Sin City 2: A Dame to Kill For 3D AVForums Review

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Isn't this a prequel rather than a sequel?
didn't some of the characters get killed of in Sin City

Well this has not helped me decide if the SB is worth it at all Cas :facepalm::laugh::p

Thank you, It is hard to justify my Steelbook habit to SWMBO :p

Isn't this a prequel rather than a sequel?
didn't some of the characters get killed of in Sin City

Yup, but as Gimpli said, it's hard to call it definitively one or another. All of the events in Sin City 2 take place after the earliest events in Sin City (the beginning of Yellow Bast) but before the later events in Sin City (the end of Hard Goodbye).

Well this has not helped me decide if the SB is worth it at all Cas :facepalm::laugh::p

My only hesitation is similar to the 'is it worth seeing at the cinema?' hesitation - will the first BD release sport the Recut, Extended Edition, or will this be double-dip time and, if the latter, will we get a second SB too (potentially with better artwork)?

But who wants to take the risk? You've done the right thing by ordering it mate. Now, Lucy, on the other hand... that's a much harder decision... :D

Anyone know how much the Weinsteins have chopped out of this?

If it follows the same formula as the first, it'll be a scene here and there - enough to just about make them long enough to be made into standalone chapters like they did with Sin City.

The stories themselves are quite well adhered to, with only a few scenes removed from the original Dame to Kill For book, and almost nothing taken out of the Just Another Saturday Night short story, although it was very sharply edited.

As for the new stuff, I'd be surprised if there wasn't more to Nancy's segment.

To be fair, I don't think that the Weinsteins would have said 'cut X or Y' on this occasion, more like 'make it 100 minutes long or we won't distribute it', not that that's any nicer! And fast cuts have been employed for the most part, ramping up the pace over the first one certainly, even if the film doesn't seem anywhere near as compelling and so, thus, feels longer...

I think the more detrimental effect they had was in delaying the project for so long (because they wouldn't fund it, and would only distribute it) and so poorly marketing it. I get the feeling that they enjoy trampling over films when they don't get their way (Snowpiercer) even if it actually ends up costing them money. Now that's power.

I think the more detrimental effect they had was in delaying the project for so long (because they wouldn't fund it, and would only distribute it) and so poorly marketing it. I get the feeling that they enjoy trampling over films when they don't get their way (Snowpiercer) even if it actually ends up costing them money. Now that's power.

I think that could be right. I really enjoyed the first film but when I watched it I had no idea it existed as a book\comic. Even since then I've never read any of story so when the second film came along I had no idea that it was going to be that related to the first. I have Sin City on BD and I should have watched it first before seeing the second film.

So being so far apart, I had forgotten the first film so didn't really pick up on any of the relationships except the obvious one (Hartigan and Junior).

I have Cineworld Unlimited so next weekend I probably watch Sin City and then go and watch Sin City 2 again.

Cheers,

Nigel

I liked the first film, I HATED the sequel.

Its just awesome \o/

Finally got round to seeing this yesterday, really enjoyed it.
It didn't wow me as much as the first one (probably because I'd never seen anything like that before), but still a really good film.
This seemed more linear, less jumping back and forth between stories.
Two small complaints - needed more Bruce Willis and I preferred the original Miho.

have they released an uncut version yet?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom