Samsung Smart TV - 4od, ITV on Demand?

Hi, does anyone know how you can check the signal strength for streaming skype/iplayer via upstairs rooter to downstairs tv, and whats the best rooter?

Thanks B

The solution for on demand for other channels may be to play in on my lap top and connect it (via cable of course, because the all share doesn't work with Apple - it just gets better!). Does anyone use PC's these days? haha
TVMOBiLi allows you to use Allshare on the Mac - A Free DLNA Media Server For Mac, Windows, and Linux

And to people moaning that the Samsung Smart TV doesn't have much video on-demand going for it... Have you seen the picture on these things? Buying a TV for its built-in apps is like buying a sports car just to drive to the shops... Or something ;) what I mean is, the Smart TV is a way of luring you in and yes it is cool... WiFi on a TV is great for streaming content from other devices, and it's great that it has so many inputs... But the built-in software is a bit of fun, although iPlayer was a selling point for me. But seriously, if you want anything serious for on-demand TV, buy a separate set-top box such as Boxee, Apple TV or even a PS3.

Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned, but for me the selling point of my Samsung was the *picture quality* :D:smashin:

Hi all

I can confirm the Internet part is bad, I have the 3d app to show off the 3d but yet to see it.

Pic is great.

No good for the smart apps as they open when they feel like it,

B

I took delivery of a Samsung 6510 this week. I figured the web connectivity would be primitive and it certainly is, and I don't expect usable models to hit the market for a couple of years yet. God knows why TV development is so slow. Samsung puts Android on its phones, why not its TVs?
The apps are rubbish. The IPlayer app is passable but for some reason the response times and download times are much longer than my PC. I tried the 4od and itv players. Neither work in the samsung browser because the they require flash 10.3 min. There is no way of finding out what version of flash the samsung browser is running. We will have to wait for samsung to update the browser.
Internet browsing is almost unusable. The search feature is a bit better because it offers an onscreen qwerty keyboard, whereas the browser only offers a texting keyboard. Once you get your search results you can tab to the result of interest. Once you reach the target site things get worse. Tabbing across links is tedious, slow and sometime fruitless. The pointer feature is unusable. How can these manufacturers develop the TVs but not the remotes?
I was expecting all of that, but I assumed I could download a phone app to make things work. No luck yet. There are two samsung apps: remote and smartview. Smartview supports phone to tv streaming but turns out it only works with 7000 series TVs and above. Remote supports my model, but all it seems to do is to replicate the useless tv remote UI on the phone which seems pretty pointless. I can't download it anyway because it is incompatible with my Galaxy ace. I can't find any info specifying that as a requirement. The market only specifies Android 2.2 or greater. I can't see any reason why it should not work beyond bloody mindedness at samsung. I can download and run the tablet version, but app viewport size makes it unworkable.

I agree, the internet facility has been hugely oversold IMHO. Particularly the 4OD, which has been "coming soon" since I was wearing short trousers. I really think they are harming their reputation by dragging their feet so much. If it ain't truly "imminent" then keep shtum until it is. However, even taking those (hugely irritating) factors into account, I'm still really happy with my UE32D6530.
I guess it really depends on what you use it for.
3D - Disappointing, but always was a gimmick for me.
Internet - Disappointing - use your computer.
Apps - Not what I was led to believe, stuff has been promised but I guess its "in the post" so again - Disappointing
Media Streaming/Allshare - works OK I suppose, but a bit limited on music. You don't get ID3 tag info and artwork. Winamp do a "Winamp Remote" for pc's that does all of that. Now THAT would be an app worth having....
Sound - Surprisingly good given the thickness of the set
Picture - Absolutely stonkingly good. Both HD, normal, and upscaled.
Aesthetics - When it comes to physical looks, this set is head and shoulders above anything else in its price band, (and quite a way beyond)
Would I buy another one? - yes, but the next size screen up I think. The narrow bezel makes it seem less of a huge panel in the corner.
So you pays yer money......

Last edited:
I pretty much agree with everything you said above!

3D - Disappointing, but always was a gimmick for me.
I agree, but I'm finding it a bit of a shame that we're getting more and more 3D content but it's not worth watching because of the quality. I knew when I bought it that the 3D was supposed to have a bit of cross-talk, but what none of the reviews mentioned was that there's a bug with the 6-series that means the vertical resolution is *halved* when watching in 3D! :( they advertised it as being "Full HD 3D" which unfortunately is a complete lie.

Media Streaming/Allshare - works OK I suppose, but a bit limited on music. You don't get ID3 tag info and artwork. Winamp do a "Winamp Remote" for pc's that does all of that. Now THAT would be an app worth having....
I just use Allshare as a way of playing videos from my computer without having to plug in an HDMI cable, so on that score it fulfills my needs. Ultimately I want an Apple TV, but I'm not going to get one of those until they go full 1080p HD.
Picture - Absolutely stonkingly good. Both HD, normal, and upscaled.
Agreed... And, let's face it, that's what's really important! :D

The problem with 4od, Five on Demand and ITV on demand is that these sites require an updated Flash player which Smart Hub doesn't have embedded in it yet. I believe Apple TV and Boxee boxes have the same problem.

However to watch ITV on demand you can access it via the Scottish ITV site STV - Scottish news, sport, entertainment and catch-up with your favourite TV shows which for some reason hasn't updated its flash player requirements yet.

You have to access the site through the SMarthub web browser though so don't look for a specific app.

Hope this assists

It's important to realise that its the TV companies that develop these apps for smart TVs, not the TV manufacturer. The iPlayer has a presence on more platforms simply because your licence fee is funding a large team of developers who are building a version of it for as many devices as they can. Commercial TV stations clearly do not have the resources to invest in this sort of work as it is currently servicing a very small percentage of their audience.

The problem with 4od, Five on Demand and ITV on demand is that these sites require an updated Flash player which Smart Hub doesn't have embedded in it yet. I believe Apple TV and Boxee boxes have the same problem.

You're sort of right. The TVs browser is not designed for this sort of thing in the same way that the browser on your phone is not. The manufacturer wants dedicated apps so that the performance can be consistent - we just have to wait for them!

I would have thought the add ons that it uses to play bbc iplayer programmes would be the same that it needed for any other on demand tv no?

The technology is the same insofar as the platform has a built in flash player that different apps can access, but each broadcaster will supply its programmes in a significantly different way. Anyway, as mentioned in my other post its the broadcaster that has to supply the app to the TV manufacturer.

I just bought a UE32D5500 and I can not keep the misses of it because of you tube so I have not had much time look at the other apps. I did have a quick look at all share and thought it was pretty good got to say it. I'm new to all this this SMART TV stuff but there must be a way to stream your desktop with out a HDMI cable but if there is'nt i'm happy using a cable to get ITV player etc on to the tele

I dont seem to have iplayer or ace trax available on my E550, Are some apps only available on certain models ?

I tried to up date the software but it said there wherent any updates available.

Strated watching a film on netflix last night and i must say i was surprised how clear the quality of the streaming was through 200 mps homeplugs.

Bit new to this and not overly technological!
Can u just connect a laptop (either wirelessly or with cable) to the tv and use the tv as the display, therefore watching 4od that way?

Connecting a laptop or a tablet with HDMI out and flash support (Android) would also work.

If you want 4oD you could use a media server like Serviio (its free for Win, OSX, Linux) and get the 4oD addin and setup up series.

was under the impression that I could watch channel 4 OD, ITV Player, etc via the browser. Fuming to find out the web browser is almost unusable. Is there any idea if or when we will get dedicated apps for channel 4 OD, I player etc.

ITV Player is now available on by Samsung Smart TV - although no HD content.

ozsat said:
ITV Player is now available on by Samsung Smart TV - although no HD content.

Is this on the newer series 7 tv 's ? Can't seem to see it available for download on my series 6.

Its on my 7 series.

Its on my series 7.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom