Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sandy Brige Motherboard

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Processors' started by fission, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Don't expect any new mobos until April, at the point the manufacturers will swap your old mobo for a new one with the B3 chipset.
  2. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Sickens me, i have to wait now to build new pc :(
  3. stoneh

stoneh Member

Ratings:
    +1
    you could buy one now and replace it when FOC when new ones come out
  4. omskie

omskie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can I connect 3Gbs SATA connections to the 6Gbs SATA port?
  5. stoneh

stoneh Member

Ratings:
    +1
    yes you can, thats exactly what I have done :laugh:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. omskie

omskie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you need an adaptor for it? Or can you use the same cable?
  7. coalfield

coalfield Member

Ratings:
    +21
    You can use a regular sata2 cable. They are backwards compatible.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. omskie

omskie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Right. Thanks for that. I'm holding back on building a new pc because of this issue but it's nice to know that I can use the 6Gbs port for older components.
  9. BradShort

BradShort Member

Ratings:
    +31
    For those guys who have a Sandybridge Gigabyte motherboard, be sure to register it here, to ensure a replacement is issued.

Further details on how the recall/replacement will take place will be released later.
  10. SirStuie

SirStuie Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Any further news on what Asus are doing? TBH I think I will wait until the Z67 motherboards are out and pay the difference with the retailer.
  11. graham.myers

graham.myers Active Member

Ratings:
    +914
    tbh I've always been a fan of ASUS (most of the machines I have built in the last few years have been asus based) but I am tending towards giga recently due to the x67 dabacle. I understand its Intel's fault, but even so, Giga tend to be more "consumer friendly" in the current fun and games. It also differentiates the current retailers on how they want to play things. When it comes to building machines for the end user it boils down to how the OEM wants to treat you.

If you buy from say Scan, and its a ASUS motherboard and its a hassle to get a replacement, is it Scan's fault or ASUS (or Gigabyte, or MSI, or whoever)? It tends to be the retailer who gets the pain as they're at the front end. I do feel for the retailer sometimes. Been there, done that! Even so, small custom builders like myself have to be uber careful. It hits us too!

Thankfully, as I'm a bit niche, my current customers want to wait for the new Sandybridge rather than buying now and expect a replacement. Yes you have to wait a couple of months, but surely that's worth the wait!
  12. RED_

RED_ Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Don't really want to start a new thread on this since im having the saying troubles RE: Picking a motherboard for the i5 2500k that I will be building my PC around. I've been told to go for the P67, even though i don't know the actual reason behind it. All the issues with Sandybridges will blowover by the time it comes to buying mine so I just need to pick one and wait a month or so.

What i really wan't to know is what the best motherboard possible is for the i5. Is there a clearcut difference between first and second or just down to choice? The same 3/4 motherboards are being recommended to me but the difference between them is little so is just down to personal choice after that? Very hard to decide as they all have the basic stuff you want from the motherboard. Any help would be appreciated.
  13. SirStuie

SirStuie Member

Ratings:
    +2
    If your getting a K model then you need a P67 chipset to overclock it. Its worth the premium as I haven't seen an overclock that doesn't offer a sizeable increase.

There is no clear difference between models other than the added features (Sli, More 6GB Sata ports, etc) so I would not hesitate to get a cheaper model if it fulfils your requirements.

As to which brand I can only say that Asus has been good with the firmware updates that have fixed all the problems I have had and I would imagine that is the same for the other producers as well.
  14. RED_

RED_ Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah Asus have been mentioned a lot, even when i was going to get an AMD processor. I knew the K was for an unlocked processor so that it could be overclocked, didn't know the motherboard needed to be specific either so thanks for clearing that up, i will definitely be overclocking. I only plan on getting one small size SSD for the OS which i can use for the 6GB SATA to fully benefit. I guess SLI would be good to have as in case i ever utilise it but i doubt i have them money. I will be spending a lot on the graphics card but not buying two, so that's one thing i can skip if need be. Thanks for the help! Will probably go for the Asus P8P67 Pro or Deluxe, something along those lines.

Edit: Why is this for example so expensive when the only difference i see is having more USB 3.0 ports(10) and less of the 2.0s(8).

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-327-GI&tool=5

Cheaper option, essentially the same?
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-433-AS&tool=5

It can't be just because of the B3 thing can it?
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  15. SirStuie

SirStuie Member

Ratings:
    +2
    One is a top end mb which can do quad graphics, the other dual. I think the Asus equivalent of that would the Maximus which is about the same price.
  16. messi2010

messi2010 Member

Ratings:
    +2

Is there any VAT promotion available now?I am going to get a P67-B3.
  17. surfury

surfury Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Well as I posted elsewhere my MSi P67A-GD65 has been replaced by a B3 stepping board less than 24 hours after authorising PayPal. Admittedly MSi are very close (Hayes/Uxbridge) and I was only Invoice 0020 but still pretty quick. I can install it in my own time and they also pay for the CityLink collection (as well as the delivery). Just have to remember to get the old board back to them. :)
  18. BradShort

BradShort Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Just to say Gigabyte have contacted me and there is a collect and deliver organised for tomorrow. I give them the old one and get the new one. No money exchanges hands, but its a bit of a rush to backup and remove.
  19. RED_

RED_ Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Did not know MSI were in Uxbridge! Live down there for uni.
  20. surfury

surfury Member

Ratings:
    +57
    They're in Hayes, I'm in Uxbridge, well near it.

I got 30 days after receipt.
  21. SirStuie

SirStuie Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Bloody hell I feel bad for getting an Asus. They won't replace it until its been collected with a 7-10 day turn around :facepalm:
  22. surfury

surfury Member

Ratings:
    +57
    I specifically asked MSi if they wanted all the bits back and they said no just the board. Please don't quote me on this but ring them yourselves as appropriate and if you get themae answer well that's locking 4xSATA 3 cables (I thought was only 3 in original box), SATA/Molex adapter, another SLI cable and USB3.0 backplate (which will go back). :smashin:
  23. dejongj

dejongj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,359
    I took delivery of an asus sabertooth p67 on Friday :) well pleased with it, and that efi bios is something else. Very stable on my soak test as a hackintosh, so let oc games begin :)
  24. TNA

TNA Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What is the difference between the pro and sabertooth? is one better for overclocking over the other?
  25. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    Pro is ugly and Sabertooth is pretty with higher quality components ;-) !!??

TBH I don't know never looked into it, Sabertooth looks good though :)
  26. jerrardm

jerrardm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is the sabertooth the B3 chipset?
  27. jerrardm

jerrardm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    oh, and can I use SATAIII hard drives with it?

(sorry, quite new to this)
  28. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    yes to both.
  29. jerrardm

jerrardm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at Asus P8P67-M PRO Rev3 Intel P67 Express Socket 1155 Motherboard instead of the Sabertooth one as it is 50 quid cheaper. What's the difference between DDR 1866 and DDR 2200? Does it really matter? Just wondered why the Sabertooth is so much more??
  30. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    because you are comparing a micro-atx with a full atx board. I cant look up the specs but I suspect there is quite a difference between available ports and expansion capability. The price difference between the normal pro and sabertooth is much smaller.