Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung nc10 drive partitions

Discussion in 'Laptops & Netbooks' started by shaduf, Dec 18, 2008.

1. shaduf

shaduf Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Just got my Samsung NC10. So far, so good. But just a couple of queries.

As you all know the hard drive is partitioned into two approx 70GB partitions with Drive D containing the Restore software.
    Drive D shows 802 mb used and 71.2 mb free.
    Properties shows nothing listed in the Drive D so I assume the security files are hidden from view. Could someone confirm this? Are they within that 802 mb?
    Can I use Drive D in exactly the same way as Drive C and copy files to and from it?

It seems strange to have partitioned the drive in such an uneconomical way.

Is it straight forward to repartition to “X” space for D where “X” is the room needed by the restore software (plus a bit for safety) and the rest for Drive “C” ?
    What size would you recommend for "x"?

Thanks in anticipation.

Shaduf

PS Screen text is a lot better having set it to cleartype.
  2. Jefft

Jefft Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Part of the initial setup procedure is to set the partion sizes. How did you miss this?
  3. shaduf

shaduf Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I don't know how, I certainly wasn't in a hurry. I don't remember seeing it on the screen. I read the installation instructions that came with the PC but I have since seen the reference to the partitions in the booklet on the Recovery Solution.
    I presume I did not expect to have to read a booklet called "Using Samsung Recovery Solution" when doing an installation. Surely, something so important should have been in the document called "Installation Guide".
    Still, spilt milk now. I do know now that I am not the first to have done this.

It appears I can move files between the C and D drives so
    no major problems but would like to tidy the situation if it is not too difficult. I am a little apprehensive about inadvertently deleting the Recovery software but I suppose it would not be life threatening if, at a later date, I had to reformat the drive, repartition it and reloaded XP from the supplied disc?

Any suggestions? Thanks anyway.

Shaduf
  4. Err1

Err1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I too missed the configuration screen but oh welll!

as for D: treat D: as you would C:. ie it is simply another drive that you can use.

There is another hidden partition but that's used for other system stuff (restore me thinks) - so no worries.

THe only pain about having D: is that sometimes, you run out of space on C: to install windows stuff etc.... but this shouldn't be a prob. Generally, I install programs etc... on C: and keep my data on D:.

if you know what you're doing then you can delete the D: partition and have just one partition C: (c140Gb) using some 3rd party s/w...

Hope this helps.
  5. martwho

martwho Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Second that, its defo part of the setup! Mine is set to 30 Gig C: and the rest for D: dont know if the restore disc will let you correct this?
  6. runam0k

runam0k Active Member

Ratings:
    +221
  7. rooty

rooty Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought one at the weekend and not knowing much about setting up PCs just accepted the default - if I'm going to change the partition sizes, is it better to do this now, while it's new and the drive isn't full of data?
  8. planetse

planetse Member

Ratings:
    +130
    Most probably best to reformat a fresh and not split the HDD into the 3 partitions. When I first got mine (After using Notebooks for years) decided maybe using “D” as a back up mite be a good idea, then after doing it decided it was ridicules because I still back all my work up on an external HDD.

Reformatted and stuck every thing back onto “C” using the discs provided. Call me old fashioned but what is the point of a back up on the same drive if the drive go’s belly up? With the price of external HDD’s these days backing up regular onto one of these is the norm.
  9. rooty

rooty Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do I need to bother? Presumably I can use the D drive as more storage and as it's a netbook I'll be unlikely ever to challenge the 80 gig on half of it never mind need the full 160?
  10. runam0k

runam0k Active Member

Ratings:
    +221
    No point backing up to a separate partition. The advantage of having two partitions is you can put all your personal data (My Documents folder, etc) onto a separate partition.

I would move My Docs to D and generally use D to store all your personal data. Keep Windows on C and install any programs on C. That way you can, if need be, do a fresh install of Windows (on C) without risking any of your personal data (on D).
  11. planetse

planetse Member

Ratings:
    +130
    I think you missed my point a little. I cannot see the sense in backing anything up on the same hard drive nothing to do with partitions. If the hard drive fails then you loos every thing on the drive, does not mater how many partitions there are on it.

Backing up means putting the date on a completely separate drive, backing up on a separate partition will only keep you safe if a system re-install is required.

I normally until this silly installation tool Samsung have put on the NC10 always kept all my HDD’s as one large partition, and run a network linked 1tb external HDD for auto and manual back ups of all my work.

Adopt the “KISS” attitude to computing and stay safe.
  12. runam0k

runam0k Active Member

Ratings:
    +221
    I was agreeing with you; backing-up data to the same HDD is daft.

That doesn't mean having two partitions is daft. One partition for data is a good idea IMO.
  13. KiNeL

KiNeL Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I'm in exactly the same position with the exception that mine had the OS been installed before I got it, a demo model from Dixons and got it for a miserly £268 :thumbsup:

I've just done a full restore from the hidden partition and unfortunately it's still come back as 70gb, 50/50 is such stupid partitioning IMO. Who needs a 70gb primary drive, not me for sure.

Luckily I have Partition Magic and that has done the biz. Now got a 20gb C:\ and can re-partition the remainder to my needs.

PS: I previously created an image of C:\ with Acronis so could restore that to the reduced drive if I wished but I think in this case I'll start over, only had the machine for 2 days so nothing on it yet.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009