Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LED TV external speakers advice

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by vicrussell, Aug 21, 2011.

1. vicrussell

vicrussell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Samsung UE32C6510 (white) LED TV. I want to get better sound and need some powered speakers with optical input. A small HiFi unit would do I suppose but I want something that would look good with the white TV; nothing black if possible. I use a Logitech Horizon controller which would be programmed to turn on the speaker (HiFi) system when I turn on the TV.
    Any ideas or advice here please? I am in the UK
    Vic
  2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,757
    What is your budget?

Budget more than anything will direct our recommendations.

There are few stereo audio amps that have a direct Opitical/Coaxil digital input. Few, but not none. Of the stereo amps I have think of that do have optical inputs, the price range is about £300 to £700. The speakers, in most cases would be equal to double the cost of the amp.

However, your insistence on White very much limits your speaker choices. So, is your entire room solid white? What about the TV stand, end tables, coffee table, other furniture? Just because the TV is white doesn't mean the Speakers have to be white.

Again, budget more than anything will both direct and limit your choices, so let's start with that.

Steve/bluewizard
  3. vicrussell

vicrussell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I suppose I mean "not black" rather than "white". I was not looking for anything like the prices you mention. I was hoping to use a "Pure Legato (CD-40)" unit I have but it has "optical out" rather than "optical in". I could use the headphone out I suppose but I think that would be a little clumsy and not very controllable. I am suprised that it is so difficult to find something that can substitute for the small TV speakers.
  4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,757
    We still need a direct statement of budget.

Quick and easy would be Active Speakers (speaker with built-in amps) connected to the headphone out. The headphone out will respond to the TVs volume control, and can therefore control the active speakers.

A good set of bookshelf Active Speakers would run in the £250 to £300/pr range, though of course you can spend subtantially more.

And while you can spend substantially less, I don't recommend it, especially if you want quality full range sound.

Now if you simply want something a little better than your TV speakers, smaller cheaper Active speaker are an option.

If the budget can go closer to £300, perhaps a trace more, then there are several nice amps, and some good speakers, that would do the job for you.

But, with only an optical/coaxial digital audio out on your TV, there are few amps that can take that input. There are some AV amps, but you would viturally be buying the cheapest of the cheap.

There is one Active speaker from Behringer that does have a optical input. Let's see if I can find it on Google -

Behringer MS40 - Google Search

BEHRINGER: MS40

But, the level of the Digital Audio Out from the TV is FIXED, it doesn't change with changes to the TV volume control. So you would have no remote control of the volume with this speaker.

If your TV does have a Headphone out, then if you budget is very modest, consider the Audioengine A2 -

Audioengine A2 - Google Search

Also notice the Audioengine are available in wood finish and WHITE.

Again, there is a limit to how low your budget can go, and with out a direct statement of that budget, we are just stabbing in the dark.

Steve/bluewizard
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  5. aragorn_84

aragorn_84 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Surely with a limited budget the sensible thing is to buy used?

You shouldnt have much trouble picking up an AV amp and some half way decent speakers for £300 or less. I'm sure i saw an Onkyo 505 sell in the classifieds on here recently for about £80 for example.

I've just baught myself some B&W 602's and a Onkyo 607 from ebay for about £350 delivered, and i dont think you'd even come close to equipment that good for £350 new.
  6. vicrussell

vicrussell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for the comprehensive feedback. It is really useful and I will probably act on it. I apologise for not getting back to this sooner but events overtook me. :)
  7. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,631
    Depending on what you want, you could also look at soundbars & small 2.1 systems.