Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LE40F86BD Auto on/off problem

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Br3nt, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Br3nt

Br3nt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased the LE40F86BD, firstly very impressed with the PQ, loving HD DVD images on it. Problem I have is it keeps switching itself on and off randomly. Initialy I thought this was an environment problem as I had it located on the floor as I was in the process of re-decorating, the on/off seemed to be in time with walking on the floorboards and vibrations. At the weekend I wall mounted the display and thought the issue was resolved. Well, I returned home last night to find it had again switched itself on and whilst watching TV the on/off in succession happened. Does it need to be returnd or is this a problem with settings etc?

Any and all help appreciated.

Regards,

B
  2. mcjibba

mcjibba Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Does it just go into standby?

What have you got connected and how? Sometimes HDMI device may send signal to the LCD and cause it to turn off.
  3. Br3nt

Br3nt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    mcjibba, thanks for the reply. Yes, sometimes into standby and stays there, other times it comes quickly back on. I thought it may be link to the touch sensitive front button, it seemed to react to jumping on the floorboards (seriously). I only have my HTPC connected, this is DVI-HDMI to HDMI 2 with a sperate audio feed. I had'nt suspected this as I am convinced the PC was off durring the day yesterday. It's a place to start and I will test with my 360.

Ta

B
  4. mcjibba

mcjibba Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Has your LCD had a firmware update over last 2 days?

Not sure if the F86 was applicable to the OAD or not.

I would disconnect the HDMI device for a day or two and see what happens.

If it still occurs there may be a problem that needs a repair so call Samsung.
  5. mcjibba

mcjibba Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Sorry one more thing you could try is to disable standby mode upgrade to off, just incase it has something to do with the OAD.

Go into DTV menu, System, Software upgrade, set update to manual and standby mode upgrade to off.

If you do this remember you will have to manually search for OAD updates.
  6. Br3nt

Br3nt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    mcjibba, thanks for the advise, I'll check it out when I get home, to be honest I don't think I ever tuned it or had the arial connected, I use the HTPC for everything and work/commute for long hours so rarely watch live TV. I'll try the disconnecting it though and use the 360 as an extender for a couple of days and see what happens. I know this may sound weird but I also thought it may be my lighting, recently started using energy efficient bulbs and have noticede massive IR activity on the HTPC receiver which can def be traced to the bulbs (turn lights on/off).

Thanks for the tips!!

B
  7. badbob

badbob New Member

Ratings:
    +358
    When it's on standby does it click by itself, but doesn't switch on? Then when you press power it clicks nothing happens, then press again it switches on?

I had that, I think could be the standby upgrade mode-it was working fine until I upgraded DTV software and set it to standby upgrade mode "on" but got the board changed anyway