Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung UE40EH5000 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Lankz, May 26, 2012.

1. pixelpidgeon

pixelpidgeon Active Member

Ratings:
    +265
    I am currently using these settings for the tv and for the xbox (the last bit in my previous post). am also on the latest firmware, and have ganme mode switched off.. I am happy with the results, and have played borderlands 2 with satisfactory results to my eyes anyway. Bearing in mind that all inputs i.e. hdmi1, hdmi2 & tv have to have the changes made each.

I have yet to change the settings further with something like thx/video test card settings from a blu-ray. But im pretty happy with the settings as they are for now. Particularly impressed with freeview hd, especially considering im only using an indoor areial.

2. pixelpidgeon

Ratings:
    +265
    I would think so yes. For me its a matter of experimenting with settings other people have spent time putting together, and making any changes that i personally think improve the picture in my eyes...

although i will be setting my hdmi1 to standard at some point and running a blur-ray settings procedure to see what the results look like.

3. Dibils

Dibils Member

Ratings:
    +38
    can anyone tell me if this samsung tv has that annoying auto dimming that plagued the samsung tvs for the past few years?? i hate that thing

i hear you could turn them off in service menu but i never held the tv longs enough to find out. if they got rid of that ridiculous feature i might be getting this. also i would prefer a reply from someone who is savvy on this feature as casual users may not notice it
  4. pixelpidgeon

Ratings:
    +265
    i own this tv and have eco solution and eco sensor turned off and i havent experienced any auto dimming. The two eco settings can be found in the system settings and not picture :smashin:

5. penguinpaul

penguinpaul Member

Ratings:
    +95
    I have found on mine that in the Standard and Natural presets, autodimming is on by default. It can be turned off in the settings.
    The movie mode, which I use all the time for its more natural colour balance, has Eco mode off. You can't even turn it on for This preset.

I agree it's a bit annoying and makes detail in dark scenes hard to pick out.
  6. wolfiesmith2000

wolfiesmith2000 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    struggling with this. i have exe file. have run and put results on stick. tv still says cant find upgrade file. csn someone give me instructions please
  7. finite

finite Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Are you able to use that stick to play video or view pictures?

The T-MST9DEUC folder should be the only thing on the drive.
  8. joker197cinque

joker197cinque Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I would like to buy this TV for these usage:

- 80% video (SD and HD)
    - 10% live TV (SD and HD)
    - 10% gaming (x360/ps3)

How it will go ? I read on web that it is not so valuable for gaming ...

Thanks for help :) .
  9. Lankz

Lankz Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Does it matter which way round i put my Xbox 360 or Sky+ HD HDMI leads?

i have HDMI In:

1 (DVI)

whats the difference??
  10. pixelpidgeon

Ratings:
    +265
    im unaware of any difference. i have bluray player in 1, and xbox + media player sharing 2 via hdmi switch. is there nothing in the manual?

11. testo

testo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there! I just bought this TV (46' version), specifically for gaming (PS3/WiiU), so i followed these settings, and i must say that the results are amazing! Astonishing image! :smashin:
    So i just wanted to put a few words to thank you for such a comprehensive How-to. This is great!
    (one quick question though, when you say "SHARPNESS 20 (DTV + media player) 8 (xbox)", you mean sharpness for gaming should be set on 8, right?)
    Anyways, many thanks to you for sharing!! :hiya:
  12. pixelpidgeon

Ratings:
    +265
    no probs. One of the things this forum and its inhabitants does well. share information:smashin:

yes i currently have xbox sharpness set to 8. im still playing about with settings and because my room is relatively dark ive reduced contrast to 80 at the mo...

13. TheJudge23

TheJudge23 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I recently purchased a UE40EH5000 and I've noticed a buzzing sound coming from the back of the TV when i'm watching Freeview HD . I'm using an amplified indoor aerial (i know, i know) but the reception is perfect. It does buzz a little when the amplifier on the aerial is switched off but not as loud as when the amplifier is switched on. The buzzing is at it's loudest when the energy saving setting is switched to off on the TV and it gradually gets quieter as you turn up the energy saving. The TV already had the latest firmware version installed when i received it. I've tried a couple of different aerials/aerial cable and plugged the TV and Aerial into different plug sockets but still getting this buzzing sound. Could there be a problem with the TV?

EDIT - I've just tried connecting a 5m cable to the tv with me just holding the other end (there is a picture but it does cut out) and the buzzing is still there on Freeview HD. SD & HD USB playback appear to be fine.

Thanks.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  14. Garrison

Garrison Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

New to the forum and have just bought a 40EH5000. Very impressed with the picture and the black performance now that I got it calibrated. Tried the cal numbers from here but I reckon the cal numbers from this link are better for my panel.

The *OFFICIAL* 2012 Samsung EH4000/EH5000/EH5300 Owner's Thread...

Hope you don't mind a link from the competition !! There are also follow up notes from the same guy.

Judge23: If the buzzing isn't coming from the speakers (they can be switched off) then its probably something in the power supply that is vibrating. Need to speak to your supplier if it bothers you. If it goes when you switch the speakers off then maybe 50Hz interference getting into the sound circuits. Try unplugging all the leads to see if it goes away.
  15. fasterfix

fasterfix Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i just tried these settings and the result is very good. Now i don't know which setting i must use (for gaming).
    older days were simpler :)
  16. deefadog

deefadog Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Ooooo, going to give this a try later!! Thanks
  17. djh100

djh100 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've recently bought this tv and cant get sound out to my hifi.

I've connected the phono cables to the audio out on the back of the tele and they go into a denon cd/amp unit.

I've tried both with external speaker and tv speaker settings but can't get any sound.

It works fine through the headphone out, and worked fine with the same cables and denon unit from a Sony Bravia.

Any ideas? Is it a fault or am I missing something?

Many thanks for any help!
  18. morgan_man

morgan_man Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello

We have the same TV and same problem.

Sent two mails to Samsung help and their replies were of no use at all.

So I set about experimenting:

1. The phono sockets on the back of the TV are audio/video IN only.

2. The mini-jack headphone socket is audio OUT but mutes all sound when a plug is inserted. Useless anyway as the TV is wall mounted and you can not reach the socket.

3. The SCART socket on the back of the TV is IN and OUT. I used a SCART multi-adaptor kit to test and got good audio OUT for headphones or amplifier. I then bought a SCART to two phono lead which worked for our headphones/amplifier.

Problems occur when feeding the Samsung with HDMI from another source - DVD player or Humax T2 - the SCART socket will only feed the TV tuner's audio output. Great fun watching one programme and listening to another.

4. The best solution I've found is to use the optical audio out. This will output either the TV tuner's audio or audio from another source via HDMI.
    I bought a optical to phono adaptor from a well known auction site and used a spare optical lead to connect up. I split the audio/phono output to supply both our headphone and amplifier.

All's working well.

Hope this helps
    Chris

19. metalmunki

metalmunki Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just received this unit from Amazon, to replace an older Samsung 40" model I had, and while the picture is beautiful compared (my old one was starting to degrade with dark patches appearing), I'm finding the cut down options compared to my old LE40A559P rather disappointing.

Checking the firmware, interestingly it claims it as 1022, when the latest version available on the Samsung website is 1021. Curious to say the least!
  20. penguinpaul

penguinpaul Member

Ratings:
    +95
    This might be a silly question, but I went to have a look at the software update section to see if there might be an update, and it was greyed out.

Is this because it's not connected to ethernet?

My previous TV downloaded OTA, so I'm guessing that things are a bit different for the Samsung? Or USB maybe?
  21. penguinpaul

penguinpaul Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Ok ignore me, it's fine now. Although, I'm on 1018, it's not found any over the air. I do have the 32 inch model though.
  22. neologan

neologan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    anyone have details on the input lag of this screen? want a 40" for gaming only.
  23. finite

finite Member

Ratings:
    +103
    I'm not sure it works OTA I updated mine manually via USB with the firmware from here.

Support for UE32EH5000K
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. bennybroadbean

bennybroadbean Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have purchased this TV and connected my PC to it via HDMI.

Now the picture whilst watching the TV is fine when I come to use the TV with my PC the quality of the picture is pretty bad.

For example when on the msn.com website the pictures are really grainy.

I've set the picture to fit the screen aswell.

Is there anything I can do to improve the quality of the picture whilst using the PC?

I'm using a PC with a NVIDIA® GeForce GT 620 1GB graphics card
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  25. Daijw

Daijw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This may be an incredibly silly question but the USB port....where is it? Model is UE40eh5000. But there is no USB?
  26. Daijw

Daijw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Urg , I got it. Sorry,
  27. polys643

polys643 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone notice how annoyingly slow the navigation in the media player menu is? I have a 1TB HDD plugged in and all my movies are under a "Movies" folder in their own separate folder. And it takes at least a second to change between folders.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  28. minimadmotorman

minimadmotorman Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So what firmware is everyone running? Picked mine up last night and it's on 1022?

Anything worth looking at/changing in the service menu's?
  29. dave1978

dave1978 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    1022 seems to now be available to download online as of today

Support for UE40EH5000K
  30. TeeDoubleUDee

TeeDoubleUDee Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Do we know what 1022 offer over 1021?