1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung R86/87/88 Owners Thread, ~Settings/Discussion *Part 2*

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by RottenFox, Dec 14, 2008.

1. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,149
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  2. scotty2809

scotty2809 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    dibs to be 1st to post....as everyone will now be looking at this thread rather than the 'part 1'

The question:
    right ive always wondered this, just thought maybe someone could clear this up for me. I have my samsung connected via hdmi to my pc as well at its native res, now for xmas im getting a blu-ray optical drive for the pc and wanted to know if i play a blu-ray film from my pc onto the samsung it self, will it be true 720p as its running at the resolution from the PC rather than say a direct blu-ray player would output over 720p/1080i/1080p. Would i in affect need to change resolution to a height of 720 pixels in order for this to be 'true' HD or would simple the software that is supplied (PowerDVD HD i think?) do the scaling process etc? thanks, Scott.
  3. kendo88

kendo88 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    My TV has stopped responding to my remote. When i press a button the red light on my R88 blinks, but nothing happens, what can i do?
  4. PaddyRamsey

PaddyRamsey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody tell me what version of HDMI this telly has? Is it 1.3?
  5. chenks

chenks Member

Ratings:
    +3
    does anyone know if you can change/adjust the overscan on the LE32R87BD in the service menu ?

i am trying to set up the TV using the BBCHD test card and i'm missing quite a bit from the sides.
  6. Yemeth

Yemeth Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,047
    If you're connected via HDMI #2 or VGA, than the picture wont fill the 1366x768 screen of the tv at 720p, due to 720p being 1280x720. But if your sending a standard progressive/interlaced, the tv will do the processing and scale it to fit the screen at 720p, provided you choose Just Scan in the HDMI options.

Try disconnecting the tv from the power socket, then turning it back on.

Version 1.2.

If you're running the test card via HDMI, just choose Just Scan in the options and you should be getting the full pic without overscan.
  7. chenks

chenks Member

Ratings:
    +3
    where is that? in the service menu or normal user config menu ?
  8. Yemeth

Yemeth Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,047
    Press MENU, then enter the pic adjustments section (where the contrast etc. is). Then go down until you find 'Size'. One of them is Just Scan. Alternatively, you can keep pressing the P.Size button at the bottom of the remote control to browse through all the size options until you get Just Scan.
  9. chenks

chenks Member

Ratings:
    +3
    ok sorted... that is now showing all of the test card.
  10. chenks

chenks Member

Ratings:
    +3
    hmmm... i'm find that with using the "just scan" option, it is actually over adjusting it.
    on some channels i am now getting a small/thin black area on some of the sides that i didn't have before.

it's as if it has over compensated the over scan and took it took far. it's quite noticeable on sky sports news.
  11. Yemeth

Yemeth Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,047
    Just Scan is the in-built process of mapping the signal as close to a 1:1 pixel ratio as possible.

My knowledge in tv broadcasts is limited, but it could be due to the HD broadcasts being 720p (1280x720) in relation to the panel's 1366x768. Despite this, the signal should be filling the screen in Just Scan. Is this for all channels or just sky and a select few? How wide are the black lines? Top/bottom or the sides?

See how much 16:9 differs from Just Scan. If it's acceptably larger to a point that there is no significant cropping, you may want to keep it as 16:9.
  12. chenks

chenks Member

Ratings:
    +3
    the HD channels fit the screen perfectly.
    it's channels like Paramount, sky sports news, E4 etc, that now have a little black at the left/right sides (and sometimes at the bottom).

as a comparison, with 16:9 mode the DOG for HistoryHD is touching the top of the screen, in JustScan mode, the DOG much lower (as i think it should be).

it's as if the JustScan mode in non-HD channels is over compensating to the stage where it is actually under-scanning.
  13. Yemeth

Yemeth Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,047
    It makes perfect sense if the non-HD channels are the ones with borders. Its because just scan is trying to map a significantly 'lower than 1366x768' signal to its screen. Obviously mapping 1:1 a small resolution onto a larger resolution screen will result in the 'letterbox' effect. (e.g. a 16:9 signal on a 16:10 monitor).

IIRC one of the settings is Auto Wide in the pic size options, see how that option fares. Also, check if there's something related to it in the options of the box itself.

Sky or Virgin?
  14. chenks

chenks Member

Ratings:
    +3
    it's sky.

the non-HD channels aren't showing in "letterbox" though.. the black spaces are at most only 0.5cm (if even that).
  15. Daniel Duerden

Daniel Duerden Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I find that when I turn 'movie plus' on, say for a games console. It stays on for all the other components. i.e. when I switch back to TV 'movie plus' is still on - but I didn't set it to be on for that component.

can anyone help?
  16. Yemeth

Yemeth Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,047
    Thats it?! Surely 0.5cm isnt a problem. Make sure you're box settings are 720p or 1080i, not Automatic.

Ideally, you'd never need to put Movie plus on (I know I dont).

Also, IIRC that issue plagued the M8 series, not the R8 series.

For a games console, turn Game Mode on instead of movie plus.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  17. chenks

chenks Member

Ratings:
    +3
    i know it doesn't sound a lot, but it does result in having weird white and black dashes appearing at the very top on some channels, which can be quite distracting when viewing.

i have my box set to 1080i.
  18. Yemeth

Yemeth Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,047
    Try posting this as a general Sky HD query in the Sky HD forum rather than an LCD query, hopefully people with more knowledge than me can help you. I dont know how else to remedy the situation as i dont have Sky.
  19. Keegz

Keegz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I have this strange problem with my R88, when I have the movie plus on wierd things happen, its quite hard to explain but for example: when there is a thin black line in front of a bright backround the line will flicker going transparent. Then when I turn the movie plus off it stops this problem but causes quite alot of motion judder on slow moving scenes. Any help would be appreciated.
  20. vallumlj

vallumlj Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi do i set the tv so sky hd starts every time instead of me having to go through all the source options
  21. carlosamp

carlosamp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    what are the default settings of the following options?

Dynamic Dimming:
    Dynamic Contrast:
    Dynamic CE:

thx in advance
  22. Vinterbird

Vinterbird Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Party 1 says that entering the Service Menu will void the warranty, but my TV has been having some problems, and I now need to send it in for repairs.

Will the Samsung reapir shop be able to tell that I've entered the service menu, and what should I do in this case? Just though luck?
  23. ll Deano ll

ll Deano ll Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I don't think that is true.

I've recently sold my Samsung but when I had it and had a problem (or so I thought) the guy told me how to go into the Service Menu whilst on the phone to him at Samsung so I wouldn't say that it voids the warranty otherwise he wouldn't of told me to do it.
  24. chenks

chenks Member

Ratings:
    +3
    mine does it on its own. i didn't need to do anything to make it do it.

SkyHD is connect to HDMI2 on my tv and it's always on that when i turn the TV on (unless of course i had it on another source when i turned it off).
  25. chenks

chenks Member

Ratings:
    +3
    samsung support told me that going into the service menu could invalidate the warranty.
  26. ll Deano ll

ll Deano ll Member

Ratings:
    +28
    'could'

The guy told me how to go in there etc and if that was the case then surely he would have told me 'if you do this, if you do that' kinda thing.
  27. chenks

chenks Member

Ratings:
    +3
    i'm not calling your a liar, i'm just telling what i was told.
    in fact, i still have the email and it's not "could" as i first thought....

28. ll Deano ll

ll Deano ll Member

Ratings:
    +28
    No, I know you aren't.

Also just saying what I was/wasn't told. :thumbsup:

Well either it does void the warranty or Samsung don't care about there customers because I wasn't told it voids the warranty.

What happened was that I started to see the previous picture shown on the TV when changing to another one so phoned them and he said 'are you with the TV now' I replied yes then he told me how to get into the Service Menu and said NOT to change anything then said to reset it.

We cannot advise how to adjust settings within the service menu
    as this voids the warranty

You're quote also seems that it voids the warranty IF you change settings.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  29. chenks

chenks Member

Ratings:
    +3
    if i was to take a guess, i would pick the latter.
    guy probably just wanted you off the phone. i bet if someone had went wrong, he would have denied ever telling you to do it.
  30. degu08

degu08 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 'Samsung LE32A457' and the component setting for the xbox360 in 'part 1' really don't ook that good on thsi tv...any recommendations?