1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sandstrom LED TVs at Currys

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by GreenIsaac, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Boostrail

Boostrail Active Member

Ratings:
    +384
    AFAIK it is a EU requirement of the importer to state on the manufacturer/typeno. /voltage / power consumption plate on the back or side of the TV the country of origin if it is manufactured outside the EU.

It is this country of origin that Chris Muriel is asking someone who has one of these TV's to report back on. This is the biggest clue in establishing the pedigree of the TV. If it says nothing on this label/plate then please also report back as this implies it was made in the EU (which personally I doubt)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Mike London27

Mike London27 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I returned my TV due to a fault, but I did not see any country of origin on the TV itself (I did look). I can't believe these are made in Europe but the box and documentation are probably made / printed in the UK.
  3. GGTVBD

GGTVBD Active Member

Ratings:
    +326
    If anyone would care to take a pic of the front, rear and the remote, I'll tell you who makes them.

;)
  4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel Active Member

Ratings:
    +699
    Thanks for that, Mike.
    I was hoping that an owner would read off (and report country of manufacture) from what it says on the label or sticker of a physical TV.
  5. mailman

mailman Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well when mine turns up on Tuesday Ill check and let you know.

Regards

Mailman
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. mjgreen60

mjgreen60 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one of these from Curry's a few weeks ago for £499. Really happy with it so far. Not using it on HD but am happy with picture quality. I'm not a huge techie so I'm sure someone who is more in the know might find some drawbacks, but at that price I'd say it's pretty damned good!!

I can confirm that it is made in China as per the label on the back.

HTH

mj
  7. mjgreen60

mjgreen60 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    PS here is a pic of the remote if that helps.

mj

Attached Files:

8. CSCJ

CSCJ Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They are not that bad actually, have not heard any complaints, the only product I have had direct link to is a Sandstorm DAB, i think they are made exclusively for Currys as a brand though (THINK).
    Of course they are a cheaper brand, catering for the cheaper end of the market, so don't expect a Samsung/ Sony/ Panasonic quality.
  9. mailman

mailman Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So my Sandstrom 40" turned up today, image is nice but the wife did ask what was wrong with the sound when she came in as she thinks its quite tinny.

mjgreen, have you noticed the sound being tinny? i think it just lacks base? Might not be such a problem as in a week Ill have the stereo from upstairs to plug in to the tv when its replacement turns up.

Regards

Mailman
  10. TV Tony

TV Tony Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bagged myself Sandstrom 40" Full HD TV from Currys for just £499. The guy in the shop seemed to really know what he was talking about. The products are exclusive to DSG and the panels come from China. The speakers have been upgraded you really notice it - not what you normally get in a such a thin TV. I was planning to buy the Samsung but am glad I didn't - the picture quality is excellent, even for sport and fast action movies and it works a treat with blu ray. The only problem is my kids now want to watch even more telly ...
  11. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,473
    An awful lot of new posters singing the praises of this, when Samsung, Toshiba and Sony have TVs @40" that cost the same price or in Sony's case, slightly more, all with 5 years guarentee at John Lewis. These do not qualify for Currys recent 5 year free warranty due to the price restriction.

I know which i would choose.

Edit: Ignore me, the set you are talking about is LED, while the sets I pointed out are not. Still dont think I would buy one of them though.
  12. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel Active Member

Ratings:
    +699
    Can you please post the country of origin or manufacture from the label or rating plate on your TV.
  13. GGTVBD

GGTVBD Active Member

Ratings:
    +326
    This question's already been answered Chris...

Thanks for the pic of the remote. Doesn't help enormously but I would be amazed if these were produced by Samsung.

High street salesmen will tell you anything to get your cash.

It certainly doesn't look good if they are made in China.

I'll run the risk of getting flamed for repeating myself... Keep your receipts. It will go wrong. Probably within 18 months. Parts are unlikely to be available. You will need The SoGA.

:)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Boostrail

Boostrail Active Member

Ratings:
    +384
    If the panel is made in China then it isnt a "Samsung" panel as the salesmen seem to be claiming as they are made in Korea Its probably a CMO (Chai Mei Optronics)
  15. Bigoll

Bigoll Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum. So a big hello to everyone!

The In laws have just bought one of these 40" Sandstrom Tv's and I was given the job of setting it up. All went well and it looks good and performs well! Only one thing - I can't find the code for the Sky + ( Not HD) can anyone help as the codes Sky gave me don't work. Has anyone had the same problem? Or does anyone have the code?

Thanks in Advance.
  16. mailman

mailman Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, Ill let you know how the tv goes in a couple years. Then the flame fest can begin! :)

Regards

Mailman
  17. smellvetica

smellvetica Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, Thought I'd update after having had mine for a few months.

I've tested with a Sky HD box, Xbox 360, Sky SD box, MacBook via VGA, Blue Ray Drive.

Quick movements and panning on all of the above seem to cause a very visible jitter. I'm unsure as to whether it's a fault with my TV or across all the Tv's.

It's going back to Curry's after 3 months and I'll aim to switch to a better branded model. I should have guessed this would happen.
  18. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,473
    Why will Currys take it back after you have had it for 3 months?
  19. mailman

mailman Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Their return policy is only 7 days if you have opened it???

Mailman
  20. phorenzik

phorenzik Member

Ratings:
    +66
    You can argue that it's faulty and they'll have to repair/replace it. This won't be easy task though.

Chances are that it's operating within spec, and that's it's perfectly normal behaviour for a cheap LCD TV.
  21. Bigoll

Bigoll Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Smellvetica,

I have been trying to get a code for my Inlaws Sky + remote control with no success, I have even phoned Sky again today to ask, but they said they have nothing listed on the database for this TV. They did give me codes the other day which I have tried but nothing has worked!!

Did you have any success getting the TV to Work with the Sky remote or has everyone got the same problem???:lease:
  22. matthewfchapman

matthewfchapman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i have got one of these sandstrom tvs. however im not really sure on the spec like the contrast ratio etc and have contrasting info on whether its 50hz or 100hz?
  23. SeeleyBooth

SeeleyBooth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295
    its 100HZ mate but its NOT know on the TV as that though its MEMC in picture settings mate
  24. mailman

mailman Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I took the Sandstrom 40" back today and swapped it for an LG plasma (42PJ550, so dont hate me:)).

In the end it was the tinny sound that killed the tv for me. Dont get me wrong, I thought the image was superb BUT the longer it hung on our wall, the more the tinny noise was getting to me!

I think TV's like this have a place in the market and if you can pair it up with a home theatre system then the sound wont be an issue for you. But yeah, I so wanted to like the tv but in the end it was the sound that killed it for me.

Regards

Mailman
  25. SeeleyBooth

SeeleyBooth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295
    anyone else got when there is a Dark scene on screen the the contrast seems to go up and down on its self
  26. nodrog62

nodrog62 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i was in my local currys today looking at tv's and pc monitors and seen this sandstrom 40" led being sold at £449 asked a salesgirl who i know if she could enlightrn me on parent manufacturers she said the base/stand was similar to one of the samsungs they have but had no idea other than that she said she was putting out some sandstrom kettles last week and they were next to a hitachi kettle which was identical apart from the box so it may be that hitachi could be a supplier for parts
  27. macfilipe

macfilipe Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Actually the remote is very similar to the one that came with my Samsung T220HD (remote model number BN59-00624A)...
  28. bonzobanana

bonzobanana Active Member

Ratings:
    +222
    Samsung are huge OEM suppliers and have factories in china too although not sure if they are producing panels there my instincts tell me they would be because of the low cost. Even korea is expensive to make products nowadays.

That said what samsung supply as a oem product does not have to equal a proper samsung branded product. You get vestel made sets that share a chassis but there are lots of options regarding speaker quality and panel fitted.

There doesn't seem many manufacturers left that mainly design and build their own products exclusively in their own factories. Panasonic seems a rare example but even they have exceptions. Samsung of course build their own plus tons of other brands too. A lot of Sonys are basically Samsung made and Samsung have been making a huge number of sony products for years. Dating back to vhs recorders when sony finally gave up on betamax.

Considering how top brands have put their name on vestel sets with known psu issues I wouldn't condemn a sandstorm product straight away. I mean there are Hitachis, Toshibas, JVC and many other brands that are simply the same sets as Wharfedales, Bush, Goodmans, Alba etc.

I have a Technosonic set which sounds like a terrible brand but is actually identical to a fairly decent Thomson model although its a dated model now of course because Thomson gave up on the AV business a few years ago now but they did do some good kit back then.
  29. GGTVBD

GGTVBD Active Member

Ratings:
    +326
    Hmm...

I've yet to see a Sony LCD TV made by Samsung.

And they certainly never made a VHS deck for them. Hitachi did though.

Some of the Vestel sets actually produce quite a nice picture. And when they do go wrong, at least they're repairable, more often than not.

:)
  30. bonzobanana

bonzobanana Active Member

Ratings:
    +222
    Considering how many sets are vestel based I'm surprised people still say parts aren't available. I suppose its just knowing what vestel chassis a tv is based on.

With regard samsung manufacturing products for sony they have been for a long time. Sony seems to be even more aggressively outsourcing now though. Even the top end Sony TVs are being outsourced.

As to which models are made by samsung and which aren't that is really down to service engineers I suppose but I'm not sure how they could tell nowadays. The current Sony DC range of dvd recorders (which are rubbish quite frankly) are samsung based but feature pioneer dvd drives and are assembled in Sony's hungary facility.

Its difficult to find information about vhs recorders but the information about sony tv's being samsung based is out there. S-LCD panels were developed by samsung and the manufacturing facility was jointly financed by samsung and sony and I believe feature near enough exclusively in these two brands at least for a while.

Sony's relationship with Samsung is surely the longest of all their outsourcing partners. A huge number of other sony products have been sourced from samsung including digital cameras, camcorders, home cinema systems etc.

Outsourcing is admittedly a minefield though because there are so many elements to it, who styles, who designs, who builds the major components and who assembles. Sony always styles themselves I think and makes minor modifications to the spec to suit its own brand. The components used can be exclusively non sony and it may be finally assembled in a sony facility.

Take Sony DVD recorders, they have been basically outsourced for years and the designs have come from pioneer, samsung and LG and thats only the ones I know of. Its easy to state the models of these because they are recent.