Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung plasma TV problem sound but no picture

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by laz4456, Dec 27, 2009.

1. laz4456

laz4456 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My 2 year old plasma TV has suddenly got no picture but the sound is OK. Son was playing PS3 for five hours and the screen went black. Any advice on what could be wrong?
  2. brian1825

brian1825 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

I will be interested to hear what has caused this.

I must have been tempting fate by ordering a new Plasma as my 2 and half year old Samsung has just experienced this problem after about 35 mins viewing.

Once it had been switched off and back on a good bit later it seemed ok.

I have read online somewhere that a faulty PSU may be to blame but not sure yet.

Brian
  3. laz4456

laz4456 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to a tv engineer this morning and they mentioned a PSU but no one can look at it until tomorrow. if it is the PSU they said it would cost about £350. Also complained to Samsung who just said we should have taken out the extended warranty! I will let you know what happens.

James
  4. brian1825

brian1825 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

I would be interested to learn why a TV which cost upwards of a £1000 two years ago should have a main part like a PSU fail. I would strongly suggest TV not fit for purpose and Samsung should foot bill for repair.

The basic 12month warranty doesn't matter.

JVC came good with a new TV for my father-in-law when the main board of his TV failed and was beyong economical repair when only 18 months or so old.

Please update me how you get on.

Cheers, Brian
  5. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,603
    PSU Failure is a very common problem with Samsung TV's (and various other electrical items like Thomson Sky Boxes that use Samsung PSU's). They usally fail around the 2 year mark but of course some can last longer. The reason is the quality of the components used especially with regard to capacitors, they use the cheapest which can be found :thumbsdow & unfortunately the results are evident. Companies like Panasonic & Sony use high quality ones (Panasonic make their own) & subsequently they usually last many years.

The silly part is that capacitors are very cheap items anyway but I guess when churning out thousands of sets it adds up & as long as it gets through the warranty period :devil:

The price for a repair is ridiculous & if you can find a friendly electronics shop they should be able to replace the offending capacitors for a fraction of the price quoted providing it has not caused any further damage to other components :)
  6. laz4456

laz4456 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday i took the tv to a local repair man and he has not yet said what is wrong with it but he did say there's no way to be sure until he takes it apart. He also said it could be something cheap. So we are still waiting to hear.
    Thanks for all the advice
  7. brian1825

brian1825 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

I have had a search online and it is well documented about the Samsung PSUs and the main reason being capacitors.

THere are also various youtube clips of how others have repaired their own PSUs. I have today spoken to an auto electrician who is very handy with a solder gun and is prepared to solder the new capacitors if I can get them.

As this is a spare TV not used often, it will be into the new year before I get the Samsung plasma off the wall and take the PSU out to check.

Worth a try anyhow as well as a letter to Samsung re goods not being fit for purpose as they shouldn't fail so soon on a TV that cost £1000 2 and half years ago.

Brian