Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung lcd motion blurring, smearing, ghosting

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by willykatie, May 22, 2007.

1. willykatie

willykatie Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    Hi,
    I have a problem here. I have 40" Samsung F71 only for 2 weeks and on sunday night when we're watching film through upscaling dvd player via hdmi, i noticed there motion blurring on the picture, seems like smearing or ghosting when the picture, object, people moving. And it happened again last night. Just wondering if i get faulty panel :rolleyes: or maybe the lcd got really hot and cause the motion blurring? Because i turned it on around 3 pm and was watching animation dvd, finished around 5 pm, turned it off and turned it on again around 7pm to play xbox and around 9.30 pm started watching dvd and i noticed the blurring around 11 pm. And finished dvd around 11.30 pm and tried to put sky on to check the blurring, and i didn't even notice on sd sky :confused:
    Just wondering if motion blurring happens to digital viewing only not sd, what should i do? Is this normal?
    The blurring looks like THIS go down to motion blurring
    Please help guys.
    Thanks
  2. willykatie

willykatie Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    Anybody?
  3. Silver Serpent

Silver Serpent Active Member

Ratings:
    +448
    Make sure Digital NR is OFF as that can cause what you're experiencing.

Also smearing/blurring is a common problem with Hi Resolution LCDs when viewing standard definition material, because blowing up an image to fit your screens resolution will result in alot of detail loss and problems with motion.
  4. willykatie

willykatie Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    Yeah, the DNR is off mate. Also Dynamic dimming and gamma. But why only certain time that i see the smearing/blurring? Is it normal?
    So it's not my panel then? Will this happen with hd-dvd or blu-ray?
  5. RPD_UK

RPD_UK Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Are you saying that the TV didnt show any signs of motion blur at all in the previous 2 weeks but now it does ? :confused:
  6. willykatie

willykatie Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    Yeah, i just noticed it on sunday night. And last night, i was watching series on dvd and because black border on left and right, i changed th resolution to 576p to get full screen on the tv and after around 1 hour i noticed this blurring again. But probably just because i blown up the picture from sd to fit the screen on my tv that cause smearing/blurring like silver serpent said. But i'm still not sure if this faulty on tv or just a normal thing on lcd.
  7. Silver Serpent

Silver Serpent Active Member

Ratings:
    +448
    If you can try a HD DVD or BluRay on it, and you still experience the problem then it could be a fault with the TV.

There shouldn't be any blurring/smearing from a High-Res signal. Sometimes there is a tiny bit, but you wouldnt even notice it unless you were really looking for it.
  8. willykatie

willykatie Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    Yeah, that's what i'm gonna try i think. I don't have hd-dvd or blu-ray at the moment. There's no motion blurring/smearing from xbox 360 as far as i'm concern anyway. So it might be just because sd material, my dvd player or maybe my hdmi cable faulty.
  9. LV426

LV426 Administrator

Ratings:
    +3,058
    Check that it isn't in the source. See if the problem is limited to, and always happens with, certain discs and/or in certain places. Not all DVDs are mastered as well as one might expect.
  10. willykatie

willykatie Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    Yeah, it might be. I was watching this series again last night and i noticed the smearing again and i switched it to xbox 360 to see if smearing appears, but there's no smearing at all. Switched back to dvd, smearing gone as well. A few minutes later, smearing started to appear again, so i changed the resolution on my dvd to 1080i from 576p, smearing gone and the picture a lot crisper. The reason i put 576p because i always get black border on the left or right side on the screen on certain movies when i use 1080i. So maybe because i blown up sd picture to fit 40" screen and maybe that's the reason i get this smearing/blurring.
    So i'm just wondering if smearing/blurring quite common problem with upscaling dvd player when you connect via hdmi to fit the whole large screen :confused:
  11. Neil2007

Neil2007 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Try switching to Movie mode.
  12. willykatie

willykatie Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    Yeah, i use movie mode to play dvd.
    Anybody experience this with sd source as well? It was quite bad last night. really noticed it when people running. Seems like there's shadow following behind them.....
  13. DrugstoreCowboy

DrugstoreCowboy Member

Ratings:
    +102
    Movie mode dosen't really help, I've noticed it's more apparant on darker scenes so increasing the contrast and backlight makes a difference.
  14. Screamer

Screamer Member

Ratings:
    +119
    If it's anything like the new bug-riddled Samsung M87 models, you'll want to turn MoviePlus off. Even if it currently says 'off', turn it on, then off again just for good measure (the bug on the new M models is that MoviePlus turns on without you asking it to, but the menu says it's still off - so you have to turn it on in the menu and then turn it back to off to really get rid of it).

What you're describing sounds exactly like MoviePlus - massive bluring behind faster moving objects, and sometimes even a strange outline all the way around things moving at a more moderate pace. Interestingly, it is better at it's job with better video, so freeview/scart inputs/non-upscaled DVD's/etc cause the most visible problems, while it seems to actually work probably as intended with full 1080i video.
  15. willykatie

willykatie Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    The one i have is F71 not M87 so there's no movie plus option. I'm using upscaling dvd player Pioneer DV490 connected to my tv via Qed Qunex HDMI-P. Just wondering if this common problem with upscaling dvd player. So is it better to use movie mode to watch dvd or just use dynamic or any other mode to get rid this smearing/blurring :confused:
  16. Screamer

Screamer Member

Ratings:
    +119
    If you're talking about the Movie/Dynamic/Standard option box that simply adjusts colour tones/brightness/etc, I wouldn't imagine any will 'turn off' the problems. That said, you might be able to tune the image so that such things are less noticable. Sounds a lot like a faulty set, though.
  17. reaper12

reaper12 Member

Ratings:
    +124
    I have the F71, and I don't get any smearing or ghosting or blurring. I don't watch any TV on it so I can't comment on that. But I do use the xbox360 through component, PS3 through HDMI, PC through VGA and laptop through HDMI.

I have watched DVD's on all sources and had no trouble. Also I watch HD movies, Blu ray movies and other movie formats on my pc and have had no trouble.

My settings, I use movie mode on everything. In the service meny, Gamma on, dynamic dimming off. I have the energy saving set to high.
  18. willykatie

willykatie Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    It might be a faulty set :mad:
    But what i don't understand, i don't get this smearing/blurring from xbox 360 via vga :confused:
    Could the source such as dvd player, disc or hdmi cable faulty?
    No smearing/blurring on sky via Qed scart either :confused:
    Just to confirm before i return this :lease:
  19. reaper12

reaper12 Member

Ratings:
    +124
    The xbox360 is an upscaling DVD player, have you tried playing the DVD's through that to test? The xbox360 only upscales through VGA though, so you would have to have the VGA cable. But try component as well if you have it.

Have you tried switching HDMI ports?

Does it happen on all discs you play or just certain ones?

can you change the output of your DVD to 1080p?

Did you try applying the firmware update again? I had problems with blurry picture for a while after updating, when I applied the update again it worked perfectly.
  20. willykatie

willykatie Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    Hi.
    Yeah i tried playing it through xbox 360 via vga and there's no smearing/blurring. I haven't tried switching the HDMI ports (could it be the HDMI1 port do you think?).
    No, i can't change the resolution to 1080p, max is 1080i

I haven't tried to apply the update again. I only borrowed cable from someone in here and i sent it back already. Still waiting mine from Samsung :mad: :mad:
  21. reaper12

reaper12 Member

Ratings:
    +124
    Well try the DVD player at 1080i, I am sure you have done this already.

Switching the HDMI ports might work, as sometimes reseating the cable helps.

The more I read about this, the more I think it is some little problem between the DVD player and the TV. If the HD coming from Sky is ok, and the xbox360 is ok, then that leaves the following

The HDMI port.
    The cable to the DVD player (try swapping the HDMI cable around)
    The DVD player itself.
  22. willykatie

willykatie Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    Yeah, will try that later. Hope nothing from my tv tho.
    Thanks for all sugestions guys :)
  23. reaper12

reaper12 Member

Ratings:
    +124
    good luck with it, let us know how you get on.
  24. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I had a problem with my Samsung R87 with juddering on dvd playback using hdmi cable.

I found it was cause by my philips 5960 player when it was set to auto hdmi mode in the setup menu.

When i set the hdmi resolution manual the juddering stopped.

regards.

John.
  25. willykatie

willykatie Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    Been playing xbox 360 for over an hour and haven't noticed any smearing/blurring. Picture is really sharp and really good from vga. Haven't tried my dvd yet. Gonna watch a film tonight and will let know tomorrow :)
  26. JonnyGoon

JonnyGoon Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Since getting BBCHD I notice 40M86 is just as bad at smearing HD stuff as it was on a BR with a PS3 i borrowed from a friend aong with the SD stuff. Its apparent on component or HDMI on the various Movie, standard and dynamic settings.

Its really distracting. I wonder if i actually have a bad panel? I have the scart banding that doesn;t really concern me but I may use it as an excuse to get things changed and hopefully rectify the blurring. It may aswell be SD material when it starts moving around.
  27. sepker

sepker Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Samsung LE40R81 tv and also experienced smearing and outlines with fast motion images on my digital tv settop box which was connected through scart.. My xbox360 over VGA was fine and it was minimal through HDMI..

After turning off DNR and MoviePlus its vanished on both my Scart and HDMI and i'm totally happy with my set again :)
  28. gexneo

gexneo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I really do think its just the SD signal. I just got a 46", and in the one hour that i spent watching on it, i have noticed very weird motions, as though the frame rate is going too fast or something like that. It decreases almost completely when i watch a dvd but increases when watching normal tv (haven't upgraded to HDTV yet.

It shouldn't be the panel since you only experienced it when watching the movie, and in my opinion, having two samsung LCD's, Samsung's LCDs are of good quality.
  29. mskr

mskr Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem with my Samsung LA32A450C1..I view the channels on my DTH Big TV(Not HD).I am having a very bad viewing experience...I contacted Samsung support,but no one turns up..I am very disappointed on the purchase
  30. alphadec

alphadec Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got the same problem on my samsung LE40M86BD and it drives me insane I have tried to stop DNR, etc but hehe when I buy a very expensive tv noone told me I have to turn of everything to get it a picture that does NOT drives me totaly insane.

I AM SELLING THIS JUNK.

NEVER A SAMSUNG FOR ME AGAIN!!!!!