1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung PS43D490

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by wewp, Mar 24, 2011.

1. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +965
    Well we've another new owner here - picked it up yesterday and loving it. Great value for the money. I think I might try that trick of telling the tv its a D7000 and getting into the colour management system - thats a bonus I wasn't expecting as I've already got an eye1 colorimeter so I should be able to dial the image in really nice.
  2. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +965
    Some pics of the d490 in action- totally delighted with the images im getting. Taken with an iPhone so not perfect, looks better in reality.

Attached Files:

3. DazBam

DazBam New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, first off, great site, came across it for the first time when looking at reviews for a TV for my first house. I have bought the PS43D490 based on the reviews from here. I have not used it yet due to not being in my home just yet but have read so much into including the D7000 set up and also updating the firmware i have a few query's that havent been raised on this website nor the US site. I have read about all the issues with the D series TV's which all seamed to be more about the D5,6,7 and 8 TV's i have yet to find anything on the 4's ie D490. Has anyone had any issues on the new firmware? which version is everyone using? and is it still recommended to update as some people are saying otherwise with the problems reported in the D series... Any info on this would be great! thanks
  4. DazBam

DazBam New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh also, Argos are selling the SSG 31000GB 3D glasses for £19.99 a pair!!!
  5. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +965
    I'm still making my way through that very lengthy thread on Avs so haven't done anything with firmware just yet. Just watching sky tv at the minute and haven't even plugged my Bluray player in yet but no issues with mine at this point and whisper quiet too- bonus!
    Still debating whether to go into the service menu to enable the colour management system as it changes the hdmi inputs and messes up the sound (I'm running a 2.1 external sound system with the tv so no big deal if I screw the sound up)
    Once I've read the thread and asked a few questions I might bite the bullet and go change things....
  6. DazBam

DazBam New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, i just was interested in the post on the 2nd or 3rd page of this thread about the 3D not "poping out" until the firmware was updated but since all the bad posts about the d series im reluctant to do this until someone with the D490 can confirm no problems and that the update was well worth doing...
  7. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +965
    Not even a week old an I've a dead pixel :(

What's Samsungs tolerance on this? Can I get another one?
  8. DazBam

DazBam New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh no good pal! My uncle had an LG with a dead pixel after a few years and had it repaired under warranty! fingers crossed you get the same luck!
  9. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +965
    Well I just had some better luck - dead pixel is now alive and well again, how on earth that happened I don't know.
    Once I switched over from judge judy it was gone!?
    Good excuse to tell the missus we can't watch judge judy as she can break tv's!
  10. Neill

Neill Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hopefully have the firmware update coming out via a usb stick in the post as I tried downloading it to the PC and then copying it onto a MP3 player (I've used my cheapo MP3 player a load of times to move photos etc about) inserting this into the TV and doing the update through the menu but the TV just cant read it.

Received an email today after I rang Samsung technical support (not customer support) and they are saying that they've tried to ring me a couple of times because my TV has a fault!! All I asked them was a where was the game setting on the TV E-Manuel.

If anyone knows how to update the TV (in case the usb stick doesnt arrive) or if there is a game setting let me know!! Also I have reduced my colour, contrast and brightness settings down as I read if you use your TV for gaming (PS3 in my case) during the first 100 hours that you may damage the plasma screen with burn in or IR.Anyone agree this is the best way to intially protect a plasma screen?
  11. yoshi

yoshi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi every one, I recently bought the PS43D490 from a well knows retailer for £449.99 including 2 pairs of glasses. After buying the set I came across this thread about the 3D pop out. I would like to know what version of firmware is the appropriate one so the pop out is working correctly. When i go to Menu-Support-Contact Samsung on my TV I get Software version T-MSV4DEUC-1006.1,BT-G, is this the current version?

With regard to picture pre-set modes I have gone through the Picture Mode menu and can only find 3 pre-settings Dynamic, Standard and Movie. Should there be more?

I have downloaded the recommended firmware from the earlier link http://http://www.samsung.com/my/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP00&prd_ia_cd=105&prd_mdl_cd=PS43D490A1XXM&prd_mdl_name=PS43D490A1&srchword=PS43D490A1 and unzipped it to my desk top then copied both files to a USB stick but got the message no update from the TV. Am I doing something wrong or is this the fault people are talking about?

Thanks in advance for any advise that is forthcoming.
  12. franzks

franzks New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys, I've recently purchased this TV, the PS43D490 and while I am very happy about it, the only problem I have is I can't get any content to "pop out". I'm sure the 3D works though, the depth is breathtakingly amazing! I have tried A LOT of content where people really vowed that it "popped out" from their TVs. I have tinkered with the settings for hours already. I tried every viewing angle and distance I can try. Nothing just seems to pop out. After reading this thread I found out that upgrading the firmware might help. I downloaded the latest ones (dated Jan 12, 2012) from Samsung's site and I got a "Firmware.exe" file. When I extracted it I got 2 folders T-MST4DAAC and T-MSV4DAAC. I copied both to my flash drive but the TV said "No file available to upgrade" I tried different USB sticks but to no avail. The folders are at the root of the drive. I tried copying its contents to the root but still no luck. Any ideas anyone? Thanks!
  13. Neill

Neill Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Franzks if you go into the menu on your TV and go to the "Support" sub menu then go to "Contact Samsung" menu and if your set has the T-MSV4DEUC-1006.1, BT-G code under "Product Information" then this is the most up to date firmware version available.

I spoke to Samsung technical support about two weeks ago about this and they said my set should be up to date. They are helpful and polite but as always the language barrier can be very frustrating at times especially when you have a slightly technical query!! They told me there was no Game setting on the TV which is wrong but I dont think the call centre employee knew what I was even asking. Its a super TV though. Hope this answers your query.:thumbsup:
  14. Neill

Neill Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yoshi I meant to say that there is only the three picture settings available initially. You only get "Entertain" when yiu hook your TV up as a computer monitor. As above Yoshi your TV's firmware is up to date also. Hope this helps.
  15. yoshi

yoshi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks
  16. franzks

franzks New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Neill: I have the T-MSV4DAAC-1004. I guess it's also the latest firmware for my region?
  17. Neill

Neill Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Franzks

I wouldnt claim to be any type of expert and I am not sure if Samsung operate regional firmware updates (although its likely) but you should definitely contact Samsung on the contact details that are provided on the same page that you got the version of the firmware that your TV has. Let me know how you get on as I am interested to know myself if your TV is up to date.:smashin:
  18. telepathy

telepathy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    pany p42u30
    or
    sam 43d490
    which one have best input lag?
  19. justlog

justlog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    +1
    just for 43D490 :D
    And how is this TV for Gaming(PS3) and watching HD movies?(and 3D)
  20. Neill

Neill Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Justlog

I bought this TV primarily for gaming on the PS3 and I have to say its good. Batman Arkham City in 3D is incredible. The darkness levels take some time to get used to compared to LCD but as with eveything if you know what you're doing you can adjust accordingly. I use the gamer setting on the TV as I think this is supposed to help stop burn in onto the screen. Its a good buy for the money.:thumbsup:
  21. justlog

justlog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sounds awesome man!
    Listen Ive been searching for a video of this TV for a very LOOONG time. If you got a camera can you just give me a quick look of how the TV in gaming?(quality and input lag) :lease:
    Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:
  22. zenithtime

zenithtime New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    just watched pirates of Caribbean , didn't look like to much 3d,
    can anyone help me
  23. kopite76

kopite76 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed some people having trouble uploading the firmware to there tv. Just so you know your flash drive has to be formatted to FAT32 to do this i beleive
  24. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +965
    Have you did yours kopite?
  25. metaleonid

metaleonid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Does anyone here currently own the model Samsung PS43D490? I am in US and I wanted to buy a 3d multi-system TV. But I can't find the specs whether it can handle 1080/60i, 1080/60p for NTSC and 1080/50i, 1080/60p for PAL. Thanks.
  26. alexander agyek

alexander agyek New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my self Samsung Ps43d490. And i can access dtv. It is only hooked on to anlog then auto tuning. How can i tune to DVB(freeview)? need ur Help guys.
  27. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Type 001 in the remote should take you to dtv. The auto tune should pick up both analogue & digital channels