Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung hd950

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by lockstocked, Nov 7, 2005.

1. lockstocked

lockstocked Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,

I hope someone out there can answer these questions,

firstly is the samsund hd950 available in silver? (That is for my wifes benefit)

and secondly the important question,

is the HDMI port on this machine HDCP?

the reason i ask this is my plasma panel is capable of displaying the resolutions, has cinema progressive scan and DCDI, but is not HD ready, so i can only run it if it is not HDCP.

Samsung PS-42D4sxx plasma, Denon AVR2805 reciever, Kef 2005.5 speakers and sub, Sony DVP-NS730 DVD, Sky +
  2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    Not available in silver, the 850 is hough
    All HDMI ports are HDCP aware, however you can hack the 950 which is it's best selling point in my book, to remove HDCP.

As a player you might be better off looking elsewhere however, not a great performer.
  3. lockstocked

lockstocked Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

thanks for the info, i probably have around £200 to spend what would you recomend, i have thought about the denon 1910, but am unsure wether it is hackable via a handset or whether it requires a chip or software mod

cheers
  4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    Don't think 1920 can be hacked, I have asked this question here but got no answers. I would stick with analogue if I were you, the HDMI sockets off few benefits over analogue done well. Your Sony ain't bad kit as it stands.
  5. Flashman

Flashman Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi. I have this machine and successfully "hacked it" to disable the HDCP to my Toshiba LCD set and make it multiregion. It now plays via the DVI input on my set perfectly.

I've read varying reviews of this machine, but to be honest, I paid just over a hundred pounds for a machine that does multiregion, removes HDCP, plays pretty much any disc I've stuck in it as well as DVD-Audio and SACD and does a fair job of upscaling the picture....

I'm pleased with mine, I accept it's a budget offering, but what do people want for the money?! It's cheap and cheerful and doesn't pretend otherwise, but will do me until I can afford to spend a lot more for a significant improvement.
  6. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros Member

Ratings:
    +126
    It looks like the HD950 will be the only future-proof HDMI route for me too, and not only considering the great price but also because of the region hack since I have a significant amount of precious R1 discs...A HDMI and not DVI display should cure the HDMI audio error problem (or a new firmware while we're at it)...
  7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    better audio and picture quality as given by the competition?

Philips 963
    Pioneer 575
    Pioneer 585 (underrated in my book here)
    Oppo
    Cambridge Audio.......the list can go on
  8. Flashman

Flashman Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Nic,
    I understand your comments, but none of the other machines are as truly flexible as the Samsung. As I stated, yes, it is a budget offering but manages to cram in more spec than it's competitors...

I chose it as I was fed up with having to decide on several different sources (and accompanying wires everywhere) when for the moment one will do until such time as true hi-def players arrive and we hopefully can have fantastic picture quality, rather than the poor substitutes available now.

Like everything else, it all comes down to personal choice, an awful lot of people on these forums seem to buy stuff on the recommendation of others, without demoing the equipment directly themselves.

I'd seen the Samsung on a friends set and whilst it will never set the World alight, it's not bad (for the money!).
  9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    but as someone who has a variety of players at hand to use, the 950 is the one that gets the least use, because of it's quality, if I don't use it when I do use othe £100 -£200 players I don't call this value for money. I call it a missed oportunity. Removal of HDCP is the one reason I keep it around....
  10. PJTX100

PJTX100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +574
    Completely agree with Nic. My Samsung 745 is the poorest value machine I've ever had 'caus after exhausting every possibility to get a detailed pic I never watched another film on it!...PJ
  11. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    As a newcomer to this technology could somebody please explain when, and why there is a need to disable HDCP. Are region 1 DVDs HDCP protected ? There is a sticker on my HD950 box which gives the multiregion handset hack sequence. Is this the one that disables HDCP as well ?. I was under the impression that HDCP protected (HDMI output) was necessary for the unit to work with a HDMI (HDCP protected)input on the tv. Can anyone put me right on this?

Thanks
  12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    HDCP is just copy ptotection, it is is most DVDs and unless the display also has it it will shut the picture down. Those of us with CRT devices therefore can't use this connection device.
  13. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    Thanks Nic, you confirmed what I though was the case.
  14. MADMAND

MADMAND New Member

Ratings:
    +10
  15. YuppieScum

YuppieScum Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Actually, Nic, HDCP is a copy-protection protocol used by HDMI. It has nothing to do with the DVD being played.

While the data transfer is compatible between HDMI and DVI devices (hence trivial conversion cables), an HDMI/HDCP player will refuse to 'talk' to a non-HDCP display at hi-def resolutions - this is why disabling HDCP on the player is a Good Thing(tm).

FWIW, I'm returning the DVD-HD950 I bought today as it will not do hi-def over component...
  16. Darko

Darko Active Member

Ratings:
    +136
    the 950 will be available in silver in the new year bud
  17. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    You are sort of right but so am I. What I was trying to explain without spending paragraphs is that a DVD (say with a homemovie on) that has no macrovision or other copy protection, it (should) will output over digital interface and HDCP does not have to be used. If however you have a commercial film, which does have some copy protection, HDCP will be applied unless a hack is known. The player makes the decision according to what is on the disc already.

HDCP can also be applied to DVI interfaces but is not mandatory here, hence there are significant advantages having a DVI outputting player which 'could' have identical capabilities to HDMI but legally without HDCP.

As 99.9% of discs have macrovision then it has little or anything to do with the disc, however if you make your own discs then things 'could' be different.

So HDCP is a copy protection protocal. It is used by HDMI but also other interfaces and IS disc dependent, as is the 'interface' type.

HDMI players HAVE to have HDCP in but do nit have to use it all the time (reality is >99% they do apply HDCP)

DVI players DO NOT, it is optional.

HDCP is applied when they see any form of copy protection, however not all commerial discs have this, well done Sony :) If you don't believe me try an early SB and standard issue disc with a HDMI player on a non HDCP display.

[just to add confusion to it all, everyone has small differences in how the interpret the laws!!]
  18. dobbin

dobbin Member

Ratings:
    +9
    What is the hack for removing HDCP on the 950?