Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LE32R41B (...continued) "Tearing" Posts only

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Stuart Wright, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Fsheehan

Fsheehan Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I'm having to ship mine back to 24Electric tomorrow as it developed the pixel processing fault which occurs after about 5-10 mins of having the TV on.

24Electric were really good and took all the details of the fault. I'm also including some digital photos which I took for proof. They're collecting it from my workplace and mentioned that they will try to deliver another in the next batch of stock which should be coming tomorrow, or another load on the 21st which someone has already mentioned previously.

I'm hoping that this isn't another issue with this model through time. I'm just glad that this happened sooner rather than later. Other than that the TV is fantastic and will even be more so when these fixes filter through for the tearing problems. :D
  2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever Member

Ratings:
    +79
    i could finally be sold on this panel now. after seeing the horror stories and with the upcoming Xbox 360 used at 720p over component this panel was not an option so i was looking at the more expensive sharp's. think if the fix fully works i could be swayed again back to samsung. oh well i will keep checking back to hear updates on how you fella's get on with the fix
  3. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    OH NO! Not someone else!!! :eek:

Can you describe your fault? My TV was returned last week because it had a picture processing fault and I'm awaiting delivery of a new one next week. The fault on mine seemed to a problem with red processing which showed patches of dark blue and yellow flickering pixels on backgrounds and weird oversaturated contrasts particularly on brown walls and people's faces. It varied from being OK at normal viewing distance to downright disgusting to watch. Did you have Dynamic Contrast on by the way?

I was hoping my TV (LE-26R41BD) was just a one-off but there's at least six people on here that have reported similar or worse faults. I'm not exactly filled with confidence that my replacement TV will be OK for more than a month. Damn and, indeed, double damn! If the next TV develops the same fault, I'm returning it and buying one of the new Sony TVs instead. :(
  4. busterdan

busterdan Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Well....a day earlier than I expected... I have received the CD, cable and instructions from Samsung :thumbsup:

I haven't tried it yet but will do at lunchtime as well as upload it for others to look at...

Judging by the instructions there is a flasher app (windows only) and you load the firmware .mot file into it...

You set the baud rate/serial settings and connection method and connect the TV to you PC with the 9 pin Serial to 3.5 mm connector cable.

I'll post my findings later today as well as the revised firmware level for my BDX model.
  5. maxlifo

maxlifo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks mate.

I just spoke to Samsung and I must say the lady on the end of the phone seemed to have no idea what I was talking about. I spoke to them yesterday and they apparently took all my details but she said she only had my name and address etc, she sounded clueless about the tearing too. The phone call took about ten minutes! Well, she's told me the tech dept will be in touch within one working day, so musn't grumble. How long did they take to call you Busterdan?

ML.
  6. allanp

allanp Member

Ratings:
    +49
    They rang me this morning to offer me the fix, but I'd already rung them yesterday about it, so they might be sending me 2.
  7. busterdan

busterdan Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Max...

You must have just been unlucky mate.... I spoke to a lady yesterday and gave her my original call reference from last week. She asked me to confirm the problem and actually quoted the qord "tearing" to me... she then told me that the technical guys would contact me within 48 hours...as it was they called within 3hrs. I wasn't expecting them to send the stuff out yesterday as it was quite late but they must have just caught the post...

The package arrived by recorded delivery.
  8. maxlifo

maxlifo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    excellent. Cheers chaps, looking forward to hearing the results.
  9. Fsheehan

Fsheehan Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I did see your other thread where you'd posted this but didn't know if it would just sort itself out. The fault itself happens randomly but usually when the set has had time to heat up. I then hear a buzzing from the screen and the picture starts getting white blotches which turns to red and then spreads. Loads of lines then appear and the screen gets darker and darker until all you can hear is the audio.

I thought it was just for analogue sources but it's done it for freeview and also via component. Sometimes the TV would also switch itself off for no reason when I'm pressing the volume down button on the remote! Dunno if this was just random as it did the same when pressing the D. Menu button on another occasion. :confused:

Anyway, I've also attached some pics which might "describe" it better. :) Does yours do the same?

Attached Files:

10. maxlifo

maxlifo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh, noticed something else last night.

Was taking pics of the TV (Freeview) to post in my sig, using the still feature. The TV randomly switched off if I kept pressing the still button. 10 or more presses like. Very odd.
  11. Doctor Hades

Ratings:
    +237
    Fsheehan - The first picture (on the far left) looks similar to the issue my TV had, at least as far as the dark pixel patches go. However, it's looks like your problem is something different from mine judging by the rest of the images because the fault on mine even at it's worst left the image at least watchable, it only affected the quality of it.

Let's hope we and the others were just unlucky and got faulty sets, eh? I'd hate this to turn out to be another common fault like the tearing was... :(
  12. Doctor Hades

Ratings:
    +237
    Weird.

Did you have leave it on Still for more than a few minutes at a time? Maybe the TV turns itself off if you use the feature too much or for long periods of time to prevent image burn-in (I know LCDs aren't supposed to be prone to this but better to be safe, eh?).
  13. maxlifo

maxlifo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Was pressing the still button every few seconds on Freeview to try to get a blur-free still to take a picture of. Like I say, it switched itself off after a random number of presses. Definitely wasn't leaving it on a static images for several minutes.

Samsung have just called and said they'll be posting out my firmware update kite ASAP. :clap:
  14. ade2005

ade2005 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I too had this problem but the screen eventually faded to black and all I got was sound. So you're not the only one with this problem it seems. Got mine sent back to DigiUK (with a video clip of the problem on a CD) who were pathetic at best in trying to get it returned. They told me I needed a call number from Samsung first, but Samsung said I didn't need one to return it and wouldn't give me one. A few phone calls back and forth eventually sorted it but I wasn't happy with DigiUK and have now got my money back. I've placed an order with Waratah.co.uk now and they seem to understand the words "customer service" which DigiUK lack.

Anyway, just hope that the replacement is not faulty too and that it was a bad batch!

Ade
  15. Fsheehan

Fsheehan Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Yup, mine too just faded to black until all you can hear was the audio. Turning the TV off and then back on sorted the problem out but then the problem reoccurs after a few minutes.

How long was it until yours started doing this? I've only turned mine on 5-10 minutes after taking delivery of the set and it did this. Thought it would go away but didn't. :(

I also do hope that this is just a batch of faulty LCDs and not all will start to exhibit this sort of problem further into the future.
  16. multiply

multiply Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi busterdan :hiya:

Pleased to hear you got delivery of the cable/software so quickly.
    Big :clap: for Samsung!

I have just called them and immediately got through to a very helpful representative named Matt who was instantly familiar with the 'tearing' problem, although mine was the first call he had personally taken about this. I would imagine all the customer service reps there have now been briefed as he asked me a number of specific questions about it. He also mentioned that there was a dedicated 'team' of engineers who were working on this issue and wanted as much info as poss.

I was given a reference number and was told that I would get a call back sometime over the next couple of days.

Good service so far. Sounds like they are getting their house in order and their a$$e$ into gear!!
    :thumbsup: for Samsung!

UPDATE:
    Just one hour later, I have received a call from Samsung to confirm my details and they are putting the CD and cable in the mail today. I must say, I'm impressed by their service! :smashin:
    Recently had a situation with Sony when I needed a new bulb (£230!) for my rear-projection Grand Wega. If they had acted as efficiently as Samsung have just done, then I wouldn't have been switching my allegiance so readily.
    Now, there is no contest as far as I'm concerned. My first choices for electronics will go to Samsung products... Sony are now WAY down the list!

Like busterdan, I will post an update once I have received and installed. Looking forward to your post, BD!
  17. ThePimpmaster

ThePimpmaster New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have some questions. I would be very gratefull indeed if you could post some anwsers :)

Is the cable you recieved available in shops? Is the firmware for all LEXXRXX TV's? What is the firmware number? (you can check it with the service menub code).
  18. busterdan

busterdan Member

Ratings:
    +33
    I'm not sure on the cable... I have never seen a 9 pin Serial DSUB style to 3.5 mm pin (like a headphone socket) before...would probably be easier to wait for Samsung if you don't have such a cable.

The firmware and instructions I have received are specifically for the 32" Greenwich BD/BDX - If I do post it on the internet with the flashing program I accept no responsibility should anyone inadvertantly stuff up their TV. If you want to be safe then contact Samsung in the first instance and let them send you the stuff....

Who knows...my update may even go horribly wrong - I should know in the next hour.
  19. BenPremium

BenPremium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my TV delivered from Waratah - chuffed to bits.

I've tested the Gamecube via scart which looks pants. The PS2 over component looks very nice in progressive scan.

However I can't seem to get it to work with my PC for some reason. I've got the DVI out of my 6600gt plugged into my monitor and the VGA into the TV.

However when I go into the display settings it's only seeing the Dell monitor and not the TV. There's no option for dual screen display so I can't switch over to it which is really annoying!

Any ideas?
  20. busterdan

busterdan Member

Ratings:
    +33
    All flashed... no problems

My firmware is now

T-GRNW32PEU-3006
    T-GRNWMPEUS-1004
    Aug 22 2005
    15:37:26

Gonna try Soul Calibur 2 now
  21. nsemple

nsemple Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Still not receieved a call back from them even though I called yesterday lunchtime :(.

Oh well lets hope they just send me the CD and cable :)
  22. busterdan

busterdan Member

Ratings:
    +33
    I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY TEARING!!

...I'm pleased to say....

I have not had time to try anything else

:smashin:

The flasher and firmware for the LE324/512BD/BDX "Greenwich" are here
    http://pobsplace.net/ezupload/files/2005-09-08_2/SamsungLE32412BDGREENWICHONLY.zip

The brief install instructions are as follows...

Unzip the files
    Run setup to install the flasher
    Connect the cable with the TV in standby
    Load the firmware .mot file
    Click Connect
    Flasher states "Trying to Connect"
    Press TV standby Button
    TV Connected Flasher states "READY"
    Press Program and Verify - flashing begins
    Process takes about 4 minutes
    Message will display on successful completion
    Close flasher, remove cable
    Remove all power from TV (mains cable)
    Reconnect Power Cable - TV will automatically switch on and be read for use.

Remember if you do have the cable and use this formware I accept no responsibility should you inadvertantly ruin you TV.
  23. Mordor_Moose

Mordor_Moose Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I ordered and got my 26r41b a couple of days ago... only to find it had some nasty scratches on the screen. Ordered another one that came today...
    Scratches on this one too!! :mad:

Has anyone else had this problem? I mean, what are the chances two times in a row. I wanna order a third one, but if it has scratches I'm gonna go crazy.

If noone else had this problem I'll write it down to cruel chance and order another.

Thanks
  24. originalbadboy

originalbadboy Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The cable sounds like the same one used for transfering files to a Philips Pronto, (serial to minijack), if so then I may try to flash the firmware.

Are the firmware files for all LE32R's or just for the BD version????
  25. nsemple

nsemple Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I think I also have one of these cables for connecting my TiVo. Of course I could just wait for Samsung to just send me them.....
  26. Jaymo

Jaymo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

Newbie here, so please go easy :D .

This was the one I was going to buy: - http://www.tribaluk.com/Samsung-LE32R41BDX-LCD-Television-01785086.htm

Will this firmware update work with that model? I've seen it on the list on the first page of this thread but it has "/XEU"after it, where as the one advertised on the above link hasn't. Not being the most technically minded of people, I don't know whether this makes any difference or not.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jaymo :thumbsup:
  27. busterdan

busterdan Member

Ratings:
    +33
    As I quoted earlier mate
    The flasher and firmware for the LE324/512BD/BDX "Greenwich"

NOT

the LE324/512B/BX "Rome" models....well not until some one with a B/BX receives the Rome firmware...

If you go into the service menu and check the firmware version - if Rome is mentioned then do not use it. Also I am not sure what impact this would have on say a different sized BD/BDX... for example the 26" version.

I'm just warning you to be careful just in case...

The update does seem to have retained all my other settings from what I can see. The flasher itself should be useable with all models...in fact it is called "The Rome Flasher"
  28. maxlifo

maxlifo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for the update busterdan!

Does it reset all your picture/channel settings etc?
  29. multiply

multiply Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Ah! I have that cable also. Good idea!
  30. Doctor Hades

Ratings:
    +237
    My old faulty TV had the tearing problem and I reported it to Samsung so if they ring me up I'm still going to ask for the upgrade pack even though my new TV will likely have the newer firmware anyway. At least that way I can do the update as soon as I get it instead of having to wait.