1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim2 HT3000E and new DLP advancment

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by gandley, Jun 15, 2007.

1. gandley

gandley Active Member

Ratings:
    +293
    as thread title, borrowed form the rather nice Alan Couger

UniShape sounds interesting, but will it effect bulb life?

Link to the thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=857743
  2. Zag

Zag Member

Ratings:
    +46
    High speed modulation of the lamp intensity in sync with the colour wheel by the sound of things.

Has some advantages over a DI but I don't think this is much/if any advancement by the DLP camp to be honest, plus I really can't see how this could reduce colour separation artifacts, my biggest issue with this technology.

Rather than addressing the minor issues (for my eyes anyway), develop a colour wheel fast enough or designed in such a way( Archimedean spiral... whatever happened to that) that solves the RBE issue for everyone, period.

Then and only then will I consider a demo of a DLP machine once again.

Apologies for sounding negative but I really can't get excited about DLP until it addresses its achilles heel and makes the technology watchable by all.
  3. RTFM

RTFM Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I had an opportunity to see the latest version of the SIM2 Grand Cinema HT3000E when Alan brought one over a few weeks ago and I have to say it was definitely a lot brighter than the original HT3000. Skin tones were spot on and shadow detail and black level much improved. Grey scale tracking was exemplary.
  4. gandley

gandley Active Member

Ratings:
    +293
    did you notice any bulb pumping? It does sound very interesting.
  5. Welwynnick

Welwynnick Active Member

Ratings:
    +797
    I've been following that thread for a while, and I'm still trying to figure out how it works. It sounds like source modulation, but done quickly enough to synchronise with individual mirror switching, so pretty quickly indeed.

Can you actually do that with these bulbs? I thought they could only switch on and off very slowly. If not, it's such an obvious thing to do then why hasn't anyone done it before?

Very puzzled,

Nick
  6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot Active Member

Ratings:
    +789
    I think that because the lamp relies on an arc rather than a filament to generate light, the arc can be controlled quite quickly, whereas with a filament it has to heat up and cool down so wouldn't work for this kind of application.

Gary
  7. RTFM

RTFM Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Did not notice anything untoward. The technology seems to work rather well.
  8. Chris Frost

Chris Frost Active Member

Ratings:
    +119
    Barco developed and used a modulated lamp technology on their CineVersum range of single chip DLPs for the last 5+ years. It works well.

Barco's use of this technology helps address some other issues such as correcting the red deficiency in UHP lamps. It also means that post calibration brightness is as much as 50% higher than similar rated projectors that use a conventional UHP lamp driver. There are some other benefits too with greyscale and colour performance, so this sort of technology is useful and the benefits are proven.
  9. Gary Lightfoot

Ratings:
    +789
    Hi Chris,

Interesting stuff - any idea how lamp modulation by itself helps address the red deficiency in the lamp?

Cheers

Gary
  10. Chris Frost

Chris Frost Active Member

Ratings:
    +119
    There's a good image of the spectral plot of UHP vs Xenon on the Cine4home web site. The red deficiency of UHP is easy to see. Here's a link

What Barco do is drive the lamp brightness in sync with the phases of the colour wheel. During the green and blue phases the lamp is driven at a slightly lower level. During the red phase it is driven at a higher level.

The result on screen is equal proportions of red green and blue despite the inherent nature of the UHP lamp to be lacking red. This is what helps make the Barco single chip DLPs far brighter after calibration than other projectors using a similar wattage lamp.
  11. Gary Lightfoot

Ratings:
    +789
    Hi Chris,

Yes I've seen those spectral graphs (I've even posted them here in the past) - I'm still after a CRT one though. There must be one out there somewhere (I only have a colorimiter and they don't have spectral capability, otherwise I'd use it on my Seleco 310)...

Thanks for the explanation on the lamp modulation - that has to be pretty fast as the colour wheels rotate pretty darn quick!

Gary
  12. Greg young

Greg young Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The Sim2 C3X now has a C3Xe three chip which also has the added 10 bit processing which has improved the image and made it even more stellar. The image according to those who have seen it is cleaner, sharper than ever before. Has anyone had a chance to see the C3Xe and care to comment on it. Thanks Greg