1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shared Media Files Wont Display Correct Filenames...

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Forum' started by pc5020, Jan 5, 2009.

1. pc5020

pc5020 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

Ive got an issue which drives me bonkers. I have a massive library of HD WMVs which I stream from my PC through my 360 onto my projector. The issue I have is not all the filenames of the HD WMVs display correctly under the 360s menu. For instance, if I download a HD WMV ill change the filename from its meaningless original name to say 'The Rock (1080p)'.

However, the 360 will still show the original filename even if I apply media information changes in media player. It still does it if I move the file elsewhere, apply media information changes, move it back and then apply media information changes again!

Does the 360 Cache any of this info somehow or do I need to do something on my PC to sort this, please help! :thumbsup:
  2. ukbootlegs

ukbootlegs Active Member

Ratings:
    +309
    I get this too :(

And even if I clear the xbox cache it makes no difference. Also, if I change the metadata tag of the video it makes no difference.
  3. limblee

limblee Member

Ratings:
    +248
    I think you have to move the files out of the folder that is shared, run the media sharing option in Windows Media Player to scan for new/updated files, the cache will clear over time (depending on how many you had the folder in the first place) it could take upto a hour, then place the files back in the share folder with the new name already in place.
  4. pc5020

pc5020 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ive tried that already and it still does it :mad:

ive heard someone say there is a folder on the PC that you have to rename which forces WM11 to collect all data again instead of simply applying changes?
  5. ukbootlegs

ukbootlegs Active Member

Ratings:
    +309
    nah the rescanning makes no dif

i rename them before putting them in the shared folder
  6. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,979
    Changing the filename makes no difference - you need to rename within WMP. It must be something to do with ID tagging - the first import must create the ID tag name from the filename, any changes after that must be made to the ID tag rather than the filename. How you would reset all the ID tags to re-import, I don't know.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  7. pc5020

pc5020 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ive just checked the properties of the files that are playing up and could see that the 'title' field under the description tab had the entry in that I was seeing through the 360. Ive just removed that and am re-applying media information changes to see what happens. Ill post the results. Cant believe I didnt look at that before. Im using Vista BTW.

If this does work im fine with that as there werent that many that had the issue, but if you have a massive catalogue doing this it would be nice to have a tool to remove them all a bit easier.
  8. pc5020

pc5020 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    nope thats made no difference...any ideas? :rolleyes:
  9. limblee

limblee Member

Ratings:
    +248
    Seen this on Yahoo Answers

Go to the properties of the file, then details... at the bottom it says "Remove Properties and Personal Information." Click on that and it will ask if you want to make a copy with all possible properties removed. Click ok. It will make a copy. Then go in the same details area and enter the info you want in there. Then delete the old one. This should help

How do I rename the video file names in the XBOX 360? - Yahoo! Answers

Does this work? (I can't test it, as I bought a PCH A110 and use that instead)
  10. pc5020

pc5020 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I tried that earlier and it made no difference! it also didnt ask if I wanted to make a copy it just went ahead and did it...someone must have found the solution out there :lease:
  11. limblee

limblee Member

Ratings:
    +248
    Do you have a user account "Mcx1" ?

EDIT;
    If so go to
    Turn off your 360.
    on your PC find
    C:\Users\Mcx#\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player
    Replace the "#" with the number of extenders you use.
    (ie C:\Users\Mcx1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player)
    Cut the *.wmdb files and paste into a new folder (call it backup)
    Reboot PC
    Turn on 360
    Windows will recreate the *.wmdb files with files that are in your shared folder
    Hopefully using the names that you changed.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  12. pc5020

pc5020 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ha I did have a folder named Mcx1 but I deleted it completely along with the 360 entries in the shared devices in WMP11, I then rebooted the PC and 360. I thought this would cause the folder to be recreated once the 360 accessed the media again but the folder simply isnt there anymore its not created it again and the filenames are still screwed...
  13. limblee

limblee Member

Ratings:
    +248
    Can you see any shared files now ?

Did Windows create a Mcx2 User account ?

In Windows Media Player, do you have any sharing setup ?
  14. pc5020

pc5020 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I can see all the files fine from both 360s and everything is working ok, except I still have the same files showing the wrong filenames...

No new Mcx# folders have been re-created and sharing is all setup correctly in WMP11

I dont understand why it hasnt re-created those folders!
  15. limblee

limblee Member

Ratings:
    +248
    Are you using transcode/tversity/Windows media center to stream ?
  16. pc5020

pc5020 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    just using WMP11
  17. ursapooh

ursapooh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This has plagued me and I finally figured it out. If you open Media Player, locate the file in question and rename it within the app then the Xbox will show the correct name next time you navigate to the share. I didn't have to restart anything and the file name on Windows is irrelevant.
  18. mattclarkie

mattclarkie Member

Ratings:
    +937
    It isn't localised to the 360, some files have the names and other attributes set in the ID Tag data, this is what the streamers use in most cases.

WMP changes the tag data, whereas windows changes the name of the file, that is why renaming in WMP fixes it.
  19. I stevie I

I stevie I Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why dont you use ps3 Media server?,it shows the full content of any drive/folder that you tell it to share,just restart it when you make changes to file name's and they will appear as you like.

grab from HERE