1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SDHC driver for laptop reader

Discussion in 'Hard Disks & Memory' started by CG_Gordon, Aug 5, 2007.

1. CG_Gordon

CG_Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I recently purchased a 4GB SDHC card for my Nikon camera, the card works great in the camera but the built in slot on my laptop has difficulty reading the card. If I hook the camera up directly to the laptop via USB I can access the card but It would be far more convenient to use the built in reader.

Is it possible to update drivers for readers to take advantage of the newer SDHC cards? Any help of info would be much appreciated

Thanks

Gordon.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Andy98765

Andy98765 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,491
    A lot of SD Card readers will only look at cards upto 2Gb no matter what drivers you try installing. And there is no drivers anyway.
  3. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley Member

Ratings:
    +185
    Try this, though I doubt it will add SDHC support to old hardware. Otherwise its time for a card reader, this Mobilelite is small, fast(ish), cheap and SDHC compatible.
  4. CG_Gordon

CG_Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I seem to have a Ricoh cardbus driver on my laptop for the card reader and there hasn't been an update to the driver since 2001 :mad:
  5. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley Member

Ratings:
    +185
    Did you look for drivers just for your specific machine or more widely? You only need to match the card reader, not the laptop its in. A depressing number of manufacturers don't bother to keep up to date with drivers and the chipset suppliers often don't supply them direct. Luckily you can grab drivers meant for another laptop...

With 2001 drivers I'd rate the chance of SDHC support near zero whatever drivers you find though.
  6. CG_Gordon

CG_Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Paul, I've starting searching other manufacturers drivers...

I also found this windows hotfix for 4GB SDHC cards that might help fix half of the issue.

I'll try that tonight when I get home, whilst continuing to search for drivers.
  7. PaulBoy

PaulBoy Member

Ratings:
    +90
    I would like to resolve this issue on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop where the SD slot reads SD OK but does not recognise a SDHC card - did I miss something or does the Hotfix not provide a file/driver that you can update to?
    FWIW my SD slot is shown as "SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller" under driver manufacturer
    I have tried the Dell Tech Support Site but can't find anything that helps - Will try Google now & see what I can find ... Paul ;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. CG_Gordon

CG_Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Unfortunately the hotfix didn't seem to have any effect. I'm still not convinced that this is a hardware thing, anybody any good at writing drivers? :devil:
  9. PaulBoy

PaulBoy Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Gordon - Thanks for the PM about using this hotfix :smashin: - I tried it on my Dell laptop & the hotfix worked & the integrated SD card reader now recognises SD & SDHC cards :clap: - AV Forums does it again :thumbsup: (where's that :notworthy: smilie)
    Thanks again ... Paul ;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Chriscogir

Chriscogir Member

Ratings:
    +0
  11. millerralf

millerralf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,
    the Windows hotfix and TI driver did the trick for me and my recent Toshiba Satellite here in ChongQing, China. I've been screwing around with this for a few weeks. This should help a lot of people with similar issues. This also worked for my SSK(China) multi-card usb reader that was variable(at best) with this noebook. Many thanks:thumbsup:!