Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SAMSUNG SP43W6HL - sold a dud!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Sly, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Sly

Sly Member

Ratings:
    +42
    a friend has a samsung SP43W6HL TV that won't accept a xbox 360 hd signal in 1080i.
    Samsung say that this is a 'non-standard' 60hz signal (they say it will only except a 50hz signal) and he has no case against them (one of the reasons he brought it was that it said 1080i on the front).
    can someone let me know if this is true,does that mean bluray/hd-dvd wont work either?
    can someone post what other products will or wont work with this tv?
    i.e. what hd products are 50hz/60hz.
    thanks.
  2. vinny41

vinny41 Active Member

Ratings:
    +285
  3. Sly

Sly Member

Ratings:
    +42
    need to know what will work and what wont , that thread just says ''It will not support 720p or 1080i either from the Xbox 360 or Samsung's own upscaling DVD players.''
  4. Jordans Norks

Jordans Norks New Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Was the TV sold as HD Ready - if so he can have a full refund under "not fit for purpose" as a HD ready TV MUST except a 720p, 1080i input at 50 and 60Hz to qualify for this.

If it wasn't advertised as HD Ready your mate may be stuck I'm afraid - the shop may take pity on you and allow you to exchange for a restocking fee though.

Good luck.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Kirby

Kirby Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I purchased one of these tv's last year and returned it last month due to its lack of HD support. I would recommend a look at the consumer direct site, if you tell them your circumstances they can advise you what to do next. where did he buy the set from and how long ago?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sly

Sly Member

Ratings:
    +42
    tv says 'HDTV 1080i' not 'hdready' but if you are a customer you think it would support hd if it says hdtv on the front!
  7. Sly

Sly Member

Ratings:
    +42
    will ask him , and post when he got it.
  8. Sly

Sly Member

Ratings:
    +42
    was brought about 18 months ago from currys.
    they have known about his complaint for months and keep saying they will phone him back/someone is on holiday/didnt get the message/cats eaten it/etc!
    i am going to currys with him next week to speak to the customer services manager.
  9. preime

preime Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had exactly the same problem - brought my Samsung from Currys about 18 months ago with the assumption that it can display at least 720p if not the 1080i. Rather weak argument of samsungs to say that they are in the clear as it does not support "non-standard" signal - how much more standard that a mass market item like the xbox360 do you want to get?:thumbsdow
  10. Sly

Sly Member

Ratings:
    +42
    went with my mate to currys the other day to help with some motivational 'jumping up and down whilst shouting' but the guy dealing (or not) with his complaint is on holiday so the waiting goes on (in standard def!).
  11. jonners79

jonners79 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same tv and have just booked Sky HD installation for this weekend. does that mean it will not work? Bought mine form Currys 2 years ago - anyone had any luck getting money back??

Cheers,

Matt
  12. Sly

Sly Member

Ratings:
    +42
    cool a guinea pig!
    have not got a clue if it will work depends if it does 1080i at 50hz i think.
    try asking that question in the sky hd forum would be a idea,think there is a sky installer registered there too.
  13. kennyg75

kennyg75 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, did anyone find out if this TV works with Sky HD?
  14. MartinHD

MartinHD Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sky HD should work on your sammy because they transmit in 70p50Hz or 1080i50Hz. This is the PAL region standard and also why samsung supports this format and not the 60Hz version (which would have be nice because of the game consoles use a Amerikan standard). Here is some more info on the Sky HD format: http://www.burnyourbonus.info/hdtv-faq/faq2.html
  15. micktomo79

micktomo79 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    i have one of these tvs it cannot display resolutions over 490 it is ***** and doesnt do what it is sold as! after many weeks of arguing with samsung and currys i have now got a dictaphone message from samsung clearly stating the tv cant produce hd resolutions after submitting this to currys they admitted they are at fault and kath baker from customer support offered me £275 in a way of compensation and i got to keep the tv as a spare in my games room! i bought this tv in 2004 so all of you that think it is too late to claim it isnt £275 isnt alot but it is better than a kick in the head when you thought it was too late! Please contact me at thompson824@btinternet.com if you would like a copy of my complaint letter i sent to currys and i am quite willing to give you a statement to prove all my contact details and that currys have already admitted liability by compensating me! If they have for me they must do it for you too! i tried squezzing a bit more from them but they were not having it and couldnt be bothered trying the small claims court to sort it! maybe you will as they clearly broke the law by selling it and most trading standard laws! remember it is not for you to discuss with samsung it is currys that should sort the problem you bought the tv from them! good luck! mick
  16. simon1

simon1 Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Well Done :clap:

It just shows that it's worth persisting in matters like this.

£275 sounds like a fair settlement to me.