satellite dish systems

shabir12

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi i am a complete novice. Just purchased a panasonic with built in freesat receiver. I would like to be able to watch sporting events from around teh world but not with SKY subscription.
What is the best satelite system to buy and hwo much would i expect to pay with installation.
Thanks
Shab12

this question is possibly the most asked and therefore most commented on , suggest you read through some threads and you will find all the answers you need.

regards Dan

Hi and welcome to the forum.
It's usual to buy a receiver and a dish separately.
The receiver could cost from fifty pounds up to several hundreds.
You could receive from two or three satellite groups with a fixed dish, and from many more with a dish that has a motor to move it around.
A fixed dish and its installation might cost from £75, a motorised one up to £250.
There are some free channels, and subscriptions to channel "packages" are available, from £100 to well over £1000.
As Dan said there is a lot of detail on the forum, and a Google search will find you suppliers for the equipment, while the local Yellow Pages should find you companies to quote for the installation.

Hi i am a complete novice. Just purchased a panasonic with built in freesat receiver. I would like to be able to watch sporting events from around teh world but not with SKY subscription.
What is the best satelite system to buy and hwo much would i expect to pay with installation.
Thanks
Shab12

If you want the best .. that usually starts nowadays with a decent motorised system, it depends how big a dish you go for... they go from c. 45cm to over 3m [or bigger] but a popular size is a decent 1m motorised system & it depends on where in the UK you are how much it will get- the further south you are the more you get. Costs for decent gear properly installed are just shy of £300 ex receiver & it also depends if it has to go over a roof to get the satellite arc that usually adds to it.

The best receiver is usually a choice between a Linux receiver & non LInux receiver/ HD/ twin tuner/ clone or original ..

One you'd call 'the best' based on a c. 1m dish could be over a £1000 complete & a few go for bigger dishes that can be 1.2m, 1.8m, 2.4m or whatever costing up to £2500 [just for the dish]

It really depends where you draw the line at 'the best' but you can get a decent system complete for c. £450.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Cats was on that Mezzo channel just the other day there:D

Which I used to get and don't now.:(
I don't mind about Cats though - Eliot is OK but Lloyd Webber a big bore except for one song.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom