Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung UED5520 owners thread

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by DSR, Jul 5, 2011.

1. wyattwolf

wyattwolf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mate, what about the flickering with the bluray player?
  2. MovieFan60

MovieFan60 Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Afraid I am at a loss there!
  3. DSR

DSR Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Front Panel controls.

I lost the remote the other day and had to use the on /off - vol controls on the front panel ( bottom right on the bevel surround).

They are near impossible to see without a torch - lol !

As anyone found a menu command to have them backlit at all ?
  4. GaryMo

GaryMo Active Member

Ratings:
    +216
    What's the vertical viewing angle like on this series, 40" version specifically? I'm looking to wallmount in a bedroom at a height of around 1.2M to the underside meaning we'll be looking upwards slightly when viewing in bed.

Also, regarding the USB connection. I have a 8GB USB pendrive. Can I put video files on there and view directly from the TV? Is there any file formats it won't read? Most of mine are AVI and MKV (HD).

Thanks for any help.
  5. LtTempletonPeck

LtTempletonPeck Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've probably watched hundreds of avi's/mkv's (720p) using either a USB pendrive or a external harddrive plugged in via USB. Never had any trouble with them at all :thumbsup:

Had a few issues with mp4's where the video plays fine but I get no sound, which I guess is an audio codec problem. Not looked at that too deeply yet though.

Just got a Synology NAS so hoping I get the same video playback over the network.
  6. LtTempletonPeck

LtTempletonPeck Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you have an iPhone and the the TV is on a home network you can download the Samsung Remote App to control your TV.
  7. Start Choppin

Start Choppin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought this tv a few weeks ago & hooked up external drive to it & have no issues playing avi's/mkv's. No complaints about the tv so far, but yet to explore all the features.
    Slightly off topic but what model Synology NAS did you get & how is it working out for you. I'm currently in the market for a NAS & I'm looking at the Synology DiskStation DS211j.

\Edit: howdy folks!!!
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  8. rjbell

rjbell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Received my set a few days back i'm pretty happy with it. With it factory settings i was getting the auto dimming on dark scenes that was doing my head in. I followed hdtvtest best settings after they calibrated which i found on there facebook site since then its been great. I bumped up the colour slightly from there settings but image looks much more natural. I've had no problem playing back a 720p mkv, although i wasn't overly impressed with the quality. I played the same file on the Panasonic plasma i sent back and that made a much better job of it. Plasma can't be beat for a dark cinema room, but for every day use led is better.

Has anyone tried the lovefilm streaming service? unlimited for £10 a month sound pretty good.
  9. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Yes, I get the glow in the corners too, although I only watch Sky. I just don't think it's capabe of doing black very well - certainly nowhere near as good as my Panny plasma (or even old CRTs).
  10. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Can you give a link to that page, or perhaps post the settings here? Would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  11. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Here we go, my little daughter found this on Facebook!

I have tried these settings out and do not like them at all: the picture is very soft and so warm that whites look yellow and there's a sepia cast over everything.

However, I didn't realise :blush: that in Movie and Standard modes there are advanced settings. I changed the HDMI black setting from the default and that seems to have improved black levels.

Attached Files:

12. duncanr

duncanr Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone else experiencing 'file stuttering' (as 'promised' on p.220 of the emanual)? Love so much about this TV, bought today, but BBC iPlayer is unwatchable due to constant interruptions for data uploading (internet connection is via LAN cable through the ringmain (from a Belkin G Wireless Modem Router, via a Netricity Adaptor (85Mbps)).
    Youtube works fine, mind you - but then the data rate required will be much lower than required by, for example, 'Frozen Planet'.
    Was advised by sales guy that connection via LAN/ringmain was more reliable than the Samsung wireless dongle, but not having much joy so far.
    Any help appreciated.:)
  13. rjbell

rjbell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes i've tweaked them slightly its a great starting point. The thing i noticed the most is the white balance the colour channels were way out, looks much more natural. I pushed contrast up to 100 shadow detail to 0 and black tone to darkest. You shouldn't have a cast the colour settings are after they have been calibrated with equipment. This is real life colours not the massively saturated colours that lcd's are always accused of producing. When you do it you will think it looks dull and desaturated. I went out for the day and came back and turned it on. This is when i really appreciated it. I recommend every to try it for a few day. If you then still not like it. You can reset colours with a click of a button in the menu.
  14. rjbell

rjbell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you been trying to watch it tonight? iplayer has been fine for me all week i watched frozen planet in hd fine. I tried watching film 2011 about an hour ago and it was stopping to buffer constantly. It could be more to do with iplayer site than the the tv?
  15. DSR

DSR Member

Ratings:
    +1
    A quick reminder.

If anyone could check if their on/off vol etc buttons on the front bottom right panel are (or can be ) backlit ?

Cheers
  16. duncanr

duncanr Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Yes, was Sat night when iPlayer wouldn't work without continual stuttering. Tried again today about 13:15, and Frozen Planet played perfectly for about 15 mins before (ironically) it froze up completely and wouldn't budge.

Suspect the shocking broadband speed here in rural Cheshire is largely to blame - used Broadband Speedcheck website last night and this morning and measured a paltry 0.6 Mbps both times. The site claims others near me are getting significantly better rates - cynically, I might deduce this is all designed to get me to switch provider, but the iPlayer issue does seem to suggest there's an issue with data rates. I was measuring the rate via wireless to my laptop, however, but don't know how I could measure the data rate the TV is receiving via the ringmain, since it doesn't have a web browser.

If I do get the service to play adequately in the future, I do have another couple of niggles/questions about the iPlayer:
    1) Can you 'fast forward' to a point later in the programme? Via PC this is easily done via mouse click on the timeline, but I can't see an effective way of achieving this using the TV remote (the right arrow advances, very slowly, in 30 second intervals before giving up).

2) Volume control for iPlayer (separate slider pops up) is very coarse - level 2 is too quiet, but level 3 is way too loud. This seems to have been an issue for some time (click link here), and has been improved, but still doesn't seem anywhere near subtle enough.

TV is great otherwise - my first flat screen after hanging on to my circa-1997 Sony CRT until picture quality approached it, which this LED/1080p/100Hz does. However, the VOD services were a clincher in finally splashing the cash, so it's a bit of a downer that they don't work very well (apart from Youtube - kids are happy seeing The Annoying Orange on a big screen, so well worth £430:facepalm: (John Lewis with guarantee).

Any further thoughts/help appreciated.
  17. rjbell

rjbell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    £430 at John Lewis? not when i looked was it some one day sale or something?
  18. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +86
    I paid about £560 from JL a few weeks ago! Are you sure?
  19. duncanr

duncanr Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Yes...BUT that's for the 32" panel (UE32D5520R it says on the box). Assumed the thread was for the general model, since several panel sizes are mentioned in different posts. Apologies if have set financial cat amongst pigeons.
  20. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Yes you are right - apologies! I've had a bad day spotting items I bought recently that have umbled in price!
  21. duncanr

duncanr Member

Ratings:
    +4
    No probs!:thumbsup:
  22. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +86
    One thing mine keeps doing is losing the wireless internet connection. Anyone else have this problem? Would it be more reliable with something like a homeplug? (A wired connection isn't feasible).
  23. duncanr

duncanr Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Homeplug is what I'm using, and in what little time I've had the TV the connection hasn't been lost to my knowledge - but as I say, the iPlayer buffering is a real pain (which I suspect has nothing to do with the homeplug, but rather the broadband speed into the house).
  24. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +86
    I think I will give on a try.

Can I ask a really basic question here? If I get a NAS (thinking of this for xmas) can I stream my video files from that over the network, through the homeplug and into the Samsung TV? Or can video only be replayed through something connected to the USB or HDMI inputs?
  25. duncanr

duncanr Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Can't help you on that I'm afraid - p.218 of the eManual (available via the remote) suggests that the SmartHub can access files on a PC via the LAN link (using Allshare software installed on the PC - it says here), and I guess that should be possible via the Homeplug connection too, but the manual does also specifically refer to file stuttering as a possibility (probably just covering themselves, but I guess you don't know until you've tried it).
  26. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Good lord, I just downloaded Allshare and lo and behold I can play a video that's stred on my PC on the telly. It's like black magic....I have no idea how it works!
  27. Borisd0

Borisd0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is this really true? Samsung say that the UE32D5520 has to be switched manually to accommodate different aspect ratio programmes. I cannot find a way of setting the set up. If true "SMART TV" seems to be a bit of a misnomer.

Anybody confirm the "dumb" feature or not?
  28. Wiggz

Wiggz Member

Ratings:
    +6
    All I can tell you is that I have the 40" version of the D5520 and I don't have to change my aspect ratio at all..seems to do it on the fly.

The only time I have problems with aspect ratio is streaming lower res tv or flicks using DLNA...but that's because the AR is screwed in the source...but it still presents it correctly
  29. Borisd0

Borisd0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wiggz,

Could offer me guidance as to the settings I need to achieve auto switching?

Thanks.
  30. Wiggz

Wiggz Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I'd love to Boris, however I didn't have to make any changes at all in order to get this to work. It's out of the box it seems.

Exactly what happens on your set then?