1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung UExxD8000 Owners Thread *Part 7*

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Curly99, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave52

Dave52 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I have my tv sending audio via optical to my amp and it does 5.1 when I'm watching movies from my usb hard drive. I suspect it's Netflix.
  2. jasjw

jasjw New Member

Ratings:
    +265
    Some people are more sensitive to it than others, I guess it all depends what you are used too but for a gamer who plays loads online this set is horrid, The input lag is quite shocking IMHO, Hence why my set went back ages ago.
  3. MovieFan60

MovieFan60 Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Does anybody out there with the 55 inch model know what the width of the carton it is supplied in?
  4. vernall

vernall Member

Ratings:
    +20
    had to pop into the garage so measured the box for you.....its 60.5 x 33 x 7(thats inches btw)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. VILLAn66

VILLAn66 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I don't see what playing online would have to do with it as the input lag would be the same on or offline.
  6. rapid64k

rapid64k Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think you will find that the Costco price is BEFORE tax:facepalm:..so not really that good of a deal really.
  7. Iain Craig

Iain Craig Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I've not heard a single person mention the 60" model probably because its like a grand extra for 5 more inches? no doubt it has the same problems as the other sizes!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. taz23

taz23 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Got a phone call of Samsung, my refund will be with me on Fri & there coming to collect my 55D8000 on Wed, sorry to say but my experience o Samsung has put me off them for life. I would like to thank everyone on hear for the advice etc I have received over the past few months. TV shopping again this weekend :)
  9. Pumauk

Pumauk Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Taz - keep us updated... i'm going through a similar story with my D8000 - currently awaiting my 4th replacement!

If this one is still as bad I think i'll be looking elsewhere but unsure what yet!
  10. taz23

taz23 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    I had 2 screen replacements & a new TV replacement, the replacement has bad banding & clouding & free sat HD doesn't work. Little tip when you ring Samsung it doesn't mention it but press 6 & it takes you straight to the UK call centre. Your entitled to a refund legally after 3 repairs. I just got sick of getting bad TVs again and again the frustrating thing is there is good ones out there but when you get 3 bad ones in a row the odds are you get a bad one I guess.
    Ohh & when you speak to Samsung & they say they don't do refunds there telling lies as one lady told me they don't they can only offer a repair and the next phone call I was told they do, but when I did eventually request a refund they tried to say they could only offer me another repair so I demanded to speak to a manager only to be told there wasn't one but I said your telling me no one is in charge & guess what a manager was there & got my refund.
  11. pj

pj Member

Ratings:
    +170
    banding-
    cant remember if i have posted this before
    on my 55 i unscrewed the screws on the back of the set a little bit and got rid of the majority of banding, just one feint line across now if it pans up or down, its shocking and i dont expect anything that costs that much to be faulty but having worked with led tvs for 2 years ive come to understand there was no perfect tv or brand and the samsungs were still the best of the bunch!
  12. Midnight Tboy

Midnight Tboy Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Is your AVR displaying the DD/DTS logos?

Mine only shows as PCM when going from optical to AVR.

In the TVs options for SPDIF there is the option to set it to PCM or Dolby Digital.......but Dolby Digital is grayed out and can't be selected........can yours be changed?

Tried for the different inputs TV channel audio, Xbox and PS3 hdmi channels (need to be direct for 3D), and for all of them, the option is not selectable
  13. Tomo71

Tomo71 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Erm…. Naw….

mail.jpeg
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  14. rapid64k

rapid64k Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yes thats TV only. I was in their head office store today in Watford.
  15. cmspodwy

cmspodwy Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Well my UE55D8000 is going back on Wednesday and I'm told I'll be getting a new set on Friday. Hope its better.
  16. taz23

taz23 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Don't want to bust your bubble but I've had 4 different ones direct from Samsung & all defective, got a phone call today saying my refund will be in my bank on Fri.
    I hope you get a good one as its stressful keep getting rubbish ones.
  17. taz23

taz23 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Samsung need to sort QC ASAP as it will destroy there reputation if it hasn't already
  18. Dave52

Dave52 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    My tv only allowed PCM initially, but when I played a 1080p mkv file from my hard drive, my av system said LPCM as if it was automatically selected. After that the Dolby Digital was no longer greyed out in my options. Just to be clear, I'm sending the sound from my tv via optical. I also optical direct from my Ps3 and coaxial direct from my sky box. The only time I use sound from my tv is when I'm using my hard drive.

I haven't tried Netflix.
  19. Midnight Tboy

Midnight Tboy Member

Ratings:
    +14
    thanks Dave.......at some point tomorrow I'll try playing an MKV direct on it (rather than using HTPC)....see if it magically unlocks that digital option.

bit of a daft bug if thats what sorts it.

any idea if it was a DTS or DD5.1 track mkv you were playing?
  20. Dave52

Dave52 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I don't know what the sound settings are on the mkv - sorry.

I thought of another thing, I was told that Netflix quality depends on your internet connection. So you won't get full hd if it can't get the bandwidth. Could that be the problem?
  21. reardoni

reardoni Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

I've been reading and submitting to these D8000 threads since they've started as I've had a 55D8000 since May last year, during that time i've had the screen replaced 3 times, personally I wasn't really bothered about the clouding as that tends to lessen with time and can be pretty much eradicated using the settings... my biggest issue was banding.

As I watch a lot of football it was a real distraction and as people have said many times, you don't pay £2000 for a TV for it to not perform.

One thing with the banding, I have my TV wall mounted and found that over tightening the bracket on the back of the TV did put tension on the screen and caused 2 vertical bands in the location of the bracket, I'm not sure if this is coincidence, but could be worth a look.

So finally on to the positive. I received a replacement TV from comet at the weekend (I obtained an uplift number from Samsung, which means you can return it to the store you bought it from and they will swap it out for you and Samsung will foot the bill). The new TV is pretty much perfect, very minor clouding and no noticeable banding (and trust me i've looked), i've also used the grey test image from these forums and though it's not perfect uniformity, i'd say it's 95%. So keep the faith there are versions of this TV out there without flaws, maybe Samsung have improved their QC and better versions of this screen are now being produced.
  22. Iain Craig

Iain Craig Member

Ratings:
    +6
    My next TV will be a cineworld :)
  23. fitze73

fitze73 Member

Ratings:
    +91
    Lol :) my workshop will.be like a cineworld come may converting to cinema room and games room 125 ft x 40ft
  24. superglenn

superglenn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I posted earlier in this thread about the 8xxx series vs 67xx series and how the clouding was compared.. so id like to share my experiance since i traded my 2'nd ue55d8005 in (TO MUCH CLOUDING) for a ue55d67xx.. and what a difference!

The 67xx series have much better movement in the picture and the clouding problem is all gone.. The picture is pretty much the same as i can see no difference after having them both. The only difference is the 3D since the 67xx is not FHD, but i preffer 2D anyways. And tbh i realy cant see that much difference on the 3D either as an average user =)

The design is still great but the tv is a couple of mm thicker (which may be the reason for less clouding).

All in all im very happy!

Please mark that this is only my opinion and look away from all the spelling errors as english is not my main language =)
  25. Pumauk

Pumauk Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Maybe i've finally gone mad - but isn't the Sony HX823 exactly the same tv (spec wise) as the D8000? Am tempted to try my luck with one of them considering my D8000's aren't turning out great...
  26. NBrice

NBrice Member

Ratings:
    +91
    Pretty much but the 3D and black level isn't supposed to be quite up to the standard of the Samsung. Although "good black levels" are pretty useless when your screen is plagued with clouding anyway.
  27. taz23

taz23 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Why not try the 55 HX923 full array back lit. Totally different to the D8000 & 823
  28. Pumauk

Pumauk Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Didn't really want to spend anymore to be honest - the HX823 seems like a bit of a bargain compared to the Samsung.

What replacement are you looking at Taz?
  29. taz23

taz23 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    As you say what is the point of good blacks on a TV if it's plagued by clouding and flash lighting. To me that's bad blacks.
  30. taz23

taz23 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    The Sony HX923
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.