1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Set top box -> PC/TV box -> Monitor?

Discussion in 'Freeview' started by tsloby, Dec 1, 2009.

1. tsloby

tsloby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    About a month ago I bought a KWORLD SA290Q PC/TV box. It has an inbuilt tv tuner and allows you to watch tv on your monitor but unfortunately before buying it i didn't check to see if it'd work in Australia.

I have an LG 22" LCD Monitor with DVI and VGA inputs (1680x1050)
    It has a DVI I (for pc) input and DVI I output (to monitor for pc or tv) as well as component and stereo outputs.

I'm wondering if i could connect a DVB Digital set top box, via Component -> DVI I to the pc tv box, and then from the pc tv box to monitor, and be able to watch tv through it that way, therefore the pc/tv box just acts as a sort of middle man/perhaps scaler? And then also to connect a dvd player through component -> DVI I and watch dvd's on my monitor?

I don't think it's possible to connect a set top box to my monitor, through DVI or VGA?
    I'm basically looking for a way to watch tv on my monitor firstly (without buying a new tv/pc box unless i have to), and then connect dvd player secondly, tv is the main focus though.

btw heres the specs for my monitor

Sync Input
    -Horizontal freq Analog: 30-83khz Digital (same)
    Vertical Freq. 56-75 hz

- Input form - Seperate TTL, Positive/Negative
    -SOG (Sync on Green)
    -Digital (HDCP)

Video Input Signal input - 15 pin d-sub
    -dvi-d connector digital

Input form RGB Analog (0.7 VP-p/75 ohm), Digital

any help would be appreciated
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  2. muckybucket

muckybucket Member

Ratings:
    +36
    As far as I am aware, DVI and HDMI are essentially the same, except DVI doesn't carry audio.

You can get HDMI -> DVI adapters that might work with your setup, negating the need for routing through the PC... Or perhaps a switchbox for your monitor allowing multiple sources to be connected.

Obviously you will need sound though; how were you planning to pipe that?

I may be wrong with my assumptions, but would be interested in what others have to say, as I have a couple of HDMI devices I would like to run through my PC monitor...
  3. muckybucket

muckybucket Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Forgot to ask - what outputs are available for set top box/DVD player?
  4. tsloby

tsloby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well atm i'd be using a spare Box from around the house, which only has S video and Scart, so I'd be looking to buy a HD set top box, with HDMI and component outputs, thats why i figure component to DVI-I? Couldn't find too many set top boxes with DVI outputs.

Is it possible to run a HDMI -> DVI from a set top box to my monitor?

Audio isn't an issue, my monitor doesn't have sound, ive got some logitech 5.1 speakers which have a L/R stereo adapter to the straight 3.5mm jack, so as long as the set top box has stereo out, which I'm assuming it would if it had component.

The dvd player has S-video and component outputs, it's a Pioneer, nothing fancy.

I should make it clear i'm using a laptop, that's why i can't simply get a tv card and have a dvd drive.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  5. muckybucket

muckybucket Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Mmm, like I said I think you can go HDMI -> DVI in theory, but needs checking out or verfiying by someone who knows what they are talking about!!

As far as the rest goes, a little out of my area of expertise!! :(
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. tsloby

tsloby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so i've found a bit more info, the HDMI -> DVI works, so i can go a set top box straight into my monitor.

Then perhaps i could get a component to vga converter and input the dvd player into the monitor?
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,066
    I think you will have a problem here the vga converter will ouput 50Hz unless you buy a megaexpensive one. The monitor will only sych at a minimum frequency of 56hz
  8. tsloby

tsloby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    would 56hz be low enough for a set top box (in Australia remember)?
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  9. muckybucket

muckybucket Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Personally, I would get an AV box to do all the processing both picture and sound, though not sure if that would work with a monitor...

Assume you want to spend as little as possible?! Would be easier just to buy a TV!!!
  10. tsloby

tsloby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i don't think so? I brought this monitor on impulse pretty much, if i had of waited a week i could have gone one that was a 24'' with hdmi output which was on special at the same shop for $100 less than its normal price, instead of a 22inch that would end up giving me problems for what i wanted to do, pain in the ass, but i want to use this monitor as a tv/pc monitor to save space in my room and I'm not going to go spend $500 odd on a new lcd tv.

Basically 16:9 ratio would have a small amount of letterboxing on this monitor, so if i can run a hd set top box via hdmi -> dvi i'd be happy with that? but nobody has told me weather i can or can't yet and i've scoured through pages and pages of google and havn't been able to find too much related to my situation.
  11. muckybucket

muckybucket Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I suggest getting a HDMI -> DVI converter and trying any HDMI device you can borrow or already have...
  12. muckybucket

muckybucket Member

Ratings:
    +36
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. tsloby

tsloby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    kind of, telling me things i already know most of it, I know that HDMI can go to DVI, but can my monitor support video signals coming from the set top box according to the specifications of my monitor which i posted earlier in the thread?
  14. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,066
    I told you that it's 99.999% sure it won't and the reason back in post 7
  15. muckybucket

muckybucket Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Well, physically, as long as the screen can support higher resolutions I guess it should work. Like I said, grab an adaptor and try it is all I can suggest!

Otherwise wait until someone who has actual experience in this area stops by!

Sorry I can't be more helpful... :(
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. tsloby

tsloby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    what does a vga converter have to do with a hdmi -> dvi adapter and whether a set top box would work on my monitor via those connections?