Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Plasma Problem - Blue/Red Smudge and Ghosting

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MrSmiley, Mar 2, 2009.

1. MrSmiley

MrSmiley Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,191
    Evening all,

Well, I've had my Samsung about 2 years now (PS42HD) and have been very happy with it.. Until last night that is.

It's hard for me to explain so the pics will say it all..

I'm getting a blue/red ghost/smudge all over the screen, usually in lines or blocks. It's only noticeable on dark scenes and more using the xbox. I do also see this with the sky box aswell. This problem has only just started to happen. I have tried changing my settings and the problem is still there.

Please take a look at my pics and advise what the problem could be..

All your help is much appreciated guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:(
  2. Bildi

Bildi Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Sadly, I think the TV is going to need repairs.
  3. MrSmiley

MrSmiley Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,191
    Yeah thought as much. Well i'm now glad that i took out the extended warranty. I'll give them a ring this morning and will update this thread should anyone else have this problem in future. Has anyone else had this problem or know what it is thats causing it? Cheers.
  4. MrSmiley

MrSmiley Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,191
    **Double Post.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  5. MrSmiley

MrSmiley Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,191
    Just rang up and hopefully got someone coming in the next couple of days.

I'll update here when I find out what the problem is.

Has nobody else had this same problem with their Samsung Plasma before? Can find some info on the net but without pics it's hard to pinpoint if it's the same problem.

Cheers
  6. Bildi

Bildi Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I have had similar problems with a Samsung plasma. It would get fizzing bright blue pixels in the lower left corner. They "fixed" it by replacing the X and Y boards which then introduced a new problem where I would get colour blocks instead of a smooth gradient, kind of like a monitor set to 256 colours. These appeared over about 1/3 of the screen.

They replaced the main board which didn't fix it, then they replaced the panel itself which finally fixed the problem (and few others that they created when they first "fixed" it).

Most of the problems I've read about on Samsung plasmas typically revolve around blue or red dancing pixels in various forms.
  7. MrSmiley

MrSmiley Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,191
    Thanks again Bildi,

At least now I know what I can expect.

Hopefully they'll just replace the whole panel then and just be done with it. Knowing my luck though, I'll have the whole trial and error carp.

There coming tomorrow so I'll see what they try and fob me off with.

:)
  8. MrSmiley

MrSmiley Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,191
    Afternoon,

I've had my Plasma picked up now.

They have ordered Z & Y main boards to replace in the TV and will take a week just for the parts :(

Hopefully this will fix the problem but I'm not too confident.

What do the Z & Y boards do and why would they just go etc, can anybody enlighten me?

Ta

Mike:cool:
  9. MrSmiley

MrSmiley Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,191
    TV has been written off... Happy as I can get a new one now.

They couldn't tell me what the problem was in the end.

Hope this thread may be of use to anyone else having problems in the future.

:)
  10. Bildi

Bildi Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I am only guessing, but from my experience in having my TV repaired, the service agents have no idea what causes some problems so replace those two minor boards first because maybe they're the cheapest and it fixes most problems.

Other than that I think the only other modules are the main board, screen, and power supply. In mine they started with the X & Y boards, then replaced the main board, and then the screen. So the only thing original in mine is the case and power supply I think.

I'm glad to hear you got such a good turn around - yours was about three months quicker than mine so a good service agent seems to make all the difference!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. MrSmiley

MrSmiley Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,191
    Thanks Bildi,

And this was all from Littlewoods Extra cover. They just rang and said the TV's been written off, you've got x amount to spend again. :thumbsup: