Samsung LE40R73BD making clicking noise and won't power on

I've got a quote of £50 for someone to do a report.
Is that reasonable do you think?

when i got mine done it cost £180 that inc pick up & return parts labour & inspection fee all in one, what currys done was i sent the quote to them they then sent a chq to the shop job done :smashin:

Can i just say a big thank you for your advise. I went to Maplins and purchased the parts for £1.80 as advised and fitted them and it has saved me a total of £120.00+Parts by a Tv repair company close to my home town. Many thanks again...

Hi, it is most probably capacitors in the power supply, I wrote a post here Clicking relay in Samsung TV - instructions on how to fix by replacing capacitors | Earth Info
which details how identify if this is the problem, and then how to change them yourself.

you my friend are a legend :) have some rep

i replaced all the 1000u 10v capacitors and works perfectly, cost me £1.60 for the fix in the end, how awesome

i couldn't get 10v capacitors so i used 16v ones, they should work better as the tv apparently runs around 14v

many thanks to all who contributed

Getting the costs of the repair met by Dixons. Telly fixed and returned. :)

I to have had my money back from Currys :)they made a payment into our bank account. Many thanks to Grumpy for all your help, its great to know there are some honest people out there willing to help.

With ref to my earlier postings I have now changed 4 of the faulty capacitors to 1000uhf 25v, the tv switches on fine now but there now seems to be a problem with viewing the tv in picture mode:movie, see attached photo. Any ideas? All but 1 capacitor are the same voltage now, there is 1 small capacitor that is a 220uhf which has not been changed and I am unsure of the voltage, would/could this be an issue as I have changed other capacitors to higher voltage?

Picture quality is fine on all other settings

Attachments

• DSCF0953.jpg
    DSCF0953.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 478
ok...so got the independant report for £50, confirms the fault.

report set to comet who are refusing to budge until i pay them £30 for their engineer to do a report :mad:

rang trading standards who will be in contact with me re this next week.

grrrrrr where do i stand? am i gonna have to fork out another 30 squid? :eek:

Dont see why you should have to fork out more money when you have a report by an independant person.

Comet trying to make a few extra quid.

ok...so got the independant report for £50, confirms the fault.

report set to comet who are refusing to budge until i pay them £30 for their engineer to do a report :mad:

rang trading standards who will be in contact with me re this next week.

grrrrrr where do i stand? am i gonna have to fork out another 30 squid? :eek:

Wait for TS.

They will confirm Comet are entitled to look at it. They can't charge though.

Small Claims Court if necessary.

With ref to my earlier postings I have now changed 4 of the faulty capacitors to 1000uhf 25v, the tv switches on fine now but there now seems to be a problem with viewing the tv in picture mode:movie, see attached photo. Any ideas? All but 1 capacitor are the same voltage now, there is 1 small capacitor that is a 220uhf which has not been changed and I am unsure of the voltage, would/could this be an issue as I have changed other capacitors to higher voltage?

Picture quality is fine on all other settings

Where are all the experts now?

:rolleyes:

That's not the power supply fella. It's a fault on the main board but you should be able to live with it - just don't use that mode!

Comet will back down with one of your local TS departments template letters.

If you have to sue, it can be done online here. It's not much... the costs are in there and you can add costs.

My 46 inch Samsung has been clicking 5-10 times before turning on. Opened it up the other day and sure enough, the 10v caps were raised up on top. Couldn't find 10v caps, so replaced them with 25v. Replace the 25v caps with new ones just for good measure and also replaced the 3 47uf caps. Works like new now. :thumbsup:

Just found this thread and my Samsung is slowly dying i feel, it clicks gives me a quater grey screen i turn it off then on the Tv comes on, when the actors are walking around they leave a trail though so i have a very bad picture, but also when i select 'Movie' from the menu the picture is unwatchable.

The TV will be 2yrs old next month, but i kept the receip up until a few weeks back the threw it away, is there anything i can do without the receipt?

I took the back of the TV and noticed 3 capacitors have bulging tops, on one side of the capacitor is says :

V3A

On the other side it says :

10v
1000uf
105*c (m)

Any help appreciated

Thanks

My Samsung is made in 2007 now 2 years old GO figure, I did not buy the extendend Warrenteeeee For $
I am thankfull for AVForums and all of you folks that share info to all of us.... You can Mouser Electronics on line I bought 3 of the 10V 1000uf 105c caps and 3 of the 25V 1000uf 105c should have got 4 of these... it's the 10V ones that are bad in mine they're 3 of them and 4 of the 25v just thought I would replace all of them since it's apart.... here is a picture of the Caps blue ones are coils they don't normaly go bad.. Guess what only $1.50 thats it to fix and a soldering iron philips screw driver and a little patience. Don't forget these are polorized caps put em in the way you took em out

Attachments

• tv 001.jpg
    tv 001.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 2,648
Last edited:
Just found this thread thankfully, my Le40 has been dead for some months now and got a new telly but rather than bin it i thought i would see if there was anyone else with this issue, after going to maplins and spending less than £3 on replacement capacitors i removed the old ones and soldered in the new ones. Sammy switched on first time!!! :cool: whoever started this thread thank you very much the links within have helped no end and saved the telly from hitting the rubbish, 3 year old now has a dedicated telly to play Wii on :thumbsup:

i have 2 of these tv's one about 3yrs old and one about 30mths. The 3 yr old has just started with the power up problem has described. Oddly this tv was bought to replace an old Grundig that did the same. The Samaungs were bought from Empire Direct so there is little chance of getting the repair free so I will follow your link and have a go myself. It will be good practise for when the 2nd one goes.
Cheers and thanks, I'll let you know the result.

We bought this TV from Currys in February 2008, so it's only 22 months old and a few weeks ago it started clicking every time we tried to switch it on. After a minute or so it came on and worked ok until we switched it off again. Then it started switching itself back on again, usually after around 20 minutes. We thought we had a poltergeist!

So I went on the net and discovered this was a common fault. Being an Electronics Engineer anyway, and not having taken out the extended warranty I decided to try and fix it myself. I read about the faulty capacitors, obtained some, and watched the very helpful video on youtube. Then on Saturday I took the back off my TV and found the faulty capacitors but unfortunately they were different.

I expected 4 capacitors of value 1000 mfd but found the following all of which were faulty.

-CM853 and CM852 were 2200mfd / 10v 105 deg C.
-CM876 and CM880 were 1000mfd / 25v 105 deg C.

There was no metal cover over the power board and so I guess this has been done away with to improve ventilation.
The capacitors are also larger in capacity than the 1000 mfd type but obviously they still fail in less than 2 years. They're made in S. Korea by a company called Samwha but I've never heard of this manufacturer before.

Our TV is version AC07, type TU40E0 from labels on the back cover. Anyway I fitted what I hope to be a better type made by Panasonic (only time will tell) and both the problems are now fixed.

Electrolytic capacitors like this are notorious for causing problems when they fail in power supplies, but they should last at least 10 years in normal use, not less than 2. If they don't they are of poor quality or the wrong type for their purpose. By type they come in different forms from standard to high frequency, low impedance types for quality power supplies. Someone's been skimping here and tried to save a few pennies on components which is costing us a fortune in repairs. I've repaired hundreds of electronic boards over the years and come across this use of under-rated components quite often.

As a final note with the TV we also bought the Samsung Home cinema model HTX-30. We hardly used it but after 14 months it showed "Protection" error on the display and stopped working. This is another common problem and it appears it can only be fixed by Samsung, although some owners have been able to fix this by replacing blown capacitors on the amplifier board. Our capacitors are okay so for now it's staying broken. Obviously whoever is in charge of choosing capacitors at samsung is hopeless.

These 2 items plus the stand cost us £899 and we didn't take extended warranty because for this price it should last alot longer. I will be complaining about this to Samsung by letter shortly but guess they'll just shrug it off. My last TV was a Toshiba which we gave away when we bought this and we had 7 years of trouble free viewing. In fact it's still working now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom