1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secondhand power amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Processors & Power Amps' started by shaunfreeman, Sep 19, 2008.

1. shaunfreeman

shaunfreeman Member

Ratings:
    +5
    My AV Amp a Yammha 2400 just died. It was great for movies but rubbish for music.

I have decided to use my 5.1 analogue output on the dvd and make a passive preamp to adjust volume. ie mono stepped attenuators. This will be set once then left alone.

I also have a nad c532 integrated amp and find the mids/bass a bit muddled on complex music. I am going to use the power section of the nad amp to drive the rear speakers. I want to buy a secondhand poweramp to drive to front speakers.

The nad c272 was my first choice, has trimming in, but reviews are bad and thought I could get more in the secondhand market.

The roskan kandy 111, 2 channels trimmed too. good reviews.
    parasound has trimmed channels but feel more geared for movies.

Budget - £300
    driving bookshelfs epos m5 speakers

I have scanned the secondhand market and found

Roskan caspian av5 - Cheap but can it cut it in music / can it out preform the kandy
    linn lk85 / lk140 - like the look of these
    cyrus smartpower - think it might be underpowered
    tag p100 - looks good but do these still perform
    meridian 556 - looks good well built and has good reviews
    arcam p35 - are they detailed but warm, might they match better with the nad
    myryad ma120 - not sure about this one reviews are slim, and its a bit dated now.

Which would be the best amp to get. The top of my list is the linn lk140, arcam p35 and the meridian 556. Any thoughts.
  2. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,709
    Hi...out of the amps you've chosen,my money would go on the Meridian.

The Linn LK140 is OK and has a decent sound,but is perhaps a bit light on power,whereas the Meridian is a very good performer,and at least as well made as the Linn.

If you were in the market for a used Linn,I would look for a good condition Klout,if your budget went that far....this is a very much better amp than the LK140 and really does live up to it's name.
    The TAG P 100 is again a very well made amp,and servicing is still available via IAG and probably the AudioCellar as well.
  3. Shockabuku

Shockabuku Member

Ratings:
    +162
    How big is your room? Whilst maybe not the best on your list, the Cyrus Smartpower is quite a capable amp. I used one to drive some Sonus Fabers for a few years & found it really quite effective.
  4. shaunfreeman

shaunfreeman Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Room is 4x3 metres. So small room, speakers are bookshelfs but are 4ohms at 75 watts. cyrus smartpower 90w into 4ohms so it should be ok, and I like the fact it can be run in mono. But I think I can get more for my money, the meridian 556 looks a good buy. The klout is a bit too much.
  5. Shockabuku

Shockabuku Member

Ratings:
    +162
    Yeah all others things being equal, I'd say the Meridian is the most sexy on that list too :smashin:
  6. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,709
    Point taken re the Klout....the Meridian is good,reliable and can still be serviced also,as well as sounding good.
  7. shaunfreeman

shaunfreeman Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Ok I managed to track down a meridian 556

Hififorsale website. We are in email coms, he has emailed saying:

the amp is spotless its about 8 years i dont know if its been back to meridian i have not sent it back while i had it works perfect i have some pics here excuse the dust i was cleaned the day before looked ok before taking the pictures but the flash has showen every little spec but there amp has no marks on it that i can find
    i have a meridian box but its not the right 1 i still have the amp end caps for some strange reson still fits tho bar it says cd player let me know what you think.

He want £360 ovno
    So I am going to offer £350

Is this a good offer.

Also I don't understand this part:

"i still have the amp end caps for some strange reson still fits tho bar it says cd player let me know what you think."
  8. shaunfreeman

shaunfreeman Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Ok he offered to me for £345:thumbsup: but I have to arrange delivery and he is located in scotland and I live in dorset in the south:thumbsdow. How much is it going to cost to pick up the amp. Which good cheap Courier.
  9. shaunfreeman

shaunfreeman Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Brought the 556 for £360 including delivery :clap:

Thanks alexs2 and Shockabuku for the advice. :smashin: