Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen 2 - the golf simulator and mini gym

Discussion in 'Members' Home Cinema Gallery' started by soupdragon, Jun 2, 2013.

1. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,041
    Screen 1 has given me much pleasure and is a state of constant evolution since its beginning in 2008. I've still plenty I want to do with the room but I've also got other plans that I would like to achieve - screen 1 thread can be found here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/memb...ra-hd-multi-masking-cinema-lets-get-work.html

Screen 2 will be a completely different theme and hopefully give every bit as much fun as I've had progressing my current home cinema setup. It will be in my garage and the plan is to have a golf simulator along with a few bits of exercise equipment such as a running machine and maybe a multi gym.

If you watch golf on sky, you'll have seen the studio golf simulator which they use and while I'm not going for a £30k system like sky run, it should still be pretty good and help to keep me swinging. I don't have a lot of time for golf these days so being able to nip out to the garage for an hour to play 18 holes round St Andrews should be a bit easier to fit in!

My inspiration comes from seeing home set ups such as this (NOTE FOR THOSE THAT ARE SKIMMING THE THREAD - THIS IS NOT MY ROOM BY THE WAY!!!):

[​IMG]

I won't have the space for that and the finish won't be a granite bar etc but I'll hopefully get something that will be pleasing on the eye.

The simulator is likely going to be Optishot or P3Proswing and will be hooked up to a laptop. I'll need a super short throw projector to ensure no shadows are cast on the screen when I'm swinging and I'll also put in an amp and sound system for when its being used for exercise workouts.

My garage was built extra large with 2 floors, with the ground floor about 20ft x 14ft and just under 10ft ceiling (this is required if you want to swing a driver) and the top floor is about 20ft x 11ft with 7ft high ceilings.

This the the garage:

[​IMG]

And this is the ground floor. Excuse the mess!

[​IMG]

As garages go, its been finished to a decent standard and walls are good for painting. Ceiling has been finished just like a house would be finished.

So this weekend I made the first steps and insulated above the ceiling and put some flooring down so that I can move all the junk to the upstairs.

[​IMG]

And now its suitable for storing stuff. I've not nailed the flooring down yet as I want to leave access for cabling, spotlights etc.

[​IMG]

This is a plan of what it should look like. The left side is the garage door and the bottom side is the side door. To the right of the side door, I will leave space for lawn mower, bbq and anything else I might want to dump in there from time to time.

[​IMG]

Below is what it will look like from the seating area. The green area will be artificial turf, about 10x10ft and I'll have the little station for amp and laptop to the right of the teeing area. This is the best spot as I'm a right handed golfer and when I'm on the tee, the laptop is convenient to access for changing holes, courses etc.
    The screen will have absorbant panels behind the actual screen material and will be about 8ft tall.

[​IMG]

Not sure why there are shadows in my 3d images but couldn't get rid of them but you get the idea. This image below is the view from the screen area looking back. Along the back I'll have some seating and on the right wall, I'll store the running machine here which can be brought out to be central to the screen. I think it will be much easier to get in the mood for running when you can look at a huge image and get some music video's on - well at least thats the theory!

[​IMG]

Thats it for now. I feel I've accomplished something getting the garage top floor usable so now I've got the mood to get my finger out, I hope to push on as fast as possible :thumbsup:
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  2. The Dreamer

The Dreamer Member

Ratings:
    +122
    Oh! This looks fun! :D

As my wife says, boys don't grow up.... Their toys just get bigger!:rotfl:

Subscribed!:smashin:
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  3. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,041
    Never a truer word spoken :D

Actually, I wasn't too bad until I joined avforums!
    Funny enough, it was here were I 1st seen discussion around golf sims and I thought, ooh, that would be fantastic, I wonder how much it costs? After a bit of research the seed was planted and when the missus said she wanted a treadmill in the garage I thought, hmm, treadmill plus maybe a few extras :D
  4. bealerDSB

bealerDSB Member

Ratings:
    +28
    This build....is going to be fantastic to watch.
    DSB.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. True Romance

True Romance Active Member

Ratings:
    +742
    Well your just showing off now :p
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Mr X

Mr X Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    Now this is a project!

Looking forward to watching your progress soupdragon, can't wait!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,041
    Thanks Guys - I'm very excited about this project. My back hurts like hell today after working through the weekend but its the kind of hurt you don't mind going through when you anticipate what your doing it for!

No showing off with this project of course, just sharing but I do appreciate that I'm very fortunate to have spare space both in my house and in my garage. As I sat crouching under the far crevices of the loft putting the underlay down I thought to myself, why have I waited so long to do this and wasted such a useful space. Its there so it would be wasteful of me not to use it (at least thats how I go about convincing myself that its the right thing to do :D )

I've also set myself a little task and thats to try and make the whole project be as cost neutral as I possibly can which is a fun challenge in itself (a bit like that tv show cash in the attic)
    I've at least £2k worth of 'junk' in my garage which I'm in the process of cleaning up and putting up for sale on gumtree. Most of it is kids stuff - furniture, top of the range prams etc. I've got a spreadsheet put together crediting income from my garage sale and debiting the cost of the items I buy. There's plenty of 'junk' inside too and with a bit of luck, I'll be able to do the install with a net zero expenditure - that would be a real triumph :clap:

I'm not shy of looking for offers on gumtree myself and I'll pick up odds and ends for the install from there. Optoma have an ebay store so that is where I will likely get my short throw projector and I'll import the golf sim from the US. The synthetic grass I can pick up locally (advertiser on gumtree :) ) and thats where I'll also get the gym equipment. I already have the laptop and the screen shouldn't be anymore than £100 (£50 for absorbant foam and £50 for timber and white material from my local blind maker)

I've got a 16 x 12 carpet plus underlay which will do for the seating area (same carpet as I have in my movie room) so its not beyond the realms of possibility that I could do this for zero spend!
  8. benjani

benjani New Member

Ratings:
    +99
    Looking forwards to this project, always well written and very interesting stuff from Soupdragon.

This is making me well jel already!!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. cragglemiester

cragglemiester Member

Ratings:
    +74
    subscribing to this, if its anything like the movie room build it will be fun and informative to follow. Good luck with it soupdragon.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. picmalkin

picmalkin Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi, looks good. Do you mind me asking what 3d modelling software your using. Is it free / any good? Thanks
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,041
    No problem, it's free software called sweethome 3d. I use Mac but I'm sure it's compatible with windows too if your a windows user.
  12. picmalkin

picmalkin Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Ahhh, that's what I use too - pics look better than sweethome3d normally does. Shadows are caused by having no roof on the model and the 'sun' aspect / time in the create photo section.

Best of luck with this - should be able to do this for a reasonable price as some of the golf kit looks not too expensive and you can always pick up a cheap 2nd hand, bright data projector.

Just found a device called golf sense 3d which looks pretty useful for swing analysis in a setup like this, or at the range for that matter.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,041
    I've never heard of golf sense, must check that out :thumbsup:

I'm hoping my experience with projectors and room treatment will help me to make the right choices as I've seen some home setups for golf sims have all the right equipment but look terrible.

The surrounding area will have green artificial turf, a light blue ceiling with some white paint 'sponged' on (to make it look like sky and clouds :D) ) and just need to decide on side walls - I don't want to have too much green but will have some plants to each side.

The key is lighting. If I have lighting above the screen pointing into the room, the reflected light back at the screen will all be secondary light which will reduce the washout of the projected image. I want to be able to have the room quite bright and I should be able to achieve this no problem as long as I follow a few basic principles.

I'll be looking at data projector at around 3000 lumens as the screen will be 8ft tall in bright conditions. My current screen and PJ is 6ft tall and 1300 lumens (but getting less than 1000 calibrated) but in my room, I can have over 200 watts of lighting watching golf on sky and it still looks ok. You can't do this for movies but golf is generally bright on most broadcasts so you can get away with it- the simulator graphics will be just as bright. 3000 lumens should allow me to light up the screen very well and still have the room nice and bright.

The golf sim itself should be between $4 and $600 depending on which one I get and a PJ at the spec I need should be about £600 new - hopefully half this for a used/refurbished one.
  14. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,041
    This is the Optishot sim graphic - bright sunny weather all year round :)

[​IMG]

You get a decent amount of info - club head speed, swing path, club head position, striking position, yardage and tempo. No spin rate or launch angle though.
  15. picmalkin

picmalkin Member

Ratings:
    +15
    TBF both these systems are more for fun and keeping your eye in and improving your game, so no launch angle or spin is no biggy I wouldn't have though. Especially given the low cost as basic versions are only £299 here

Given there is no launch angle / spin then I thought that using this golf sense 3d at the same time would at least give some more of techie outlook for those inclined :D

golfsense3d link is here it plots swing curves and speeds etc
  16. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,041
    I checked some reviews there and there are a few options which are similar. I think this would work in partnership with the full golf simulator, especially getting a visual 3D review of the swing you just made. It also got me thinking that I should maybe put a full length mirror beside the swing area so that you can actually see what you are swinging like and watch how each swing reacts on the golf sim....hmmnnn....lots to think about but the golf sense 3D looks like a neat tool alright :thumbsup:
  17. picmalkin

picmalkin Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Just get this trugolf one from the site I posted earlier and have done with it.

Only £9k! link

...but it does already include a projector!
  18. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,041
    Lol, I'll need to modify my garage clear out sale and sell my car too :D
  19. sub routine

sub routine Member

Ratings:
    +36
    superb, sounds very exciting. looking forward to seeing it completed.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. jagdeepp

jagdeepp Active Member

Ratings:
    +547
    My god.. you really are insane! :devil:

Love it. Good thing I'm not much of a golfer.:p
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,041
    Like any wannabe nut job, I convince myself that I'm perfectly sane and it's just everyone else who doesn't see sense :smoke:

Been looking at artificial turf, need to find something that I can putt on as well and make some 'cups' in the corners to putt into. That will be a pretty cool feature.
  22. benjani

benjani New Member

Ratings:
    +99
    Your ideas are truly fantastic!

I will follow this closely as I have a client who wants a golf sim installed but does not want to pay silly money for it.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. signs

signs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,306
    Brilliant !!!! i can see where the next AVF golf day will be :D
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  24. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,041
    We can play the front 9 on pebble beach and the back 9 at St Andrews :D
  25. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,041
    Thanks, I hope I can turn my ideas into reality. I seen a guy selling a complete sim set up on gumtree for £3.5k - it looks like ****. I'll do it cheaper and much better!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. signs

signs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,306
    and drink loads of beer and stay dry !! fantastic
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. eireann10

eireann10 Member

Ratings:
    +245
    Subscribing to this for sure

Looks like it could be awesome - no pressure btw

Jealous as hell already.

Good luck with the project. :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  28. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,041
    Thanks and I will try and make it as awesome as I can. I certainly won't look anything like this:

1370609668728.jpg

I've decided I would like 2 types of material for the green area. It will be mostly putting surface but I'll edge the putting surface in semi rough, something like this gives an idea:

1370609786824.jpg

I bought the rough last night, top of the range 35mm pile which looks like this:

1370609867720.jpg

This stuff is £50 per m2 RRP but I got an end of roll piece, 6m2 for £75 :thumbsup:

I just need to pick the right putting surface so I've got samples coming to help me choose.
  29. eireann10

eireann10 Member

Ratings:
    +245
    Very nice

just noticed where your from, not that far away from me.

Might have to call by when you've got it finished.;)
  30. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,041
    Not a problem - green fees will be extremely reasonable :devil:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1