb Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Just for the sake of completeness, you can do it if your Sky box has component out (or by feeding the HDMI into a certain type of device;)) and then into a Hauppauge HD PVR box and using DVBLink HDPVRBridge. A bit complicated and extra expense but it does work.
  7. Donnacha

Donnacha Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,125
    how about using skyplaer as part of media centre in W7? internet based and non-HD, but works well on my xbox
  8. dmce

dmce Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I find skyplayer on my Win7 HTPC to be much worse than the XBOX version, to the point i use the XBOX over the HTPC even though they are both on the same TV and i may even be watching the HTPC at the time. It also has an annoying feature on the HTPC requiring you to enter the password each time you go to use it (not sure if this has been fixed)
  9. Donnacha

Donnacha Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,125
    ahh, ok. Not tried it myself on the PC, only via xbox! Not worth it then by the sounds of it
  10. ldoodle

ldoodle Active Member

Ratings:
    +615
    That all sounds very good, but what is the point in replacing the Sky box with another box which just adds complication.

Surely the only reason for wanting to do away with the Sky box and move it to the HPTC, is to reduce the number of boxes on show? Or am I alone in the reason?
  11. handscombmp

handscombmp Member

Ratings:
    +5
    It could be so you just have one front end and you can control everything from there.
  12. Stiggy

Stiggy Active Member

Ratings:
    +654
    if I understand the Dreambox solution correctly, the box can be put anywhere with a network connection (e.g. a cupboard).
  13. Neophasis

Neophasis Member

Ratings:
    +20
    If you decide to run Linux on your HTPC with MythTV you can setup Sky on your HTPC.

You would need CCcam to decode the card and also a plugin for the DVB application you use.

Also you need a external USB card reader, a Smargo or some other Phoenix reader.

I am running Sky HD on my HTPC and it works great.

I have the Prof tuner 7301 DVB-S2 card.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  14. clarkey2r

clarkey2r Member

Ratings:
    +4
    correct!!
  15. clarkey2r

clarkey2r Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The way I do it is as follows

cheap clone dreambox hosting the card, DVB-S2 card in HTPC running mediaportal. Sign up on hereto get all the help/support you need setting it up!!!