Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shotgun cable or twin single, which is best?

Discussion in 'Freesat Forum' started by Andycole1970, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Andycole1970

Andycole1970 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Might be a minor difference, but I thought it was worth asking....
    I want to upgrade my satellite installation to enable me to get the twin tuner freesat PVR. Which is the best cable to get, quality wise? Shotgun cable (2 feeds in one cable) or 2 lengths of single coax cable? Or is the difference minimal? The cable run will be approximately 15 metres, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance
    Andy
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,096
    There is no difference shotgun is just two normal satellite cables effectively glued together. It's just easier and neater to run than two singles.
  3. Andycole1970

Andycole1970 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ah, you say that, but people selling shotgun cable say that it takes up no more room than 1 standard cable, which suggests that either the core or the insulation is thinner. They also say that the quality is just as good. One of those 2 statements must be untrue I would think. I expect that there is a tiny loss of signal strength in the (thinner) shotgun cable, so the point of my post, I suess, is to ask does anyone know if there is any noticeable difference in picture quality?

thanks
    Andy
  4. jerryq7777

jerryq7777 Active Member

Ratings:
    +379
    Well i bought webro wf100 shotgun cable and its definetly not slimmer as graham says its just 2 cables glued together.I was expecting it to be slimmer and thought i was going to have a problem routing it down the inner wall but it sailed through :smashin:
  5. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    AS you say if it's WF100 then that's the individual cable spec and will be electically identical to wf100 single cable
  6. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,097
    Beware most shotgun cable sold is CT63 or WF65 cable and is two thinner diameter cables that will pass through the same hole as WC100 standard cable and is only really suitable for runs of to 20 metres dish to receiver.

There is also WF100 twin cable which is basically two WF100 cables moulded together and is suitable for runs of up to 60 metres or so depending on signal level available from lnb.

See here for a lot more info on cables available
    Coaxial satellite digital fully-screened cable
  7. Andycole1970

Andycole1970 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    My dish-receiver distance will be less than 20 metres, so I'm fine with that.

What happnens over 20m? Signal breakup?

Andy
  8. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    Signal loss the longer the cable (and the higher the frequency) the more the loss. As the signal weakens it's also more prone to interference
  9. Philealing

Philealing Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am struggling to find WF100 twin cable at a reasonable price. I have found a drum of 125m for £50 on eBay where claims to be RG6 "which is identical to WF100". Is this true? Failing that I have found 100m on Screwfix called "Labgear Black Shotgun Coaxial Cable" but it does not say if it is WF100 or not. Any ideas anyone? My cable run will be around 50m.
  10. Anoraknophobia

Anoraknophobia Member

Ratings:
    +3
    If you're already convinced that two single runs of single core co-ax is better than shotgun then why bother asking the question ? .:rolleyes:

I've just ran 30m of shotgun cable - No loss of signal quality whatsoever, but if you want to run two single co-axes fire ahead ! .:smashin:
    o
  11. oldcro

oldcro Member

Ratings:
    +4
  12. hs43

hs43 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wish I'd checked these posts before buying my last lot of cable - rewiring all my cables and have bought Webro Twin 63-008. Its thinner than another run of high quality single cable but both ARE doubled shielded.

2 things I'm wondering

1) Am running wires from multiroom booster in the attic to two rooms next to each other downstairs - so shall i use this cable - save me from running twice then just use coaxial plug adapters

2) if this is a quality cable for my SD viewing on a decent large plasma?
  13. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    If you have a reasonable source signal this should be fine, as you say best to terminate and join (if needed) using f type plugs (make sure you get the smaller size, WF100 f plugs are too big) and f to belling lee adaptors where you have to.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1