Sandstrom LED TVs at Currys

Thanks for the Info
I think skyman0610 is going to post a review. I will wait for that and if ok I will buy

Hi, I got one of these last week and I am happy with it so far. The housing is as good as any others with a nice gloss black finish and the remote is fine, very similar to my LG lcd remote.The stand is really sturdy and swivels easily.
The EPG is a lot better than I expected and the on screen settings controls are easy to use.

The freeview picture is good, but not at good as that on my panasonic g10 46inch. I haven't got a great freeview signal but I don't know if that makes much difference. I have hooked it up to BT vision and the picture is good.
I played with the brightness/constrast setting etc and they did make a big difference for those that want to customise.

The only negative is the Sandstrom logo is a bit naff and looks like a transfer that would easily come off....has anyone tried?

Overall for the price its a good deal and seems too cheap for what it is. If they are clearing out for a new range its worth having.

Hope that helps.

Well I had mine tv delivered on satarday and ive got to say I'm well happy for 499 it's a steel I work for sky and I see all types of tvs every day this Telly certainly holds it's own the sound is poor like all LEDs but ive got mine hooked up to my amp so it's not a problem. I say buy it you can't go wrong the HD through a sky box is perfect a gaming on that size tv is incredible love it. Remember it's only 499 so it's a no brainer

Well I had mine tv delivered on satarday and ive got to say I'm well happy for 499 it's a steel I work for sky and I see all types of tvs every day this Telly certainly holds it's own the sound is poor like all LEDs but ive got mine hooked up to my amp so it's not a problem. I say buy it you can't go wrong the HD through a sky box is perfect a gaming on that size tv is incredible love it. Remember it's only 499 so it's a no brainer

£464 delivered ... see my post above.;)

Glad you are happy with it though.:D

While browsing Currys I noticed a brand of LED TV I'd not noticed before Sandstrom. I found the same TV online here.

I can't find much about these TVs and a search on this forum provided no results. Anyone heard of them and are they another manufacturer's TV re-badged?

They are Curry's own brand according to the sales assistant. I bought a 46'' LED backlit LCD at the very reasonable price of £499. It had a good picture. When I got it back home and unpacked it I discovered that it had no scart connections but, no matter, Sandstrom supplied a scart adapter cable with a VGA connection at the TV end through which you could connect up. This worked fine with the DVD player and the video player but when connected up to my Sky Plus box the TV would work fine for about 5 minutes taking the Sky feed then the screen would blank for a couple of seconds and it would lose sound as well and then connect up again. This would then reoccur at a few minute intervals. Just to check that this was not the Sky box malfunctioning I connected up another TV I had to it which did have a normal Scart connector and it worked perfectly. I concluded that the Scart/VGA transformer nexus could not cope with the amount of signal traffic from the SKY box. To be fair to Curry's they agreed to replace the Sandstrom with a slightly more expensive LG. Nothing compensates you for the hassle and wasted time however.

Good Price but issue with picture flicker/auto contrast adjustment when watching HD:-

I purchased the 47" LED Sandstrom a few weeks ago. When I was out shopping for a new TV I was expecting to go for one of the better known brands but as it was so well priced compared to LG, Samsung etc and the picture quality looked good in-store i couldn't resist. Initially i thought I had a bargain when considering the price for a 47" Led. The menu options are basic but seemed acceptable for a low priced TV. When I hooked up the HD though (Sky and xbox360) I soon noticed a fundamental problem with the picture. When watching anything in HD there was a really noticeable flicker/auto contrast adjustment whenever there is a scene that is even slightly dark. And if you are watching a movie with dark scenes the flickering is pretty much constant. When watching standard def TV you don't really notice the flicker.

Looking through these posts it appears I'm not alone with this problem. I'm not sure though if was was a fault with my TV or a problem on all the TVs. I'm guessing its some auto dynamic contrast adjustment function that is kicking in. Unfortunately there is not an option to turn this off in the menu which may solve the issue. This is a shame as apart of this issue the TV the picture is good in HD. I tried to put up with it for a few days but it was just too distracting for me so I took it back to Currys who gave me a refund. I picked up a LG Led 47" (less than £100 extra) from a local retailer and to be honest it beats the Sandstrom hands down.

anyone else got when there is a Dark scene on screen the the contrast seems to go up and down on its self

I had the same issue with a sandstrom led tv so took it back for a refund (full details in another post)

is everyone happy with theirs or is anyone else getting the same problems above as mushviper and SeeleyBooth

would like to buy one but not sure if they just had faulty ones or not

cheers

Isn't that how LED backlighting works? It varies the level of background light to match the scene to enable deeper blacks but it will keep auto-adjusting. Surely it has to do this?

Certain material will catch it out.

I got my 40" Sandstrom last Friday and as of yet I've not had one viewing problem with it yet. HD is good, can't see any problems with it yet. PS3 looks great on it. Watched Avatar on blue ray on it - fantastic (the visuals, not the film). I had a Toshiba Regza before this and in my opinion the Sandstrom is better to watch. I am thinking of buying a sound system to go with it just to enhance my viewing experience and I don't have any problems with the sound on it.....apart from occasionally loosing sound when watching sky plus, if I change channel and then change back again straight away it's fine. It's only done this twice so far but it never happened with my other TV's. Could it be that there isn't actually a scart socket as such it's like a vga socket but they give you an adapter with a scart socket at the other end. Also my turtle beach gaming headphones no longer work with it but that could just be a settings thing.

One other thing, when it was delivered the delivery man asked me if I knew what make it was, to which I replied "Yes it's a Sandstrom" the delivery mans reply to this was "no, it's actually a Samsung, it's their new range which no-one knows about, that's why they are so cheap". I had a little laugh to myself when he disappeared out of my front door.

The main thing that strikes me about this TV is that it seem 'foreign'. It just seems like a middle or far eastern thing that has sort of been adapted to the UK market.

I'm happy with it so far though!!!

Hi

Isn't that how LED backlighting works? It varies the level of background light to match the scene to enable deeper blacks but it will keep auto-adjusting. Surely it has to do this?

Certain material will catch it out.

Typically TVs have auto adjustable back lights as that allows them to make claims of 2,000,000:1 contrast ratios (this is true for LED and traditional back-lit TVs), but for any serious watching that dimming can be a distraction.

Also of note is that LEDs being used for the back-light in these types of TVs (edge-lit) only really benefit the TV by being able to make them thinner, they don't in themselves provide any other advantage over traditional back lit LCD TVs. If you don't need a TV of slim proportions and still want to pay a similar price, you probably can get something much better using traditional back lighting or a Plasma TV. Edge lit LED TVs are also more likely to suffer from uneven lighting as it is difficult to get the light to travel evenly from the edge to the centre of the screen.

Most good TVs with auto dimming back lights allow you to turn that off.

Regards

Phil

Last edited:
purchased this tv last night for the amazing price of £464

after seeing the 40" in a local currys - sat next to tv's from Samsung, Sony & the like I cant believe all the flaming im seeing in here just because this is a "own brand" tv.

for the last 4 years I've owned a Tesco 32" Technica and it has been the best TV ever for the cost - handled the lot and picture was fantastic.

Im an unbiased person, dont like all this "its better cos it cost more like" ****** .... u pay for the name half the time.

I will post an unbiased review with pictures of xbox 360/ sky HD and PS3 next week (hopefully) as it arrives tomorrow! :thumbsup:

purchased this tv last night for the amazing price of £464

after seeing the 40" in a local currys - sat next to tv's from Samsung, Sony & the like I cant believe all the flaming im seeing in here just because this is a "own brand" tv.

for the last 4 years I've owned a Tesco 32" Technica and it has been the best TV ever for the cost - handled the lot and picture was fantastic.

Im an unbiased person, dont like all this "its better cos it cost more like" ****** .... u pay for the name half the time.

I will post an unbiased review with pictures of xbox 360/ sky HD and PS3 next week (hopefully) as it arrives tomorrow! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't worry about other's opinions. If you're happy with your set, that's all that matters. A lot of people on here are looking for the best tv available at a particular time, but in reality there are plenty of adequate sets like the Sandstrom LED's on the market that are sufficient for most people's needs.

The only area to be wary of on the own-brand sets, is parts availability if they go wrong. As a repair centre, we see that this causes more of these sets to be 'written off' if they go faulty as the parts are often not available soon after a model is no longer sold in the stores.

Hi

I wouldn't worry about other's opinions. If you're happy with your set, that's all that matters. A lot of people on here are looking for the best tv available at a particular time, but in reality there are plenty of adequate sets like the Sandstrom LED's on the market that are sufficient for most people's needs.

The only area to be wary of on the own-brand sets, is parts availability if they go wrong. As a repair centre, we see that this causes more of these sets to be 'written off' if they go faulty as the parts are often not available soon after a model is no longer sold in the stores.

You do get what you pay for, and you do often pay more just for a brand name, finding something in between is where you get good value for money.

Longevity and repairs do seem to be a problem with cheaper brands of TV, certainly I know of friends who have got through 2 or 3 Tesco cheap TVs while I've still kept the same more expensive one, they've ended up paying more overall and haven't had something quite as nice for it.

This forum is an AV Forum where there are a lot of enthusiasts wanting the best picture quality for their home cinema, we may sound snobby in some cases for good reason, but where a TV isn't be used in the home cinema context, then probably any TV of any make will work just as well.

There are those that turn off "Dynamic" picture control, and those that keep it enabled :thumbsup:

Regards

Phil

I have just had my new Sandstrom 46" LED TV delivered a few days ago. I managed to get it for £464.00 using the online discount of £35. Generally i am very impresssed with this TV, i have a couple of small issues which i am not sure about?. The TV is 100HZ but i still get motion judder at times for example if i watch breakfast tv, a presenter may move his hand and you would see a juddering movement or turns his or her head and you may see this motion judder?. I must say that this is random and does not always happen although i read that you would probably see this happen more frequently watching fast moving objects or sports?. I did not really noticed any judder when i watched F1 last week. I have tried the MEMC settings which is a great feature and can make some movies look like they are filmed live or really old movies can look totally different with this feature on strong.
Now the other issue i noticed is 2 flashing dots at the bottom edge of the screen?, i am not sure what these are or if these are faults?. You notice them more when a darker colour is present on the screen but they are always present?. I wonder if anybody can shed any light on these issues i have or maybe they are not issues at all?. I just need to be sure something so new is operating as it should. Does anybody know of any Sky codes for this TV?.
Thank you in advance for any help any of you kind people can offer.

Hi

I have just had my new Sandstrom 46" LED TV delivered a few days ago. I managed to get it for £464.00 using the online discount of £35. Generally i am very impresssed with this TV, i have a couple of small issues which i am not sure about?. The TV is 100HZ but i still get motion judder at times for example if i watch breakfast tv, a presenter may move his hand and you would see a juddering movement or turns his or her head and you may see this motion judder?. I must say that this is random and does not always happen although i read that you would probably see this happen more frequently watching fast moving objects or sports?. I did not really noticed any judder when i watched F1 last week. I have tried the MEMC settings which is a great feature and can make some movies look like they are filmed live or really old movies can look totally different with this feature on strong.
Now the other issue i noticed is 2 flashing dots at the bottom edge of the screen?, i am not sure what these are or if these are faults?. You notice them more when a darker colour is present on the screen but they are always present?. I wonder if anybody can shed any light on these issues i have or maybe they are not issues at all?. I just need to be sure something so new is operating as it should. Does anybody know of any Sky codes for this TV?.
Thank you in advance for any help any of you kind people can offer.

You can still get some judder on 100Hz TVs, in some cases more, it depends on how good the TV is at interpolating new frames to try and smooth the motion, and even good ones get confused. Has the judder gone if you turn this feature off?

You shouldn't have dots flashing anywhere on the screen, if they are there on everything, that is fault.

However, if they are tiny dots like pin pricks almost which are visible as brighter dots on darker backgrounds, these are faulty pixels. Check here to see if this is what the are. Typically a few faulty pixels are not considered a fault, so it depends on the shop if they will exchange it for you.

Regards

Phil

Last edited:
Hi

You can still get some judder on 100Hz TVs, in some cases more, it depends on how good the TV is at interpolating new frames to try and smooth the motion, and even good ones get confused. Has the judder gone if you turn this feature off?

You shouldn't have dots flashing anywhere on the screen, if they are there on everything, that is fault.

However, if they are tiny dots like pin pricks almost which are visible as brighter dots on darker backgrounds, these are faulty pixels. I suspect these cheap TVs are using a lower grade of LCD panel which makes them cheaper, i.e. those panels that are faultless are grade A and get snapped up for the premium brands. Check here to see if this is what the are. Typically a few faulty pixels are not consider a fault, so it depends on the shop if they will exchange it for you.

Regards

Phil

Thanks Phil for the info, i will check what you said and get back to you soon.
Regards
Robert

well quick review ... this TV is fantastic !!! Sky HD looks just mind blowing ...

I need help though :) .... does anyone have an idea the code i can use to get my Sky HD remote working???

Yeh was going to post that the 46" version is down to £500.
I have one purchased but not able to give a quick review or take photos just yet, will try to this weekend.

hi twe

i have just bought one of these from a currys clearance store, and need a copy of the manual.

have you any means of scanning and emailing to me?

Ash

Hi,

I bought one of these tv's (s46ldib10) from the currys website when I got it back it had a green dead pixel in the middle of the screen. So I rang currys up and had an complete nightmare trying to sort it out being given about 4-6 different numbers only to find out its out of stock and they have no idea when they will be getting anymore. Does anyone know if its been discontinued?
I dont know what to do as I really like the tv. I've been offered a refund but I don't know what to do as I don't think I'll get a tv as good as this at the price I paid (£464).
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

the one that was on display in our megastore has been sold - we got ours from a clearance branch, i'm guessing the stock has gone on these.

Ash

Can anyone clarify the warranty on the 46" Sandstrom led tv that comes with the unit ( not extended warranties).
I cant find my paperwork at present but have seen some people mention it comes with a 3 year warranty as standard?.
I cannot find any reference to Sandstrom led tvs at Curry anymore as this is where i purchased mine?.
Have they run out of stock or discontinued the product?.
Any help / info would be appreciated.

Can anyone clarify the warranty on the 46" Sandstrom led tv that comes with the unit ( not extended warranties).
I cant find my paperwork at present but have seen some people mention it comes with a 3 year warranty as standard?.
I cannot find any reference to Sandstrom led tvs at Curry anymore as this is where i purchased mine?.
Have they run out of stock or discontinued the product?.
Any help / info would be appreciated.

I think it is generally agreed that the brand was a 'made up' name for the Currys group of companies. They have used other 'makes' which disappear over time. The equipment does not usually come from a particular source. However this does not get Curry's out of their liability to repair or replace faulty goods.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom