Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selfish.....

Discussion in 'Politics & Economy Forum' started by Cloverleaf, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Cloverleaf

Cloverleaf New Member

Ratings:
    +42
  2. travid

travid Active Member

Ratings:
    +626
    Wonder, the real reason, why they are doing this?
  3. Wild Weasel

Wild Weasel Active Member

Ratings:
    +665
    It's nice weather.
  4. dejongj

dejongj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,359
    And that is the problem with too many strikes, and protests. They seem not to be able to articulate what it is they have a problem with. Perhaps if they could they'd be valued more and wouldn't have the problem in the first place ;)
  5. la gran siete

la gran siete Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,401
    The travelling public need to be aware that it has been this aggressive move by Swissport to cut our members pay at a time of high inflation that has led to this strike vote."

GREED??? :confused:For greed look to the City where'll you'll find it by the bucketload
  6. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    Give that stuck record a push will you please...
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. sidicks

sidicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,224
    The company said:

"We are not cutting peoples pay. We are not increasing the amount of hours they work.

"We are asking people to spread their contractual hours over a five-day week and not a four-day week. We are keeping people in jobs."

The Unions appear oblivious to commercial realities...!
    :facepalm:

Except of course, your only knowledge of the City is through the biased pages of the Guardian...

There are greedy people on all walks of life - just because some people in the City earn high salaries does not make them greedy!
    :suicide:
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  8. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    I honestly don't know why you even bother :confused: You may as well talk to the stars, they don't move either. Scary though that there are people who just can't see what's really happening...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Palladio

Palladio Member

Ratings:
    +131
    Certainly agree with you there. We are heading towards a country/world run by a Corpocracy and the city is at the heart of it.

I'm not up to speed on the pro's and con's of this potential strike but it does make me wonder if there is such a thing as a justified strike in the eyes of the majority on this forum. Maybe they have been very lucky in life and never worked for a Company that has no real interest in the wellbeing of their employes and are purely motivated by their own greed and shareholders interests.

I would also like to rasie my hand and admit to being a Guardian reader but only for the pictures and sport. For the real news I'll read the Daily Mail and Express and occasionally the Telegraph or Times for what the dear old Queen is up to. :devil::devil:
  10. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    No I've encountered greed and bad treatment, but I do believe in personal responsibility and voted with my feet. I left that place and many other have done as well, and many other happily work there.

I don't like anyone negotiating for me and drag me down to the lowest common demoninator.

And yes any company should have their shareholders interest at the forefront, treating your staff in accordance with market reality comes part and parcel with that.
  11. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    If it's good enough for France it's good enough for us
  12. Palladio

Palladio Member

Ratings:
    +131
    I'm not convinced that the shareholders in any Company, very few of which are individuals, the vast majority being pension funds etc have the wellbeing of the employess as their number one priority.
  13. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    Of course it is not the number one priority, but if you are dependent on your labour force you treat them appropriately.
  14. dazza74

dazza74 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,444
    Doesn't exactly look like greed, just looks to be about a bunch of people who are used to 3 day's of a week not liking the idea of joining the vast majority of the workers in this country who only get 2 day's.

If I was in their position I probably wouldn't be to happy either, then again I'd like to think once I'd calmed down I'd consider whether I can find another employer willing to offer me 3 day's off with the same renumeration.

Self defeating imo these strikes, didn't seem to get the BA staff anywhere.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Cloverleaf

Cloverleaf New Member

Ratings:
    +42
    If they don't like working 5 days a week, then sack 'em. Plenty of people willing to take their place.
  16. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,471
    at least they haven't given 'safety' as a reason.......
  17. Miss Mandy

Miss Mandy Active Member

Ratings:
    +656
    From what I can gather from one of my friends why is striking, it's to do with the way the new system would work. They want the staff to do shorter shifts over 5 days, but they would also be doing less hours overall across the week and therefore would earn less money.
    I've been led to believe that at the moment they do 4 shifts on with 2 days off which is standard practice for the majority of roles/businesses at Stansted. They currently do 10-12 hour shifts on their 4 days, but it's been suggested that the new 5 shift pattern will be 6-8 hour shifts. This could potentially cost some staff over 10 hours pay per week which at £7+ an hour soon adds up.
    Still, I won't be supporting them as I'm still firmly in the camp that those in jobs should be glad to have them. I'm clearly biased though as I've been unemployed since January and am really struggling to find work.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. dazza74

dazza74 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,444
    Not biased imo, just exercising common sense. Trouble is, people today take basically a lot for granted, think the only way is up in life. Sometimes sadly it's only when you hit rock bottom you appreciate what you had.
  19. gibbsy

gibbsy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,255
    I don't know, we seem to becoming a nation of knockers. Knock the sick and disabled because they are claiming benefits. Knock the unemployed because, well they're unemployed. Knock young people because they hang around street corners because there are no jobs for them.

Lately we've been knocking the tankers drivers for not having a strike. Now we're knocking the lowly paid baggage handlers for trying to protect a perfectly legitamate working practice.

Perhaps we should knock the people who take holidays abroad for not supporting the UK's tourist industry. Think of all the young people that could be employed in Britain's hotels and tourist attractions if the vast majority of people took their holidays in our sunny isles. All that money being spent in the British economy, the benefits bill would fall, unemployment would fall. Even the construction industry would have a boost with the building of new hotels.

Now who's being selfish.:)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. travid

travid Active Member

Ratings:
    +626
    And I'm firmly in the camp that there are plenty of jobs but you are just too lazy!
    Now thats your attitude turned on its head.
    Its not really my opinion because I have no idea of your circumstances etc, so people who assume that potential strikers are being selfish at all times, or indeed are not very gratefull for having a job are probably ignorant of the facts.
  21. Palladio

Palladio Member

Ratings:
    +131
    Totally agree with you here and to think that some would just sack 'em all and bring on more lower paid workers just because there are many thousands without jobs I find quite abhorrent.

Not everybody wants to chop and change jobs, some people just want to get on with it at a half decent wage. They may not have the confidence or social skills necessary to play the markets. The very nature of this forum would suggest people who have money spare to spend on gadgets and the latest A/V gear. Stop knocking people who are less fortunate than your selfs.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,577
    A lot of people judging this from the outside.

Speaking as someone who had to decide whether or not to strike recently, for the first time in his life after 47 years, I'd suggest it's not a decision anyone takes lightly.

Did Mrs Thatcher not do a good enough job of tightening up Union legislation in the '80s?

That commie-pinko-loonie-left idiot?

Is anyone suggesting theright to strike should be withdrawn?

I mean unless it's in Poland, or under some regime we don't like, in which case that'd be a violation of human rights, naturally.

If I'm ever hit by a strike, why should I blame one side more than the other?

Steve W
  23. la gran siete

Ratings:
    +1,401
    it is noticeable that those who make those kind of comments are rather well paid themselves which makes the comments all the more reprehensible
  24. instigator

instigator Member

Ratings:
    +71
    What you really mean is that you have deeply prejudiced views of people?
  25. la gran siete

Ratings:
    +1,401
    I am completely with the union on this one because its ios clear that the workers stand to lose a considerable amount of income(in the region £1000 annually)because of shortened hours.It would be different if their hourly rate was increased to make up the shortfall but thats not on the table is it. While 1000 may not seem much to those who enjoy 70k+ salaries, its a heck of a lot to someone struggling to get by on 7ph
    It the management succeed it will be tenplate for other employers to pull the same stunt.Their motives being to increase profitability at the expense of the workforce:thumbsdow
  26. la gran siete

Ratings:
    +1,401
    no, it just means they havent a clue what they are on about
  27. sidicks

sidicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,224
    Errrrr

"We are not cutting peoples pay. We are not increasing the amount of hours they work."
    :confused:

"We are asking people to spread their contractual hours over a five-day week and not a four-day week. We are keeping people in jobs."

Business that are not profitable eventually go bankrupt and then everybody loses their jobs.

Much better to compromise and keep your job!
    :smashin:
    Sidicks
  28. instigator

instigator Member

Ratings:
    +71
    How ironic...
  29. sidicks

sidicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,224
    'Poor' people can make all sorts of comments about 'rich' people, but 'rich' people are not entitled to comment about 'poor' people.

Hmmmmm

:facepalm:

Sidicks
  30. la gran siete

Ratings:
    +1,401
    compromise is fine if no one loses out but people just dont strike on a whim.Its usually a last measure after everything else has been exhausted and is due to an obdurate management