Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LE40R87BDX/XEU wont switch on

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by billrobo, Aug 10, 2010.

1. billrobo

billrobo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    Come to put the tv on this morning and it wont switch on!:mad:
    First thing this morning, I used the sky remote to turn the tv on then pressed the sky button to turn that on, then all that keeps happening is the tv keeps making the noise to turn on but after about 5-7 secs it makes the noise again, in that time nothing happens to the tv.

To sum it up it just keeps making the switching on sound time after time.

Has anyone got any ideas please, it not under warranty (I dont think) cant find the manual and the recipt:mad:

Is there anyone in the North Wales area that I can take it to for fixing.:lease:
    Thanks for all your kind repiplies.
    Bill
  2. billrobo

billrobo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any thoughts anyone??
    Thx
  3. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,567
    Faulty capacitors on the power supply panel have been known to give those symptoms.
    Check your local paper for TV repair shops.
  4. billrobo

billrobo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thx JC
  5. radioredcat

radioredcat Member

Ratings:
    +75
  6. billrobo

billrobo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    radioredcat you are the *CUT* man
    Thanks
    Thanks
    I have nor red all the posts but it sounds exactly like the prob I have,
    rang samsung repair guys today, closest to me, girl called barbra was so help full, she said samsung are doing a good will repair for this fault, I just need to ring them tomoz to sot it out

thx again redcat

Cheers Bill

Mod Comment: Careful - bypassing the swear filter can award infractions.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2010
  7. radioredcat

radioredcat Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Your welcome,I am glad you got a result.

andy
  8. oakster847

oakster847 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Had problem with my samsung TV making a buzzing noise then crackling when swictched off. This lasted less then a week then went to turn on and tv would not come on.
    TV switch started to click on/off every couple of seconds but would not display picture.
    As with other peoples models of the same I thought its a fault with those capacitors.
    I had seen a thread on another site with telephone number to ring as samsung had repaired some sets for free.
    Rang samsung on 01932 454358 on 8/9/10 and spoke with representative. Explained fault and had to give serial number of set and was told that as long as that was the problem an engineer would repair the fault for FREE. I was informed I would be contacted within 3 days.
    Half an hour later I was contacted by the repair company who have arranged to repair it on site next day.
    Worth ringing when your model suffers this problem.:thumbsup:
  9. Moonmonkey51

Moonmonkey51 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your post oakster847 my TV is 5 years old and has just started with the same problems of not powering up LED light flashing with a clicking sound, I have just called Samsung and they are sending an engineer out to repair the fault FOC.
  10. annji

annji Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you to all threads relating to my samsung lcd tv! I fixed the switching off/on and crackling with new 16v doodads. But remaining problem still there. When the crackling noise was happening I was having to re tune tv every time I switched it on, it was like it 'forgot'. Cables work on other tv's. My samsung now won't recognise sky cable, arial cable or freeview box cable (would be happy with just one working!). Am thinking it's going to be a board that needs replacing now but which one? the one with the arial input on? What's it called? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I can't go to samsung now where I've fixed power issue myself. I've started so i'll finish, can anyone help?
  11. Oxie

Oxie Member

Ratings:
    +18
    The memory sounds to be corrupt
    Check the options table in the service menu.
    Ready must be OFF in the Option table and
    Tuner=AUTO, tuner SEMCO=10, and tuner ALPS=13 in Adjust.
    To enter "Service Mode" Press the remote -control keys in this sequence :
    Power OFF - MUTE - MENU - Power On
  12. Newklear

Newklear Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As i've had the same problem as the author, i thought i could use this thread instead of creating a new one.

Our TV also had the problem with not being able to switch on and when we looked at the back we saw two faulty capacitors that had blown up.

We fixed the switch-on problem by changing the capacitors and it is now switching on as normal, but now the picture is really weird instead.

The colors are not quite as good as they used to be, and the TV doesnt seem to be able to update the picture fast enough, as we can clearly see "slow-motion" effects. I can't find the right words for it, but it looks like the previous frames still lies there when the new frames are presented unto the screen. If we watch a movie or series and they change scene real quick, we can see the outlining of the objects from the previous scene for example.

When we changed the capacitors i bought the same ones as the guy in that other thread that was linked previously, the "1000uf 10v" ones.
    The repair guy that did the changing for us said that those were too weak though, that the old ones that had blown up were stronger, "2200 uf..." something.

So he took some spare ones he had and put those in instead of the ones we had bought.

So... Now we can switch on the TV, but we can barely watch it without getting a headache, anyone knows what the problem could be and how we can fix it?

EDIT: I live in sweden btw, if that might be the reason why we would need stronger capacitors due to a higher voltage output in our wall sockets?
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  13. Newklear

Newklear Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is no one answering because you don't know, or because you feel the question has been answered already?

We could really use some help with the issue, so please go ahead and post a reply!
  14. wadclip

wadclip Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ok people, I do loads of these every month.

First thing to do with the click of death is replace all the 1000uf 16v capacitors on the PSU with 1000uf 25v,(TOP RIGHT) this is why they go faulty due to the low voltage of the originals.

Once that has been completed some people still find it is clicking or has some other issues with picture etc....:oops:

The way around this is to short the EEPROM IC this is located on the underside of the main AV BOARD (TOP LEFT) IC1803.
    Pin 1 is identified by the small white arrow, you need to short pins 5 & 6 for about 5 seconds while switching the tv on, this will fully reset the EEPROM IC and is different than a factory reset. Dont worry if it does not do it first time, just repeat the process until the tv kicks into life.

Once it fires up all should be OK,

SYMPTOMS of a faulty eeprom.

1. NO FREEVIEW
    2. NEGATIVE PICTURE IN DYNAMIC
    3. DISTORTED COLOURS

Blank eeproms are available at LittleDiode Ltd. cheaply, no need to program they set them selfs up but you need to be good with an iorn as these are sm ( surface mounted, VERY SMALL )

Hope this helps a few people?? im always here to answer questions on all Samsungs
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Newklear

Newklear Member

Ratings:
    +0
    By shorting, do you mean take a screwdriver (for example) and connect the two pins to each other?

And should i be doing this while turning on the TV, no risk of getting shocked involved..?

Also, we only changed the capacitors that had exploded, not all of them. Didn't change them to ones with the same values as you said either, but i guess this is because of the reason i mentioned in my previous post?

And to be clear, the TV starts up fine, thats not the problem, the problem is the strange "slowmotion" effects...
  16. wadclip

wadclip Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Yes short them out while turning on the tv, obviously make sure the main av board is not touching the psu.

Also check all your settings in the service menu. this took me ages to find out but here they are, these cure the no freeview / dynamic and game picture modes ect...... you must also check that the replaced caps in the power supply are as i stated in the above comment, not so much the voltage but the uf MUST be the same
  17. wadclip

wadclip Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I need an email address or you can PM me for the service settings
  18. wadclip

wadclip Member

Ratings:
    +1
    services setting for the sammy 87/88bdx

Attached Files:

19. Curly99

Curly99 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,053
    Is this not the problem that Samsung will fix for free even if the TV is out of warranty as it's a known problem, worth giving Samsung a call?
  20. Newklear

Newklear Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That would be great, though there are no repair shops close to where we live, so i'm not sure it would work :(

So, the main board and the PSU board shouldnt be connected to each other..?

And about the caps, we didn't change them to the ones you talked about, ours had a higher uf, 2200 instead of 1000, i think. But that's because the ones that were in before we changed were 2200, and the repair guy that helped us told us to use the 2200 ones instead.

And i'm guessing we need stronger caps in sweden compared to england due to a higher voltage output in our sockets?

FYI, i'm not so very good with all these technical terms, hence my difficulties with explaining the problems :S

EDIT: I tried several times to enter the "Service Mode" by pressing the remote-control keys in the sequence Oxie mentioned: Power OFF - MUTE - MENU - Power On, but it didnt work...
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  21. wadclip

wadclip Member

Ratings:
    +1
    To enter the service settings....... put the tv into standby then on the remote press the following in order...... INFO....MENU.....MUTE....POWER ON This will take you to the service menu where you then can set everything up.
  22. johno3245

johno3245 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just fixed my Samsung LE40R87 found a kit on ebay with instructions on how to fit the caps worked a treat tv now fully working no more clicking!!
  23. Preppen

Preppen Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks man! I was really dissapointed when the TV didn't work after replacing all the capacitors. But after shorting the IC cicuit about ten times the TV suddently went silent (clicking stopped) and I was able to turn it on via the remote. :thumbsup:
    Thanks again and best regards.
  24. LightsOut

LightsOut Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I have the same problem and I'm stuck and would really appreciate some help.

The original problem is the same as everyone else's (I have a LE40R86 from 2008). I had two bulging caps, which I replaced. Powering on again I still had the click with no change. I found the eprom and soldered wires to pin 5 & 6, powered on and then broke the short. Clicking is gone and I have a solid red standby light. Yei, progress!

I press the info-menu-mute-power sequence (the blue light underneath the tv flashes with each button press). After the power button press, the blue light underneath blinks 5-6 times, then there's one click and then… nothing. Just the solid red standby light. At no point do I get backlight.

Any recommendations on where I go from here? Should I change more capacitors (these were the only ones that looked bad to me) or should I look to replace the eprom?

(attached is my after-picture, the two big ones are the new ones. Originals were 2200uF 10V and the new ones are 2200uF 16V.)

Attached Files:

25. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,567
    This.
  26. Preppen

Preppen Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, sorry to hear your TV is dead.
    I'm no expert at this, but what I did was to replace all the capacitors in that area on the power board, I think there were two types. This didn't work but then I found wadclips tip and tried shorting the EEPROM, as you said you also tried. But neither this worked at once, I had to switch the power ten to fifteen times before it came on. I was ready to give up when it suddenly woke up!
    The TV died once more shortly after, going back to the same relay clicking. :( But I repeated the same procedure and it has worked ever since.
    I know it sounds like a lucky shot, but I hope it can help you.
    Good luck!
  27. LightsOut

LightsOut Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips! I tried shorting it a few times more without any luck, so then I ordered a new EEPROM. I got it today and got to work. I'm pretty much a newb to soldering, but I managed to both get the old one off and the new on eventually. Thought it looked pretty decent too, so I put everything together and powered up.

Faint click and the TV turns on! Just as I'm dancing my victory dance though, it turns back off again. And then on again by itself, it's on for about 30s, and then off again. Repeat. I try starting with the service menu sequence but same thing, while the service menu is open it goes to standby after about 30s and then on again. Tried with no input, with HDMI and with the antenna. No change.

Any idea on what could be wrong? It's definitely not unthinkable that I botched the soldering somehow... I'm really hoping that's not the case though.

Could it be some setting or initialization needed for the EEPROM that causes it to turn off? Really grateful for help.
  28. Preppen

Preppen Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry, but you're now on what for me is unexplored territory.
    But you should get points for trying! :thumbsup:
    Oh, and I forgot to tell you that I had pins 5 and 6 shorted when turning the power on. I actually had to switch the power with my foot since my hands were occupied.
  29. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,567
    Sorry, but it probably is the case.
    Do you have it fitted the correct way round?
    Check for a solder splash shorting out some of the pins or surrounding components.
    Check you haven't "lifted" the print and check the print for continuinity with an ohmeter.
    Examine your work with a strong magnifying glass and a good light.
  30. LightsOut

LightsOut Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks JayCee, I did a thorough check of it and to my (untrained eye) it looked good, or eh, OK at least :p

I gave up eventually and handed it in to the TV repair shop this morning. They called and told me I had the wrong EEPROM... apparently the one I had was for the version with a built in cable box, and mine was some pretty rare variant of the same model without it. D'oh!

Oh well, advice to any other fellow newbs attempting this repair: It can definitely be done, just make sure you get the correct parts :)