Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung PS50Q/C7 Buzzing problem FIXED!!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Ex3Para, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Ex3Para

Ex3Para Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello all. I'm very close to buying either an LG 50PC1D or a Samsung PS50Q7. After reading the many posts regarding the buzzing noise on the Sammy, I decided to make it my mission to find a fix (mainly because I think I really want one). So......

I read all the posts on this forum.

Searched for other forums for the same problem (They exist)

Found no fix.

Had a thought about how small our beloved UK is, and wondered if the USA owners of this set had the same problem. They did..... They also (like us) noted that the problem is on the Sept - Dec 2006 models, but there's are made in Mexico!!!!

The USA calls this set the HPN5039. Now, this set has caused the same problem over there. But, where-as us Brits tend to be very patient in many areas of complaining, the Yanks are NOT.

They have identified and solved the issue.

After reading hours of USA HPN5039 owners threads, I found that there is a really simple fix.

The problem is as follows (cut and paste time) ......

The air gap between the cabinet back and the mating surface is so close, the operation of the plasma display causes a mechanical vibration against the cabinet back.

The (Official Samsung) fix....

Install a felt cushion, Samsung part number is: AA63-60122L. The cushion will fill the gap to provide insulation between the FPC cables and rear panel.

The (DIY USA Style) fix....

Place small (about 1mm thick) plastic washers between the back cover-panel and the housing in the 4 screws on the bottom left as you face the HDTV from the rear. More detailed: Remove the main back cover-panel. Place a small plastic washer between the back cover-panel and the housing starting with the lower left corner (as facing the HDTV from the rear). Place one more washer under each of the 3 screws above it also. Replace all the screws.

-----

Either way, it proves that you CAN fix the problem. Samsung know it (It's even spoken about in a Samsung Tech PDF Manual floating around on the net.) So, do what you will with this info.

Use it to chase Samsung for an answer or use it to fix it yourself.:thumbsup:

P.S..... The Yanks are stating that Jan 07 models have no buzz. Go find one.....
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Ex3Para

Ex3Para Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Any thoughts folks?
  3. garrybibson

garrybibson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks and although people have not replied, i don't think that they are not grateful, i am sure this has answered a lot of previously unanswered questions on this subject ... i sent mine back to dabs last week.

I am just in a dilemma to risk getting another or not!
  4. Darren73

Darren73 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a plan, but I need to wait until I can get someone round to help me get the thing off the wall before I try it - don't fancy trying by myself :)
  5. yannic

yannic Member

Ratings:
    +2
    nice ideas, no point in DIY though - Just get them to fix it (1. Doesnt void your warranty, 2. They are responsible)
  6. Vinny73

Vinny73 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Jan 07 Slovakia build and can confirm after 1 weekend and hours of use last week in the evenings absolutely no noticeable buzzing.

If your fix also works thats great for all those who have the issue.
    Providing they can carry out the fix without invalidating the warranty.

Worst case sounds like an engineer will have to visit to fix.

Now on to the next problem - Screen burn... anyone successfully used the anti screen burn on this set?

I noticed last night, having accidentally switched off my Sky box for 30 mins, when left the room, the tv just had EXT1 and NO SIGNAL burning brightly as static images on the screen. Low and behold after examining the screen on a blank background, the logos are nicely burnt there, after 30 or so minutes!

Im assuming tonight when I go home and run the anti screen burn it will clear it if still there, or it will have faded anyway?

But I could see what looked like a few other areas affected too. Madness, Id expect hours upon hours of a bright logo to maybe affect it, but minutes?

I am pretty paranoid about screen burn and even leaving SSN on for a lenghty period concerns me, with their bright graphic visual areas, whats everyone elses experience pls?
  7. chinaman99

chinaman99 Member

Ratings:
    +66
    dont worry too much i have the same set.

its just retention, i too was paranoid but have played various 360 games 4 around 5 hours at a time and then ran the screen wash 4 ten minutes and all is gone , try to just enjoy your screen mate and dont worry too much:thumbsup:
  8. welsh113

welsh113 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    you dont even need to run anything just let it fade away by itself. It only takes a few minutes, and all plasma's get it.
  9. Mr Twister

Mr Twister Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Ex3Para, did you go for the Samsung plasma ?
  10. Ex3Para

Ex3Para Member

Ratings:
    +4
    In the end............................ No.

There just seemed too many problems. Buzzing/screen retention/facia with what look like small dents on it/changing blacks/poor sound.

So yesterday I ordered a 50" Panasonic PX60 for £1149.

I must have spent weeks researching every 50" set that is available before I took the plunge. My Mrs was getting REALLY annoyed with me as well, due to the hours I spent on t'internet and the boring conversations that followed.:oops:
  11. IanS 01

IanS 01 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Im sorry mate. Thanks for your hard work, and that might fix A problem, but not THE problem. If it was rear panel vibration that could be easily tested for by placing your hand on, and pressing on, the rear panel, to feel for and stop vibration. It wouldn't cure the prob but it would localise it so you knew the problem.

Most people myself included have a transformer type hum. I was lucky - I got a replacement and the replacement was fine, but it was not the rear panel vibrating, and the sound was loudest bottom right of the telly if I recall correctly.

IanS
  12. JayBenoit

JayBenoit Member

Ratings:
    +10
    IanS,

Got my Sammy delivered yesterday. Sitting around 12 feet away from it and i can hear a buzz (almost like a whining/whistling sound, but no it's not the girlfriend!) coming from it during quiet scenes. Is this normal. It's more noticeable the closer you get to the screen but does not appear to be any worse in one particular corner, I see you mentioned the bottom right in your previous post.

Do you think this is normal? I haven't owned a screen this size before so not sure if i should hear any buzzing, whining or whistling coming from the tv at the distance i'm sitting away from it?

Plus after reading about these buzzing issues i'm deliberately listening out for it which is probably making it worse. Paranoia is setting in! Mine is a Feb 2007 Slovakia.

Thanks.
  13. Teejay69

Teejay69 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Chinaman99, how do you access the screen wash option. I presume it is in the service menu somewhere?:lease:
  14. CJSnet

CJSnet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering how those of you with the buzz are getting on? I have the PS50Q7HDX and have the same issue, a loud transformer-like buzz which just simply cannot ignore.

I just phoned Samsung and they couldn't have been more helpful. The guy knew of the issue and even said, "have you been looking at some of the forums online?"! He confirmed, "you're right it does seem to be an issue with some units manufactured around December 2006 ... it's the power supply unit and the fans which make more noise than they should".

Without question he booked me in with the service agent for a repair visit, but did warn they may have to take it away.

What luck have the rest of us had?
  15. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    the engineer came today to see mine. he brought little pads to fit to the heat sink which is the kit samsung provide - except they were already fitted to mine! a slovakia march 07. the engineer reckoned the kit didn't work well anyway.

so back to the drawing board. I am going to research if the q97 has the same problem and may ask to swap for one of them. the engineer said someone was on their 3rd screen and recommended i get a panasonic instead! then again another friend got a q7 the same time as me and has no buzzing issues. pretty irritating that they let them leave the factory like this as it was obvious the moment I turned it on.
  16. mrblister

mrblister Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm..... I own a Slovakian build October model and mine has buzzed from day 1. Bought from Currys in December I have the sound turned down to zero as my DVD is routed through my hi fi (the reviews were right, sound is pretty poor). When playing action movies and anything with a bit of ooomph then I do not have an issue. My missus however complains bitterly when playin chick flicks or has the the sound on the Tv between 20 and 30. I have to say i agree on quieter material. Anyway, I called Samsung direct (not Currys own Tech Guys) and they arranged for an approved service agent to call round. They did the job in my house and it involved the fitting of a Samsung mod, sticky pads on the heat sinks. I don`t know if they thought it might be
    acoustic resonance but it made no difference. They ordered a new power supply (apparently the power supply drives the "X and Y boards" which in turn power the screen) which was for the 42" and was of no use. However, whilst the back was off, the engineer investigated the noise. No back fitted remember so that doesn`t come into play. It is obvious the noise is not eminating from the Power supply but from the X and Y boards and this changes in pitch as the screen brightness changes. there seems to be a hot spot and i have posted some pics that i took to pinpoint the area. Could it be capacitors in this area as the coils are wrapped with heat shrink, or is there something underneath which is not visible?
    http://www.pbase.com/mrblister/image/81358601
    http://www.pbase.com/mrblister/image/81358641

My twopenneth

1. change the x and y boards......expensive for Samsung and not a guaranteed solution
    2. A bit of self help..if on the stand use heavy curtains behind to absorb the noise where possible
    3. if on the wall, most are, then use some sort of acoustic damping material behind the TV at the extreme edges to try and soak up the sound instead of reflecting it off the wall towards you.
  17. krish222

krish222 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Mr.Blister,
    Is your Buzz problem now resolved?

Cheers
    Krish
  18. mrblister

mrblister Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Krish

Buzz is no different with the pads fitted, fitment is nowhere near the noise. Had no reply from engineers, although Samsung rang back to check if engineers had fixed it. Still waiting for troubleshooting reply!!!
  19. krish222

krish222 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mr.Blister. I finally called in Dixons and they would be paying me a visit on monday the 29th Oct. Will let you guys know how it goes.