Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett) Blu-ray releases

Discussion in 'Blu-rays, DVDs & Streaming Services' started by Indiana Jones, May 27, 2013.

1. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,497
    I have been a big fan of Sherlock Holmes for along time and the Jeremy Brett series ITV produced in the 80s-90s was for me one of if not the best adaptations and ever since I heard that ITV had restored the episodes I have been eagerly awaiting a BD release but apart from a super expensive Japanese boxset I had not heard of anywhere else getting them, that was until yesterday.

It seems for the last few months Spain has been getting releases with the final one due in just 2 days and the reviews I have read have been very favorable, links below...

Sherlock Holmes Feature Length Episodes

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

The Return of Sherlock Holmes

The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

The first 3 releases are just over £7 each with the others ranging from £12-£17 each so the entire collection will cost about £56 delivered which compared to the Japanese price tag of £250+ is very wallet friendly so I placed an order last night for all 5 titles and 4 will be shipping soon with the final release to follow when released in 2 days.

Cant wait to relive this fantastic series :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
  2. bigry

bigry Active Member

Ratings:
    +541
    i count 7 discs from the first 4 releases so unless the last release has 5 discs then somethings missing as the japanese releases is a 12 disc set :confused:
  3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,497
    They are not the exact same discs, the episodes are spread out more on the Japanese set with the Spanish releases containing more episodes per disc with each one averaging about 16mbps.

How much of a difference there is between the Spanish and Japanese releases in terms of picture quality I don't know but I would prefer to try out these before dropping £250+ on a set which might only be marginally better.
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
  4. bigry

bigry Active Member

Ratings:
    +541
    can you update when you have chance to checkout the PQ please :)
  5. tanglung

tanglung Member

Ratings:
    +101
    can we post screenshots here? my brother has been getting these,could post some up if there's interest.
  6. max222

max222 Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Would be extremely interested in comments on picture quality if you get a chance
  7. brian s

brian s Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,312
    Of course you can.

Bri
  8. soundstory

soundstory Active Member

Ratings:
    +208
    Yes I'd be very interested in seeing the picture quality as well
  9. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,497
    Had confirmation of dispatch for the first 4 releases this morning with Memoirs due to ship tomorrow :clap:

I selected 'Group orders together' to save on shipping but looks like they split them anyway at their cost, cant argue with that :laugh:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. soundstory

soundstory Active Member

Ratings:
    +208
    I'm in complete agreement with you regarding Jeremy Brett's portrayal of Sherlock Holmes, in fact Granada did a wonderful job as well.

Let's hope they look the business !!
  11. sugarbuzz

sugarbuzz Member

Ratings:
    +69
    I've had those Sherlock Holmes blu-rays along with some Poirot in my basket for a while - I think it may be time I hit the buy button!

Edit: Just ordered them along with the Basil Rathbone collection as well!
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
  12. probedb

probedb Active Member

Ratings:
    +179
    Ooo thanks for this! I love this series. I've already got all the US Blu-Ray releases of Poirot so will await your reviews
    :)

I find it amusing that two classic British series aren't getting releases on BR over here because they don't think they'll sell. At least that's what Acorn Media said when I asked about the Poirot discs.
  13. pRot3us

pRot3us Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,055
    Hmm, I'll probably end up buying these despite the fact that I bought the dvd boxset years ago and still haven't watched a single episode. :facepalm:
    Wise choice sir, a great boxset!
  14. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,497
    I have to give it to Amazon.es, they said the package would be here today before 6:30pm and it certainly was :)

[​IMG]
  15. probedb

probedb Active Member

Ratings:
    +179
    Are the Feature Length episodes also on the 4 individual series discs?
  16. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,497
    No all the episodes are spread out over the 5 releases.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. bigry

bigry Active Member

Ratings:
    +541
    any news on PQ andy?
  18. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,497
    Haven't broken the seal on any of them yet, bit too warm to be sitting inside watching BD's lol

If anyone has the ability to take screen grabs from the DVD's please take a few and post the times and I will take some grabs from the BD's.
  19. probedb

probedb Active Member

Ratings:
    +179
    Have you managed to take a look at these yet? I know with the Poirot discs the difference was immediately noticeable for me as I was so used to the DVDs :)

I can't decide whether or not to hit buy as I don't believe Acorn Media are responsible for these in the US so a release might not happen?

Next on my list would be Inspector Morse getting the remaster treatment assuming it was shot on film?
  20. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,497
    I am ashamed to say no I haven't, the weather has been too nice to sit inside watching BD's but I plan on starting the feature length episodes this weekend.
  21. max222

max222 Member

Ratings:
    +42
    I have not watched the DVDs in years (original massive box set about 2 feet long!) - but from memory the picture quality was appalling -so hopefully these should be a real upgrade
  22. probedb

probedb Active Member

Ratings:
    +179
    No problem :) We've got to make the best out of the few days of summer we're getting!
  23. Goooner

Goooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,584
    I've got that one too. Would be a worthwile space-saving upgrade, even without any picture quality improvement :)
  24. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    It's madness and it is the same for Midsomer Murders as well :(
  25. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    I may be wrong but I think they remastered the DVDs and that the more compact boxsets that are currently available have better PQ. I have the newer set and thought it was pretty reasonable. I'm not as discerning as some, though!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,497
    You are correct, I had the remastered DVD set but sold it last year when I learnt of the Japanese set, it looked pretty good and opinions I have read are that the BDs are yet another step up in quality, really should get started on them :rolleyes:
  27. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Good to know that I'm not talking through my hat! It's a great series but it would have a lot of competition for the cash required to upgrade to BD. Will keep a watching brief and will look forward to reading your views on them. :smashin:
  28. probedb

probedb Active Member

Ratings:
    +179
    I know. It's a pity Acorn have no plans to redo the earlier Midsomers either, the DVDs are 14:9 :/ Another series is Dalziel and Pascoe, you can only get the 1st 2 series on DVD here, the rest are Danish (?) releases.

I'm currently rewatching Morse as well, now those are fairly bad quality...very grainy which is fine but even my Oppo is having trouble locking on and deinterlacing them properly all the time.

Will look forwards to seeing your review Indiana Jones :)
  29. max222

max222 Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Right - at the very least then that huge ugly box set is going - and at least replaced with the better DVDs !
  30. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,497
    Just received a dispatch email for the last BD 'Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes' :clap:

Its still listed as 1-4 weeks wait so guess they didn't get too many copies in but the price has gone down from the 20.00 Euros to just over 15.00 Euros, wonder if they will refund the difference.