1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung UE40ES5500 - Any Info/Reviews on this screen?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Kungmoro, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Kungmoro

Kungmoro Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Heya guys,

I was shopping around for a new 40ish tv and happened across the Samsung UE40ES5500. It's relatively new so unfortunately there are no reviews or first impressions available on the web. Has anyone picked one up yet? I'm not close to any major stores so haven't really had a chance to see it in person.

Richer sounds are doing it for £550 whereas John Lewis have it listed at £679.95. So I think you can price match it for a 5 year warranty at JL for 550.

If anybody comes across any info or first hand impressions will you please post it up here?

Cheers

-K.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

News:

Iplayer/App status:

Hello, it's Gabriella from John Lewis. Thank you for your review, your feedback is very important to us. Unfortunately the launch of the BBC iPlayer service on this Samsung SMART TV has taken longer than anticipated due to delays in the development and enhancement of the iPlayer App that Samsung have applied to their 2012 models. Regrettably it has taken a series of customer complaints for this issue to come to light. In addition there has also been a delay in launching the ‘LoveFilm' Video on demand app, which should be available from June.

Samsung expect the BBC iPlayer application to be available as an upgrade by the end of May. Once the App is released it will be downloaded via the smart hub which will update your set automatically. New sets sold after the launch of the App will be upgraded during the set up process as normal. Firmware upgrades will become increasingly common on SMART TVs, as they already are in the IT and mobile sectors to increase the user experience and improve services. We apologise for any inconvenience this delay has caused you and would like to reassure you that this issue should be rectified in the coming weeks.

Info:

1080p
    LED backlit as opposed to edge lit (???)
    No 3D
    100Hz CMR || 50Hz Normal
    HD Freeview
    Smart TV Functions (iplayer,etc)
    USB Video playback + recording
    DLNA Compliant via Ethernet/WiFi

Currently the cheapest deals are:

• £479 using a voucher at Sainsburys courtesy of frogman
    • £519.95 at John Lewis using price match with Richer Sounds or Sainsbury

Reviews:

Settings:
    Energy Saving : Off
    Eco Sensor : Off
    Backlight : 19 (Adjust according to room brightness)
    Motion Lighting : Off
    LED Motion Plus : Off
    Black Tone : Off
    Dynamic Contrast : Medium
    Game Mode: On (When playing games this will reduce input lag)

Accessories:

• WiFi Dongle -
    • Wireless keyboard/mice - Here
    • Stability bar - Here
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  2. Curly99

Curly99 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,018
    Thread Moved

Curly
  3. available247

available247 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    im looking at this tv too any info would be good guys come on !!!
  4. Kungmoro

Kungmoro Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well popped into my local currys and had a quick look at it. Both the 40EH5000 and 40ES5500 were side by side so you'd think I'd be able to get a comparison but unfortunately the video cable wasn't attached properly to the former and no reds were being displayed.

The 40ES5500 is slim, in fact much slimmer than its lower tiered brother the 40EH5000 and it looks real pretty with the glass bezel. Apart from that I couldn't really gauge the picture quality as they were playing some crappy pixelated demo reel and it wasn't physically close to any of the other similarly priced LEDlit LCDs for a proper colour comparison. Plus I don't reckon it was calibrated properly so the only way we'll be able to tell if its a good TV is if someone sets up one at home.

Personally I've got it narrowed down to either this or the Panasonic 42st30 offer on directTV. I'm edging towards the Samsung at the moment as i'm a bit wary with all the problems appearing on the pannys (green blobs, etc). Then again the samsung is pretty new so any late occurring problems won't rear their ugly head till later.

The thing is I'm not even sure if its edgelit or backlit as there are conflicted listings on different websites. I know for a fact that the EH5000 has very pretty backlit screen so in theory its more expensive brother should have a better screen. Even the official entry on the samsung website has had its data changed over the last few days and i can't find a similar model on the american sites (they have the EH5000) which is odd.
  5. Kungmoro

Kungmoro Member

Ratings:
    +1
  6. watcher64

watcher64 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    The JL website describes as boasting 'precision backlighting for amazing results across all your media' and 'LED backlighting creates darker blacks and brighter colours'.

Doesn't mean properly backlit, just uses edge lit LED for backlighting. Even on the 5520, which I have, backlighting control is in the menu but it is an edge lit screen.

The 'precision backlighting' phrase strongly suggests local dimming though, so who knows?

On the other hand, the top of the range micro dimming 7 series is described on Samsungs site as 'LED Backlighting Technology Edge LED'. That's clear enough?
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
  7. Kungmoro

Kungmoro Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well on paper isn't it basically an updated version of the UE40D5520?

If so it'd be an excellent TV judging by the reviews of the predecessor. I've currently got a price match from JL for £535 but just waiting on the first few reviews to trickle out before I part with the £££s.
  8. watcher64

watcher64 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I have the 5520, it's OK, but I had to have 5 of them in order to get a decent one. Can't really see what the fuss is about though.
  9. The North Face

The North Face Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've purchased one, just waiting for it to be delivered, I found it pretty hard to track one down as no one had it in stock. One place did but tried to push me in to an extended warranty cover which cost a lot, so I wasn't interested. In the end I decided on JL as the price was the same as other stores & they give a five year guarantee on it.
    Richer Sounds were £15 cheaper, but they didn't have it in stock.

I'll update once I get it up & running. I understand it to be back lit, not just edge lit, it's sold as fully back lit.
    The USB record device seems like a bit of a waste of time as it'll only record what you're watching, so if you have Virgin Media like I do or Sky etc then you won't have any use for it.

One thing though, what's the deal with the wireless dongle? Does it have to be Samsung? or will another wireless one work? It's meant to be £50 but it's about £35 online from a few retailers, since I've just bought the TV I kind of begrudge paying more.
  10. Kungmoro

Kungmoro Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yay, finally someone's grabbed one! I await your updates :D

On the dongle front, I heard that most of the Samsungs from this season don't work with 3rd party ones.

There's a Romanian review here (use google translate) that confirms this as well

Tibi's Blog » Samsung 32ES5500 (UE32ES5500W) Review
  11. Sor

Sor Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Woohoo... me too, waiting on your review North Face.

Am thinking of getting one of these for a friend's birthday. Though it only has one scart and they have a VCR and dvd player... I don't want to 'make' them have to buy a new dvd/blu-ray player (money being very tight and all that).
  12. Promised Land

Promised Land Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :eek::eek::eek:.......................I'll be your friend:devil:
  13. watcher64

watcher64 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Wow, a lot of excitable people here. It's only a telly chaps.;)

Fully backlit? The 5520 for example, was supposed to be LED technology. It's not, it's LED lit, which is completely different, so I'd take these claims with a pinch of salt.

Regards the dongle, the Hama one is half the price and works fine.
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  14. Kungmoro

Kungmoro Member

Ratings:
    +1

haha, well if I'm going to be stuck with it over the next few years it helps to be vigilant. Plus my tv stand is looking quite bare with nothing on it at the moment :p

On the backlit/edgelit front I've head conflicting reports. It's weird cause the lower tiered mode, UE40EH5000, is definitely backlit so it makes sense if the older brother has a better screen right? And apparently the EH has better sound cause it's "thicker" than the UE40ES5500. If the only difference is the smartTV than you might as well save the money and use it for a AcerRevo xbmc or something. Also the Eh is 50Hz while the ES is 100CMR so is realistically 50Hz as well. I'm not sure if I've worked it out right

Someone's posted up a video to show the bleeding/clouding for the ES and it doesn't look too bad:

Samsung 32ES5500 Backlight bleeding / clouding Test - YouTube!
  15. watcher64

watcher64 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I've not read that anywhere, but it IS definitely thicker than other LED TVs, suggesting backlit, like the old LCDCCFL TVs.
  16. Sor

Sor Member

Ratings:
    +1
    *grin* Well, after buying the parents some nice shiny Tvs not so long ago and this for my friend and also thinking of some humax foxes for the parents now too....I'm really outta money big time! Good job I don't have a life. New friends are welcome but I ain't got any more shiny tech to hand out though will accept donations. :devil:

Had a look at the ES5500 in Curry's last night. It was beside the D5520. Looks-wise it's pretty. Less of a border which I like. Picture quality... well this particular Curry's is exceptionally bad at displaying pictures and that's not even the tv setup issue! *sigh* It did look brighter and clearer than last year's model. For the rubbish picture that was displayed, it was as good and better than some of the other tvs around it. (Had to get them to turn the ES5500 on. It's as if they don't want to sell TVs!)

Will hopefully be able to wait on some sort of review, but considering who I am buying it for and their needs, it's probably quite suitable for the purpose. *thinks she may wander off to RS soon*
  17. The North Face

The North Face Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the TV up & running, just on standard settings at the min as I didn't have time to mess around with it, looks good so far, really happy with it.
    I can say that the picture looks the same the whole way across the screen so I do think it's fully backlit.

Can anyone point me towards a thread with preferred custom settings, I'm a total TV noob as it were.

Annoyingly RS have reduced it by a fiver to £529.99 but that's only with the standard Samsung warranty, so I'm still happy that I paid £549.90 with a five year one from JL.

I have a dongle on the way, found them on sale for £34 delivered online so bought one.

Next up will be a decent dvd/blu ray player as the one I have is pretty old now. Going with a soundbar too as I like a bit of bass (I'll be looking at one with a sub etc)
  18. watcher64

watcher64 Member

Ratings:
    +3
  19. mrc5516

mrc5516 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just picked this up today (warranty replacement on my old Samsung M87). Initial impressions very favourable.

Not had much chance to play yet beyond wiring it in, but basic tv settings out of box seem ok (though on my PS3 look quite washed out) so plannign some tweaking.

So, if anyone has some settings (northface - any luck yet?) they've tried, I'd also be interested!

Also, a general samsung query I guess - can/do you set different callibrations for different inputs? I presume would be best to have game mode enabled on my PS3 and I may want it different to my virgin tivo box.

Cheers!
  20. Kungmoro

Kungmoro Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Some settings from the Romanian review:

Energy Saving : Off
    Eco Sensor : Off
    Backlight : 19 (Adjust according to room brightness)
    Motion Lighting : Off
    LED Motion Plus : Off
    Black Tone : Off
    Dynamic Contrast : Medium

On a side note im thinking that if the only difference between this set and the EH5000 is the CMR/Smart TV, than I might as well just get the EH and use the money saved for an Acer Revo HTPC. Then again the ES5500 does look muuuuch prettier :devil:
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  21. Banana Rama

Banana Rama Member

Ratings:
    +8

hello mate, any chance you could do an input lag test for this set while gaming, do you notice any inpug lag while gaming, also what is the PQ like on your PS3 after tweaking, i am tempted by the deal with john lewis, thanks............
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  22. The North Face

The North Face Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've not tried any other settings yet, sadly been to busy looking at 5.1 systems etc (this stuff never ends)

You are right though, out of the box settings do seem ok, but I'll have a play around with the settings given in another thread I just saw.

I can say the lack of a keyboard for typing on the internet browser is a pain, as this is my first smart TV I didn't know how to get the keyboard on the screen. I did it but it's hard to get it on iPlayer etc, I had it working, but on the second & third go, iPlayer decided that it didn't support the device :( It did pick up my home connection straight away though when I plugged the dongle in.
  23. Banana Rama

Banana Rama Member

Ratings:
    +8
    if any of you guys have been gaming on this set with ps3 or 360 could you give me your opinion with regards input lag and picture quality, thanks...........
  24. mrc5516

mrc5516 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Picking up on various comments below:

Yes, it's very pretty!

PS3: Default settings need tweaking. Definately knockign backlight up (on all inputs). I'm currently at 17. I need to sit down and tweak others but not had time. I've I'll tried SSX (and partner on Peggle - when isn't she) and not noticed any lag, but not had chance to try COD or similar yet.

I've also not got a dongle yet (did you go for the Samsung one or a 3rd party?) so can't comment on the internet and perihperal connectivity.

Overall, though, seems a great little tv for the price. The thin border virtually disappears when you're watching tv and produces a really nice enveloping picture.
  25. Banana Rama

Banana Rama Member

Ratings:
    +8
    sounds good, maybe you can come back with further comments after you have tried a few different games on it with regards input lag and picture quality, thanks............
  26. Sor

Sor Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Woohoo. Sounds good. Think I'll wander off to RS tomorrow and price match JL. That's tomorrow planned (darn, apart from the work bit)
  27. The North Face

The North Face Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can it be adjusted on the stand? I want to tilt it forward so it's vertical (it's leaning back at the min) seems like it won't budge though! ans I don't want to force it.
  28. Banana Rama

Banana Rama Member

Ratings:
    +8
    it should say in the manual if it is adjustable, i wouldn't try to do it without knowing for sure.............
  29. mrc5516

mrc5516 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  30. The North Face

The North Face Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, hmm I bit annoyed that it's not adjustable, it looks weird leaning backwards.