Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single best bit of 3D you have seen so far

Discussion in 'TV Technology: Smart TV, 3D, Ultra HD, 4K' started by Fat_Tony, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuestShield

QuestShield Active Member

Ratings:
    +465
    There was a shot in Hugo where he was in library with the girl, and the camera switched to an overhead shot, perfectly 1.85:1 framed with book cases around them. The 3 dimensionality of the depth in that shot was amazing.
  2. TONYELISE

TONYELISE Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    Just watched TT3D good if you like bikes,good use of depth in some parts and quite funny in others,watched legends of the guardiens last night absolutely beautifull animation and really good 3d well recomended look for the owl flying up through the rain storm in slow mo its amazing,just about to watch animals united will comment when ive watched it.
  3. bilbosmeggins

bilbosmeggins Active Member

Ratings:
    +636
    Have to agree on Legend of the Guardians. Watched it last night. Absolutley stunning throughout. A true labour of love, and the disk I shall be using when trying to impress. Loved the part where the blue bird is caught. Pop out is used sparingly but is truly magical and crystal clear when it happens. And for those who believe that passive = lower res? Never before have I seen a tv look more high res than with this title, 3d or not. A real showcase :smashin:
  4. TONYELISE

TONYELISE Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    Yeah i know what you mean about legends i have since watched it in 2d again and its one of the best animation for detail some of the slow mo shots where the owls feathers are blowing in the wind was amazing,watched animals united last night really good film very funny aswell good use of depth in places-recommend this in 2d aswell for a family film my 6 year old daughter could not stop laughing when the tazmanian devil kept farting.
  5. madmonk3y

madmonk3y Member

Ratings:
    +69
    I completely agree here, bought this a few months ago as a Xmas present for the kids, and so me and the Mrs watched it ( for test purposes of course) and we were blown away. It's a great 3d film.

Also just got Polar Express the other day, and we thought that was pretty good, the snow flakes, the plates coming at you during the Hot Chocolate scene, the ticket flying about. I'm sure there's more magical moments, but we only have 2 glasses - and the kids are using these. I've just got delivered another 2....so will definitely be watching this in full. :thumbsup:
  6. TONYELISE

TONYELISE Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    If you want it to snow in your living room check out Scrooged A Christmas Carol that was really good,im glad to see im not the only one who uses "for test purposes"as a excuse.Has anyone seen the new release bd of Tim Burton's Nightmare before christmas in 3d?
  7. madmonk3y

madmonk3y Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Thanks for the suggestion, will try that out. Last time I put Scrooged A Christmas Carol on, the kids were too scared to watch it. They freaked out at
    the door knob bit
    - they're 4 and 7, and they are a bit nesh - bless them :love:
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  8. TONYELISE

TONYELISE Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    Yeah my 6 year old loves tim burton's nightmare before christmas,9,corpses bride loves my stargate collection but got scared to the point i had to turn it off at the rats in the forest in legends of the guardians,still we love our children :love::love:
  9. wastedyuthe

wastedyuthe Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,006
    Christmas Carol and Legend of the Guardians are both up there with my favourite 3D blu's. Just a pity they're letterbox. My 8 year old was scared with Carol's spooks but is ok with it now she's watched it once and knows what to expect. For me, it's actually my favourite of the Christmas Carol movie versions full stop- I love how they've managed to re-create the period so convincingly even with CG.
  10. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks Member

Ratings:
    +147
    Just watched How To Train Your Dragon again this weekend. Still think this is one of the best animation films in recent years that really showcases 3D. How it lost to Toy Story 3 at the Oscars I'll never know. :confused:
  11. pixelpixel

pixelpixel Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +1,815
    The best 3D I have watched so far is Tron legacy.
  12. weavesno1

weavesno1 Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Just watched the first 5 mins of drive angry. The part where one of the bad guys throws the wrench at Nicholas Cage had me ducking out the way - awesome. If you use the zoom function and get rid of the black bars does it still have the same effect
  13. QuestShield

QuestShield Active Member

Ratings:
    +465
    Received Polar Express, Open Season, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Monster House today in 3D. Hope they're good. Saw Piranha 3D second hand in a video shop stereoscopic 3D, cheap. Worth it?
  14. Mr_Grinch

Mr_Grinch Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Piranha is post converted but I still loved it. Watched Christmas Carol the other day and it was stunning. One of my favourite uses of 3D so far has to be where the Ghost of Christmas Present removes the floor from Scrooges house and they fly over the town. It looked staggering. Also, someone mentioned Hugo, I loved the Steam in it, it looked fantastic, the whole film had fantastic depth. Brilliant use of 3D.

One of the most impressive bits of 3D i've seen up to now has been in a game though. Sonic Generations (I played the PC version, though the PS3 one features 3D I believe). There's a bit of a drop in resolution as it's SBS and my pc can only run it at 1080p but there are some scenes in that that are jaw dropping. One section has you running down a building (towards the camera) being chased by bad guys, the camera then pans up and over you so the camera is behind you and looking towards the floor. The depth was amazing.

And one of the worst 3D films? The Nutcracker in 3D. My wife picked it up looking for a 3D Christmas film. It's post converted and boy can you tell. We switched 3D off eventually and watched it in 2D (until we ended up turning it off entirely after 40-odd minutes). The post conversion was horrendous. There's a scene in a house where the patterns on the wallpaper have different depths to them. So the greens stick out more than the browns. Bizarre and dizzying.
  15. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler Member

Ratings:
    +163
    For adult consumption Paranha 3D is a hoot! - just make sure it's a true blu-ray 3D
  16. wastedyuthe

wastedyuthe Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,006
    Agreed. Don't go for any blue/green glasses version when the true 3D bluray can be picked up for £5 anyway. It's actually not a bad movie- plenty of blood and guts and a few boobies. 3D conversion isn't too bad either. Just switch your brain off and enjoy.
  17. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler Member

Ratings:
    +163
    How weird :confused:

Just watched this and thought it was a superb fantasy and would definitely recommend it. 3D looked fine to me (no pop-outs at all but otherwise very natural with some great scenes in a few places - mainly when it's snowing) with some beautiful imagery.

There are some seriously bad fake 3D films out there but I certainly wouldn't class this as one of them. :)
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  18. weavesno1

weavesno1 Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Is there any 3d I can download on viera connect on my plasma. Can't see anything and I've searched on daily motion to no avail
  19. masabaw

masabaw Member

Ratings:
    +13
    You can download free 3d clips online and save it onto an SD card or USB stick then play it directly on your Panasonic telly. Make sure that the bitrate isn't too high so it won't lag or get blocky. The best format I've used so far is 1080p SBS in mp4 format.
  20. Naqv

Naqv Active Member

Ratings:
    +206
    God of War Collection HD: Volume 2.

Magnificent 3D on this PS3 game. I have seen a lot of 3D including Avatar, but these two games are the best 3D I have seen thus far.
  21. chriswizz

chriswizz Member

Ratings:
    +5
    i must admit, im a fan of christmas carol, the snow is awsome, game wise deffo arcam city, full interlaced 3d, got the new potter film to watch this weekend, hoping its good.
  22. sapbwstudent

sapbwstudent Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Watched Real Madrid v Barcelona on Sky 3D on saturday, it was a great experience. At time it really felt as if I was watching live action through a window! Really good picture and depth perception. Made me feel really glad that I got a 3d TV. I have an LG 55LW550T.
  23. derek500

derek500 Active Member

Ratings:
    +315
    Getting my LG 47LW450U on Friday. Looking on Digiguide there's several of the programmes mentioned in this thread on in the next few days/weeks on Sky 3D.

Christmas Carol, Narnia -Dawn Treader, Avatar, Lion King, Grand Canyon Adventure -Rivers at Risk and this year's Got to Dance Final.
  24. Foxy1977

Foxy1977 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got Sky 3D last week and enjoyed this also but the El Cashico was better on Sunday... felt like Balotelli was in my living room which is a scary thought.

Only problem is my eyeballs feel like they've been rubbed with sandpaper after an hour's viewing
  25. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler Member

Ratings:
    +163
    What set are you watching then ?
  26. Foxy1977

Foxy1977 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung 46D6530 (active glasses)
  27. bilbosmeggins

bilbosmeggins Active Member

Ratings:
    +636
    Really glad I went the passive route. Have taken to watching pretty much everything in 3D these days, ie letting the tv do its conversion thing. And very often find myself wandering off to the kitchen or the bedroom still wearing the passive glasses completely oblivious that I still have them on. No sore eyes here :)
  28. pmwhelan

pmwhelan Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Once you go passive you'll never go back.
  29. plasma3d

plasma3d Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Totally disagree there.. The FULL HD 3D from Samsungs 'D' series plasma active offers a far superior 3D experience IMO
  30. Mose

Mose Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Has anyone watched Transformers 3 in 3D yet, I still haven't ordered it via Sky, worried it might well be naff and a waste of a price of a bottle of red.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.