1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Samples ?

Discussion in 'Projector Screens' started by Gliese 581c, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c Active Member

Ratings:
    +482
    I'm looking to find out which company would send me some screen samples to test.

I am interested in the Da-Lite High Contrast Hi Power, Grandview Cyber and the Seymour CenterStage XD.
  2. s_inman

s_inman Active Member

Ratings:
    +301
    Your best bet is to contact them direct, I know Chris Seymour sends samples out but I'm not sure if he charges to send them to the UK.

Stuart
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Gliese 581c

Ratings:
    +482
    Thanks, I've sent emails to them all, hopefully I'll get a good response.
  4. tomdanscar

tomdanscar Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Try Allan at ideal av he deals with those manufacturers i bought my seymour 2.35 off him :thumbsup:
  5. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,761
    you have quoted 3 extremely different screen materials their

may I ask a few q`s

room enviroment, ie: decor, projector type, acoustical transparency needed, Hi contrast, tensioning?

Allan @ Ideal AV
  6. Gliese 581c

Ratings:
    +482

Unfortunately right now, in my room its all white, walls and ceiling. I will at some point this year be converting the garage into a cave dedicated for home cinema. Projector is the Optoma HD33. I'm not sure exactly yet what I'm going to do after the conversion but I'd like my speakers behind the screen hence the Seymour. Reason for trying a sample of the hi con hi power was to keep black levels (as its a grey I currently have) and try for a boost in whites and colour. The Cyber I have heard good things about so I'd like to see what its like. Tensioning... I would only buy a fixed screen.
  7. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,761
    if you are looking to place the speakers where they should be and thats behind the screen then the Seymour is the one to go for.

that said it wouldn`t work as well in a light bright room but after the conversion certainly would.

for your room as is i`d certainly recommend the Draper ReActII material, this produces great blacks if your projector allows and very true whites without spilling light back into the room which is the cause of your problems now.

I`d stick with what you have until you convert to a dedicated dark room and if you want to position the speakers properely go for the Seymour.

Allan
  8. Gliese 581c

Ratings:
    +482
    The Da-Lite samples have arrived, they sent me 8 all in. The best one to me is the HD Progressive 1.1 material, the difference is truly dramatic, it really is the good old night and day cliche. So much brighter, clearer, colours are spot on and the whole picture feels alive now rather than dramp and dull and basically lifeless picture I currently get.
  9. Gliese 581c

Ratings:
    +482
    My sample of the Seymour XD material arrived today. I don't quite know how to describe it, it's basically like a tea-bag. Hold it up, you can see through it, it's also not black backed - but project an image to it, it's like superb. Its a very clean, crisp image, and nice and bright. The colours are good on their own, but when I compare to the HD Progressive material they are not as solid/bold if you know what I mean. The weird thing is what I mentioned already, when you watch something on it, you can see the perforations. It's kinda distracting.
  10. iantan

iantan Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I am going AT and to date the Seymour is the best I've tried. My viewing distance is about 3.5m and at that I don't notice the perforations on the Seymour.

it was far more obvious on the draper and the beamax so anybody any other suggestions before I order the Seymour?

Just out of interest, how far back are you sitting Gliese 581c?
  11. Gliese 581c

Ratings:
    +482
    I am 2.7m away. I see them clear as day.

It's one of those things that because you know they are there, you see it and look for it all the time. This was only on an A4 size screen sample, I dread to think what sort of distraction it would be on my full 92"
  12. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,761
    my Seymour screen is 138" 2.40:1 and I definatley don`t see what you are seeing, mind you I am 4.4 metres back from it.

you have to back it yourself or purchase the backing material from Chris so thats why, to you, it looks like a teabag, or have it onto a dark wall behind.

to me there is nothing quite like it, it retains detail and sharpness as good or better than any other AT material i`ve seen so far.

I can`t think how many of these i`ve sold to customers but none have mentioned at all about what you are seeing.
  13. Gliese 581c

Ratings:
    +482
    I absolutely agree about the detail and sharpness, I think I mentioned it in my first thoughts. As for the backing, that is only going to help with light reflection you could probably paint your wall black behind it and not have to back it. It's the screen surface that I see the perforations in, it becomes very easy to see when you have other screen samples right next to it. I honestly cant answer why no-one else can see it, was everyone privvy to a side by side viewing using the same projector ? And as I mentioned, now that I do see it, I see it and look for it all the time which of course distracts me. Maybe I need to be further back than the 2.7m.
  14. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,761
    have you seen it backed or against a dark surface, from my seating distance I can`t see any texture at all tbh.

from 2.7mtr it does seem a bit too close for me, but its you who are sitting there so your choice.
  15. iantan

iantan Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I suppose screens are subjective and different people notice different things. I for instance was very prone to the rainbow effect so there is no way I would entertain a DLP projector.
    That said if you go down the AT route you are going to comprimise slightly whether it be acoustically or visualy is your choice. If the screen was completely flat with no perforations you would lose out acoustically and not hear the full speaker range.

All I can say that to date the Seymour is the best AT option.

Just out of interest I note you said the best Da- lite was the HD Progressive 1.1, that isn't a AT material you would need the HD Progressive 1.1 perf. Are you comparing non AT and AT screen samples?
  16. Gliese 581c

Ratings:
    +482
    Put the reverse side of my mouse mate (which is jet black) behind it, there is no difference to the surface of the screen material. I didnt think there would be. It's not light reflection thats the issue. I cant go any further back than 2.7m.

When I move rooms I would like speakers behind the screen, its no biggie if they are not. I am not comparing AT and non-AT screens. It just so happens the XD was recommended, all I'm comparing is what looks best visually.
  17. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +975
    Have you rotating the seymour material, I believe they recommend a rotation of 20°.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  18. Gliese 581c

Ratings:
    +482
    I'm going to order a bigger sample of the Seymour. I've been watching and watching and want to rule out the fact its only a small sample I have that possibly its easier to see on it.
  19. Gliese 581c

Ratings:
    +482
    Been talking with Chris, and I'm basically at the viewing distance threshold of seeing the screen material itself (which of course is my issue). I am going to try a bigger sample and also have a look at the 4k material which has no viewing distance issues.
  20. Gliese 581c

Ratings:
    +482
    Ricky, been trying to send you a PM but your inbox is full.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1