Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite broadband - any good?

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by antsims, Jan 29, 2012.

1. antsims

antsims Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Our Broadband speed is less than 1mb. Does anyone know if Satellite broadband is any good.
  2. SUMMONER

SUMMONER Active Member

Ratings:
    +253
    Satellite broadband is very laggy/sluggish, making gaming and Internet telephony pretty much unusable. It is also quite pricey and so is more of a last resort.

Can you please find out the name of your telephone exchange here and give en estimate of far you are away from it.

Do you live in a village/hamlet? How far away are your nearest neighbours and what kind of speeds do they get from their Internet connection?

Have you checked how good the UMTS/3G coverage is in your area?
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  3. antsims

antsims Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I live in Aberdare and BT say the town is going infinity in march, however my area of Aberdare is not having it anytime soon. Don't understand this as the town is the town right? I live in a small town in the Welsh valleys. I'm about 2/3 miles from exchange. What's umts?
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  4. KevatOrmeSat

KevatOrmeSat Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Satellite broadband is an excellent solution if you live in a rural area. The new system guarantees your speed at minimum is 6Mbs up to 10Mbs depending on your sub package. The lag or latency is half a second and not an issue unless you are high speed gaming (eg XBox). Prices per month are from £24.99 which is sound as long as you dont' download large files regularly.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. SUMMONER

SUMMONER Active Member

Ratings:
    +253
    UMTS is the technical name for what is commonly referred to as 3G.

This is your telephone exchange.

If you live 3miles straight line distance from your exchange, you are unlikely to get high broadband speeds from any of the traditional telephone line based service providers. The distance is just too great if you consider the length of the actual connection as it travels along the roads.

My brother, who lives in a Hamlet in Cornwall, gets ~ 2.5Mbit (up from ~ 1Mbit a few years back) these days and is just over 2 miles from the exchange (straight line distance). Also in his case the old telephone cable dangling off wooden telephone poles certainly doesn't help. Speeds fluctuate greatly on a day to day basis and service cuts out quite often.

If you want to try and improve your speeds I can suggest signing up to BE broadband, which is available on your local telephone exchange according to the SamKnows exchange search. Combining BE's service with a superior Draytek Vigor 2710N/2820N/2830N ADSL2+ router may improve your speeds.
    It's not a miracle cure, but has improved speeds for all those marginal customers I set it up with up to 40% (ie: 8Mbit service jumped to 11/12Mbit and 12Mbit service to 16/18Mbit).
    If you are on a std BT HomeHub at the moment you could trial a Draytek router for 7days and always send it back for refund within the 7days that the Distant Selling Regulation gives you on mail order purchases - if it makes no difference at all (carefully open the box and keep everything in perfect/pristine condition).

When it comes to Satellite broadband I suggest you contact a local installer here and ask for a demo before spending any money.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  6. antsims

antsims Active Member

Ratings:
    +112
    As the welsh assembly are giving out grants, and I'm not a gamer probably stick with sat. Thanks for all the advice though.