scorched viewing card

jimmy5jumpers

Established Member
Reaction score
hi.
i was watching sky on HD box, and the screen kept flickering between sky picture and a black screen, and the input kept coming up (HDMI 1), then flickering back to the sky picture. As it was pouring down with rain, i put it down to the weather.
this morning was the same, and this afternoon i took the viewing card out, which was very hot. The opposite side of the pin was burnt - could this be the reason for the tv flickering back to a black screen and sky?
More importantly, why is my box overheating so much that it has burnt my card?
Sky customer services say its nothing to worry about, but an engineer is coming saturday (which means i will lose all my recordings if and when he replaces the card or box)
anyone else had this problem?
It is a genuine sky HD box.

thanks

Mine has done this a couple of times last week 3 times in total last week nothing this week

My card is also brown on the back of the chip. let us know how the visit goes

engineer came today (on time and very good at his job)
told me it was probably internal fan - common problem.
Gave me a new box, which is smaller than the last and a bigger memory (250gb), but left my scorched card in it!
Replaced the head of my dish to boost signal, and left me some extra cable as I am planning to reposition my tv soon.
Very impressed with engineer - not with sky's attitude when i phoned them originally to report the problem!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom