Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp Aquos - How to connect to my PC.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by duncs, Jan 30, 2006.

1. duncs

duncs Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope some one can help here because I am having a few problems getting this to work.

I have an LC32GA4E wich I am trying to connect to my PC. I currently only have D-Sub connectors so I am using the HDMI to D-Sub converters that came with my Graphics card (XFX 7800GT). I can connect my PC to my Relisys 17in LCD and this works well. Which ever resolution I chose (with in reason of course) and the TV picks up the signal through the D-Sub and resizes the picture. However, when the Sharp is connected to the PC, I get the BIOS boot screen and the windows loading screen. But when it is supposed to display the windows log in, I just get a blank screen.

I have tried a number of things to resolve this including running the Relisys on component or S-Video while the Sharp is connected using D-Sub in the hope that I could use the second Monitor to help configure the resolution/frequency. But if the Sharp is plugged in then both monitors go blank. It seems that the every resolution that I choose (even standard VESA resolutions such as 1024/768 @60) aren't recognised by my TV so it just goes into a sulk.

Has anyone had any success with setting up their Aquos with their PC? Is there anything that I have missed in my setup. Nearly 2k on a TV and it doesn't work :mad: when my £400 cheepo works fine.

Any help with this and I will be extreamly greatful. PLEASE! :smashin:
  2. greyhorse

greyhorse Member

Ratings:
    +3
    try 800 x 600 first and then you could try using power strip, do a search first and it will help you creat custom display drivers, but I would have thought your gfx card could display the screens native res, how ever I would check that the screen will allow you to use the full res of your display, some dont, You then end up with a crap 800 x 600, something to do with cutting costs etc. I think some of the phillips suffer this fault.
  3. duncs

duncs Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've checked the manual and the TV supports many native resolutions and frequencies. So far Ive tried 640/480, 640/400, 800/600, 1024,768 and 1360/768 all at 60Hz. It also supports many frequencies (unlike many TVs). I wouldn't have thought that power strip was needed unless I wanted to run dot for dot @ 1366/768.

I know this TV is designed for PC input but I'll give powerstrip a go at the weekend. I guess I'll have to try every available resolution in the manual as well to see any of them work.

Frequencies supported -
    56, 60, 67, 72, 75, 80, 85Hz

Resolutions Supported -
    640 x 400, 720 x 400, 640 x 480, 848 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, 1280 x 720, 1280 x 768, 1366 x 768, 1280 x 1024.

Any other suggestions? It looks like the TV may be duff (for PC anyway) and I want to try all solutions before I RMA it.

Cheers.
  4. duncs

duncs Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well - I'm at a total loss now.

I spoke to Sharp and they told me that I am connecting it the wrong way. I'm using a VGA to DVI adapter on each end of a VGA cable. They told me that I couldn't be as VGA is totally different from DVI. So I explained that the DVI connector on the TV supported DVI-D and DVI-A as it had PC Digital and PC anologue settings. The DVI-A is just a pin mapping of a VGA signal.

It this point he told me that DVI-A doesn't exist :eek: and that I should be using either DVI-I cables or DVI-D cables. He then didn't understand that a DVI to VGA converter only maps pins and he thought that it actually converted the signal :eek: :eek: Apparently, he has never heard of any one using a VGA cable and adpaters to run their TV. :rotfl:

So, the only solution he gave was to buy a DVI-D or DVI-I cable and to try that one out.

So am I going mad or what? I'm sure many other people run their VGA cards via VGA cables and adapters.

Failing the DVI route, he told me that it would cost me £350 to return the TV for testing. I have lost all confidence in Sharp being able to identify a problem with my TV given that they don't even know that VGA to DVI-A adapters are all ratified in the DVI standard.

Anyone - any more advice on things to check before I potentially waste another £350 :lease:

Edit: - perhaps I am going mad and its my graphics card or connectors thats the problem. But being able to run another monitor via the same cable and converters suggest that its not.
  5. greyhorse

greyhorse Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Have just tried one screen at a time, perhaps your card wont run 2 screens, isnt that what you trying to do ??
  6. duncs

duncs Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm only trying to run one screen at a time at the moment.

When I configure the working screen to a particular resolution, say 1024x768@60, remove the cable from this screen and plug it into my Aquos. Then the Aquos shows a picture. If I then change the resolution on the Aquos, the picture goes blank again. :confused:

To confuse things even more, when I then plug the cable back into the working screen, it stops working. I then need to remove the Nvidia software and reinstall it to get that one working again :confused: :confused:

My feeling is that the TV isn't comunicating the supported frequencies to the Graphics card correctly. Is there any software that will allow me to read the TVs EDID/EDDC information?