Samsung H6700 (UE48H6700) TV AVForums Review

I tested 2x 48" H6500's and both of those had a light bleed patch in the bottom right corner (one a lot worse than the other), must be some quality issues with the new 48" size.

Thank you so much for doing this review !! I just ordered this today ! :) is it possible to get the calibration settings for this.

Thanks Mark. Looks like the 40" version of this has risen to the top of the list of candidates for my new kitchen television :)

One thing I noticed looking on the John Lewis site though, was a lot of people complaining about lip sync problems with a different model Samsung television. Were there any such problems you noticed with this one?

Thanks very much for your review.

When I compared the H6670 (retailer exclusive, but exact same spec as H6700) with the H6400 in store I definitely preferred the picture quality on the H6400... The picture on the H6670 looked grainy, noisy and over processed, whereas switching to the H6400 images came to life with a naturally balanced, clear and absorbing picture . Of course I don't know what the picture settings were, by default it was probably dynamic with motion plus on standard...

From reading the reviews it looks like the picture out of the box needed more tweeking on the H6700. Once calibrated did you find the H6700 to have an overall better picture than the H6400?

Best demo files to test TVs in store | AVForums

Last edited:
Humm dodgy review on Lip Sync problem on John Lewis web site- copy below, and looking at the screen on display myself in John lewis it had bad lip sync issues. Great HD picture, but I reckon it may not be worth the risk, or waiting till these issues are completely sorted. Seems crazy to be making worse TVs as the technology improves!

rating.gif

Samsung UE48H6700 TV
11 July 2014
NGRW1
First impressions were WOW. However there are quite a few issues namely Lip synch, sharpness of picture, aftercare service by Samsung, Software updates, and ease of operation. Samsung service engineer visited within 3 days only to say the TV is working as it should despite lip synch issue remaining. Had to manually transfer update from PC to TV via USB stick as the auto update did not work! The overall picture quality apart from HD is unacceptable. John lewis are getting their technician to inspect and has offerered another TV. First class service from JL. 2nd class service fro Samsung. Don't buy

There is an update which went out on Friday (only available by manually downloading) which seems to have resolved this.
EDIT, well for the H6400 anyway which I think would be the same for all H6 series models.

Would be good to hear if any 48H6700 owners have installed the firmware release from 9th July, has it solved the problem?

Would be good to hear if any 48H6700 owners have installed the firmware release from 9th July, has it solved the problem?
Samsung UE*H6400 lip syncing | Page 8 | AVForums
Seems to have resolved the issue, or at least substantially improved it, for those using integrated tuner. Speaking personally, I'm not yet sure if the firmware update is good idea for those using a set top box who have no current lip-sync issues.

Last edited:
I brought the 48" 6670 during the cashforgoals promo at currys & must say i'm extremely happy with the TV.
I currently using setting recommended for last years equivalent model that i found on this site. Using the standard picture mode.
This article recommends using movie mode. But I found the whites in the movie mode to have an orange tinge to them & the picture just looked a little bland (i ran with movie mode for a good 2 weeks to allow my eyes to get used to it)
In the article the reviewer talks about calibration for this tv. Will these settings be released as id be very keen to improve on what i already have. Or is this something that is unique to every TV & just cant be applied as a cut & paste.

Setting used -

Picture mode standard
Backlight 17
Contrast 90
Brightness 41
Sharpness 35
Colour 53
Tint 50/50

Advanced
Dynamic contrast off
Black off
Flesh 0
Rgb off
Gamma +1
Motion lighting off

Picture options
Colour tone standard
Digital clean view off
MPEG filter off
Motion plus off
Black optimizer off

Would be really interested if someone who knew what they were doing could provide settings that i could try.

I have bought UE40H6670 which should be same as H6700. I had replace for my first model because it had some white lines on screen (even if TV is completely turned off). Got second one and that one got even more white stripes and lines on screen.

One photo:
http://www.upload.ee/image/4147045/2014-07-09_08.31.21.jpg

Are these normal or should I try to get lucky with third one? Maybe only 40" have this problem and 48" would be free of that problem...

Last edited:
I actually don't understand what your pointing out? That smudge? Other than that it looks fine.

Yes I'm talking about that white smudge.
There are more some of them, but they're hard to get picture. In some angels and when going farther in some distance they'll become less visible.

Otherwise this TV is fine for me yes. Just would love to get model without these smudges...

Yes I'm talking about that white smudge.
There are more some of them, but they're hard to get picture. In some angels and when going farther in some distance they'll become less visible.

Otherwise this TV is fine for me yes. Just would love to get model without these smudges...
Was the box sealed? It just seems like just a smudge on your screen which I would imagine could just be wiped off.

Was the box sealed? It just seems like just a smudge on your screen which I would imagine could just be wiped off?
Both units box, what I had, were only closed with white (transparent) tape from top. It wasn't over taped or anything, so I assume it's like it come from factory. Don't know that should there be any seal sticker or anything.

I have tried to wipe them off, it doesn't come off. For me it's weird that's it on the unit I had and on the one I got for replacement.

That is strange as never seen that before, unfortunately I think you need to request another replacement :( I've not seen a mark like that before but maybe a batch load was damaged during manufacturing.

Hi

I'll repeat that same question also, i've used the 6400 calibration and the TV looks worse than standard movie mode. I have the 55" version and it would really help if you could post the settings that the 6700 now uses following cllibration.

I have a UK TV, UE55H6700.

On the H6700, I noticed a massive picture improvement with the firmware update from 9th July 2113.4, but this broke Amazon Instant Video and caused "Playback issue" dialogues when playing anything from Amazon.

Firmware 2114 released July 22nd 2014, fixed Amazon Instant Video issue, and the picture quality is either slightly worse or the same as the previous firmware; can't make up my mind. Certainly 'dirty screen' on football matches when panning is massively reduced and the colours are not over saturated now. I also found from 2113.4, that Freeview SD was improved.

I'm using these settings until proper calibration:

MOVIE MODE
CLEAR
No MPEG Noise
backlight 9
contrast 94
brightness 47
colour 46
colour mode AUTO (borderline with 'Native'. Either is good but AUTO more natural sometimes).
Film Mode 2
Warm 2
Gamma 0 (borderline between -1 and 0)
Sharpness 25

and I get fantastic results on HD and even on SD. Out of the box settings, SD (including Freeview SD) looked terrible.

The only issues I have now are as follows:

1. Exiting 'Heart FM' app gives a black screen (app issue since its update). It also starts with 'Smooth FM' instead of Heart. An issue with the latest app update as of July 28th 2014.
2. Having two pages of apps in Smart hub, when trying to move the bottom right app on page 1 to page 2, it goes back to original view when you exit the smart hub and go back in. Definitely a coding issue. The camera app was in my bottom right of page 1 and it won't let me move it to page 2. It can do this randomly with any app you want to move from page 2 to page 1 or vice versa BUT ONLY if you have two pages of apps. Tried factory reset and smart hub reset and bug still remains.
3. The 'Trending' and 'Multimedia' pages of the smart hub never change content?
4. The 'Trailers' part of the Rakuten/Play on demand content in the Smart hub often link to incorrect trailer footage. App issue
5. The 'Now That's What I Call Music' app has links to music videos that are either wrong, or a code issue whereby the actual correct video is the menu option above the one that says it is. For example if Lady Gaga is description of menu option number 8, you have to select number 7. App Issue.

Missing Apps (UK) as of 22nd July 2014:
AMAZON CLOUD PLAYER
YAHOO
GOOGLE TALK
ANGRY BIRDS
GOOGLE CALENDAR
AP NEWS TICKER
RHAPSODY
ALL 3 MEDIA
FLIXSTER
MINISTRY OF SOUND

Last edited:
As already echoed, could we have the calibration settings used in the review please.

thanks
joe

Bought my 40H6700 nearly 4 weeks ago but just unboxed it today (don't ask). Left it on 'standard' for now, but will try Unisoft's settings in the next few days. I'm using the freesat tuner rather than freeview and noticed it asked me who the satellite provider was during the setup. It even gave me the option of choosing Sky, which seemed odd to me (though we do have Sky boxes in two other rooms), but I chose 'freesat'. The latest firmware fixed the lip sync issue on this tuner too.

Still would like the AVF calibrated settings to try if possible. I know it differs from set to set but still it should be better than the presets (?). Any particular reason this is unavailable so far?.

Sharpness was most likely set to zero as it turns off edge enhancement. Purists do not like any sharpness enhancements. Setting zero on this model disables it (though it may not do on earlier Samsung TV's).

Personally, I find it too soft disabled and have a little sharpness to make Freeview SD way better, and Freeview HD a bit better. You don't want to use sharpening over 25 on the H6700 55" or greater though to avoid 'shimmering' on people's jackets where they have patterning e.g. tweed fabric, check squares etc.

On the H6700 with screen size of 48 or below, I wouldn't recommend going over 20 for sharpness.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom