Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up Raid 5. Do I need to format the hard drives?

Discussion in 'Hard Disks & Memory' started by ghost5, Feb 22, 2008.

1. ghost5

ghost5 Member

Ratings:
    +115
    Im currently using WHS trial but its not too my liking so Ive ordered a Highpoint RocketRaid 2320 which I pick up tomorrow and Im converting my vista machine into a server.

I am currently in the middle of removing 2 x 750gb drives from whs and then I am adding a brand new one to them for the raid 5 set up.

I want to know when i set up the raid do i have to format the hard drives before they will work with the card?

I have a lot of data on the whs that needs moving to the raid set up. this could be done over my network but this is slow. I would rather transfer it over onto the drives (in ntfs format) before i take them out of the whs machine, then plug them into the raid and away i go.

thanks
  2. ghost5

ghost5 Member

Ratings:
    +115
    to answer my own question, yes all of the hard drives have to be formatted before they can used in the raid 5 set up.

this means all the data will be lost and I'll have to copy it over via my network :(
  3. mjn

mjn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,484
    You don't need to prepare any drives before putting them into a RAID array, however, all data will be deleted, as part of the array creation process.
  4. fmanness

fmanness Member

Ratings:
    +0
    RAID 5 means 1 drive out of 5 (statistically) is used for redundant data. So, of course, this has to be prepared before you can store the first bit of data. That special structure implies that all the current data will be lost.
  5. mjn

mjn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,484
    Actually, its n-1, where n = the total number of drives. So, it doesn't matter if you have 3 or 10 drives, you still only lose the capacity of one drive.
  6. bigstevex

bigstevex Member

Ratings:
    +13
    *NOTE.... minimum amount of drives for raid 5 is 3