Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple wii questions from a newcomer!

Discussion in 'Wii & Wii-U' started by audioenthusiast, Jan 11, 2012.

1. audioenthusiast

audioenthusiast Active Member

Ratings:
    +599
    Hi there,
    I'm new to the games area of the forums, looking for help as a complete beginner.

Over Christmas, my girlfriend and I had fun playing on a wii when we were round at friends' and relatives' houses. Neither of us are usually into computer games, but the wii was easy for us to pick up and play, and have fun with immediately.

So now we're thinking of getting our own one, as they don't seem to be too expensive.

I've had a look around at the products for sale, and my questions for you all...

What's the difference between the motion plus remote and a normal one?

From what I understand, it 'does' surround sound, but only has two-channel analogue outputs. Is it any good when connected to a mid-range AVR and speakers? (Onkyo TX-SR508, XTZ speakers)

Are the fitness/balance-board games actually any good in terms of fitness/toning? Dianne has expressed an interest in this if it is.

What is the usual lifespan of the console? It's cheap, so I'd expect not built to particularly high standards. Is buying second-hand therefore a bad idea? Is there any particular thing that often breaks?

Does the sensor part work equally well mounted below the screen as above it? Our TV is mounted relatively high on the wall.

Can you recommend any specific games/bundles for us? The console would have to be black to meet Dianne's approval.

Think that's all for now. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. audioenthusiast

Ratings:
    +599
  3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,008
    I've never seen a motion plus, so can't comment on that one.

It ouputs stereo, but from what I've seen, some of the soundtracks are designed for Dolby prologic.
    It can work quite well.

Crikey, yes!
    But the same as anything, you have to take it seriously, push yourself and stick at it. They're deadly serious and doctors and all sorts were involved in their development. It's just that the games try to make it more enjoyable.
    10 mins of boxing (Wii sports) will confirm that :D

S/H is an option.
    They're not know for being reliable as such.
    In fact, I don't remember them being even mentioned on here much at all.
    Mine's been flawless, but it doesn't get used that much, tbf.
    The favourite fault, at a guess, would be the laser.

My telly is mounted about a metre (50", centre height) off the floor.
    I've used the sensor bar top and bottom and both were perfectly fine.
    I don't see further extremes being a problem.

Well, we're not massive gamers, given our age, but Wii Sports, the balance board and Wii Fit are top of the list.
    Mariokart is up there (all different versions are just variations of a theme imo) too.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Badger0-0

Ratings:
    +2,008
    Correction;

They're not known for being unreliable :suicide:

Sorry for any confusion.
  5. audioenthusiast

Ratings:
    +599
    Thanks, sounds like it could be something we'd want then.
    Is a balance board ok on the lounge carpet? Not going to mark or wear it or anything? Not the end of the world if it would, I suppose we can get a mat to put under it.
  6. Badger0-0

Ratings:
    +2,008
    There are some lumps on the bottom of the board, which over time might take out the carpet.
    But I've never really seen it as much of a problem.

If you're patient, the boards do crop up in the classifieds every now and again.
    And I'd guess they're plentiful on fleabay.

I keep threatening to sell ours, as it's only had a few hours use, but she always threatens me with violence, as she insists she's going to use it more :laugh:
  7. skin2k

skin2k Member

Ratings:
    +3
    My Wii is conected to my 5.1 DTS system and the sound is pretty good.

Nintendo consoles are normaly bulletproof.
  8. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer Member

Ratings:
    +221
    I think you mean the Wii Remote Plus and the normal one. The Wii Remote plus has the Motion Plus sensor built in which is used by some games (e.g. Wii Sports Resort) to provide more accuracy.

If you do indeed mean a "motion plus remote and a normal one", the motion plus unit is a small add on that attaches to the bottom of a normal remote to make it more accurate as per above.

In short, the Wii Remote plus is the one to go for if possible since it has the motion plus integrated.

Yep, it sounds real sweet, I have mine hooked up to my Denon amp pumping out Pro Logic.

It's very reliable and built to a high quality. The parts that tend to go are the laser as mentioned by Badger0-0 and also the flaps for the SD slot and GameCube gamepads can snap off if handled roughly.

In short, the Wii is a hell of a lot more reliable and solidly built than the more expensive but shoddily made Xbox which seems to have been assembled by apes and is plagued by the well documented "red ring of death".

You can tell the Wii in the settings menu whether your sensor bar is placed above or below your TV.

Do a search of the forum as this is an often asked question. Depends what kind of games you like but New Super Mario Brothers Wii and Super Mario Kart Wii would be a good start.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Derek S-H

Derek S-H Member

Ratings:
    +137
    1. Some newer games are Wii Motion+ only (like Tiger Woods or Zelda), so it's worth getting one of those controllers with the function built in if it works out cheaper to do so, instead of getting a standard Wiimote and separate Motion+ add on.

2. Got mine connected up to my telly via Component (highly recommended, much better than standard composite in the box) and Yamaha amp via red and white stereo leads - sounds huge!

3. The fitness games are excellent, especially EA Sports Active or any of the boxing games. Most of the fitness games are similar to having a personal trainer, with the emphasis on balance, strength, stamina and flexibility, and creating your own customised training programmes.

4. I've had my console since 2008 and never had any problems.

5. In my opinion, the best bundles are on Amazon. I picked up a new black Wii with black Wiimote and copies of Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort for £97.50 in December for my sister. The price does go up and down, so it's worth checking regularly.

Good luck!

Derek
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. audioenthusiast

Ratings:
    +599
    Thanks for the advice everybody, looks like I know pretty much what I need to know. I'll take a look around the classifieds here, before looking online for brand new.

I think my shopping list to start me off is:
    Black wii
    2 x black wii remote plus
    Balance board (colour not important)
    Double charging station and battery pack
    Mario kart & wheels
    Wii fit plus

Dodgy_geezer, do I understand you correctly that a normal remote and a motion plus unit combined are identical to the remote plus? So if buying second-hand, it doesn't matter than a bundle doesn't come with the 'plus' remote.

Derek, I have both component and composite inputs on my AVR, so I'll look into the upgrade of a component cable.

The next time you hear from me, I may be a video games addict :blush:
  11. NiggyG

NiggyG Member

Ratings:
    +38
    They are not identical, when you buy the motion plus separately it's a little additional unit that fits into the bottom of the wiimote, it adds ~3cm to it. With the wiimote plus it's built into the remote. Aside from aesthetics though they will function identically.

I have an official component cable that I'm not using. If you interested I'll put an advert up in the for sale section.

Might be of interest - Black Nintendo Wii Console
  12. audioenthusiast

Ratings:
    +599
    Thanks for the link. As I read it, that bundle comes with a regular remote and a motionplus add-on.
    For games that do also work without motionplus (like mario kart), is there any benefit to having it? Because I would guess that the remote won't fit in the wheel if you've got the attachment.

As for buying your cable, I'll let you know on that one. I'll wait until I've got the larger items, as whoever I buy from might have one to chuck in.
  13. NiggyG

NiggyG Member

Ratings:
    +38

With the bundle even though it reads as if the motion plus is seperate, it's actually the one with it built in. It's the same package as this (Nintendo Wii Console (Black) with Mario Kart Wii: Includes Wii Wheel and Wii Remote Plus: Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games) but they are also chucking in the Zumba game.

Your right about the remote not fitting the wheel when the motion plus is external.
  14. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer Member

Ratings:
    +221

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  15. Adrian Hughes

Adrian Hughes Member

Ratings:
    +6
    That deal from amazon is a steal. I
    A HUGE gamer having nearly all consoles apart from xbox360 due to the poor RROD issue. Since my days on the N64 the wii and PS3 are my current consoles. My advice would be - 100% get the amazon deal. Why get 2nd hand and save £20 or so? Pointless. 2nd hand half the time people are selling for a reason such as games not loading all the time or controllers not working well or full of dust!!. Get the black wii, buy a separate black wii remote plus with built in wii motion. Feels better on games such as super Mario bros where u need to turn the controller. Keep it all back! Looks smart. Get the classics : Mario galaxy 1&2, super Mario, zeldas, Mario kart, wii fits, donkey kong, wii sports resort, big brain academy - a wii component cable!!! Don't get 2nd hand, huge mistake - its very cheap for what u get.
  16. audioenthusiast

Ratings:
    +599
    Thanks for the continued advice.
    This morning I ordered the same bundle as the £115 Amazon one, and zelda skyward sword all for under £120 from The Hut.
    Can't wait for it to arrive!

Will carry on looking for balance board and wii fit plus second-hand though, as there don't seem to be any offers on really.

I'm also after another remote plus and wheel, and the component cable and charge station.

I've had a look around, and 3rd-party remote plus can be had for around £15, instead of £30+ for the official one.
    Is a non-serious gamer going to notice the difference?
    Black Remote and Nunchuck controller for Nintendo Wii+built in motion plus | eBay
    Black Remote and Nunchuck controller for Nintendo Wii+built in motion plus | eBay
    Opinions?
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  17. NiggyG

NiggyG Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I've not tried one of the 3rd party controllers but that is quite a saving as it includes a nunchuck too. If it's similar to the ones I saw in ASDA over the weekend I'd personally avoid it. They were smaller (so won't fit into wheels) and looked cheap.

I still have my official component cable if your looking for one.
  18. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer Member

Ratings:
    +221
    I wouldn't buy third party ones and avoid eBay too as they are full of fake Wii Remotes being sold as "genuine". See my post on this thread about scammers on eBay selling fake Wii remotes.

Stick with genuine kit bought from established retail outlets. You could always buy a bundle like Wii Play which comes with an additional remote or check the classifieds here on AVF.
  19. audioenthusiast

Ratings:
    +599
  20. NiggyG

NiggyG Member

Ratings:
    +38
  21. Adrian Hughes

Adrian Hughes Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Avoid 3rd party like the plague - had 3 we hired out on events through a company and they were awful!! Asda have originals for around £26. 3rd party ones loose sync and seem all over the place. The wii motion plus side is non existent. There ok for kids for messing around on with mates but no chance would I be using them. You can't beat the feel of the original. Get wii play motion and get the red one! Wii play motion is a cool party game too!
  22. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +251
    i'm a wii newb as well after getting one for xmas....for the kids honest....

.....got a couple of shooting games....chicken riot for the family....house of the dead for me

the remote snaps into a plastic gun ...which are only about 3 or 4 quid and feel nicely weighted with the remote in it

....good fun

cheers.
  23. vyleside

vyleside Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Two games you must buy after you get tired of waggleware:

Xenoblade
    Skyward Sword.

That is all.
  24. audioenthusiast

Ratings:
    +599
    Got that bundled in with the console.
  25. rcaudwell

rcaudwell Member

Ratings:
    +138
    Better to get a flat piece of board to put it on, there are 4 "feet" on the corners of the balanceboard which will work much better if on a hard surface rather than sinking into carpet
  26. audioenthusiast

Ratings:
    +599
    Thanks again for the help, everybody. I've got my Wii and Mario bundle, which the missus and I had fun playing last night! Also waiting for the Zelda game to be delivered. No idea why they didn't package it together to save on postage!

And to those posting about the remotes, I'm going to pay extra and go with a genuine one. I would have gone for the Wii Play bundle, but the missus insists we get black. And I can't find the bundle in black in stock in the UK. So I'm looking for a second-hand remote.

Now to my latest problem - video output.
    I got the component cable from NiggyG, and plugged straight into the TV's component input that works perfectly.
    But my TV is wall-mounted, with cables in-wall between my AVR and TV.
    Now it turns out that my AVR manages video inputs to its video outputs, but doesn't convert between formats. So wii to the AVR's component input can only come out of the AVR's component output!
    There isn't much room in the conduit and I've got quite a few things in there already. So I can't run a component (or composite) from AVR to TV.

As a solution to my problem, what do you think of this device?
    Wii2 HDMI Converter for Wii Console - Free Shipping
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wii-HDMI-...Games_Cables_and_Adaptors&hash=item2a162552ed
    I don't really want to have another box visible in my rack (or rather my girlfriend wouldn't!), so if this think will do the job and hang out the back of the wii, it looks perfect. Can anybody think of any problems with formats or anything?
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  27. Derek S-H

Derek S-H Member

Ratings:
    +137
    See my reply on this Thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/wii-wii-u/1579053-stupid-simple-question.html

The HDMIKey actually arrived today but I was still at work, I should be able to pick it up from the sorting office on Monday.

And I'll write a review on here once it's connected up!

Derek

p.s. The Wii2HDMI has picked up some bad reviews on the Net, so I decided to pay extra for the HDMIKey because:

1. They have an actual website with information and technical support.
    2. It was "reviewed" on YouTube:

Are there any differences between the two devices other than £15? Probably not, but I'd rather pay more and get something that works instead of pay less but potentially (according to some online reviews) not work at all.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  28. audioenthusiast

Ratings:
    +599
  29. Derek S-H

Derek S-H Member

Ratings:
    +137
    Feel free to add a review to my "Wii HDMI review" Thread, then!

Derek