1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung "Game Mode"

Discussion in 'TVs' started by KJK1LL3R, Jul 19, 2006.

1. KJK1LL3R

KJK1LL3R Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Has anyone seen what the Game Mode looks like on the new series of samsung tv's? What does it look like? Does it make the graphics any better or what does it actually do? I am asking as I have an Xbox 360 & I am thinking of getting a Samsung LE23R71WX for my bedroom!
  2. ush flynn

ush flynn Member

Ratings:
    +147
    if will just be some preset brightness and contrast values. Nothing special. its hardly going to make the graphics better all of a sudden
  3. KJK1LL3R

KJK1LL3R Member

Ratings:
    +3
    yeah but I read that the "game mode" was designed with the aid of Microsoft Technical staff to make sure that it gave the optimum Xbox 360 performance! Has anybody tested it out?
  4. MRadja

MRadja Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Samsung 50inch. In the game mode, the sharpness goes down a lot, presumably to soten jagged edges. With games, cant see a big difference (Colin McRae ).
  5. mr_yogi

mr_yogi Member

Ratings:
    +148
    I read somewhere that the "Game Mode" reduces the processing on the picture, making the respose time less thus reducing the time between making inputs to the controller and seeing the effect of your inputs on screen.

Although I don't know if this is BS ;)
  6. ush flynn

ush flynn Member

Ratings:
    +147
    sure smells like it! response time! can you really tell the difference between 12ms and 8ms in your controller input? yes some claim that the screen goes blurry at 12 but do you think your reaction times are that fast? hahaha
  7. mr_yogi

mr_yogi Member

Ratings:
    +148
    Not really the panel response time, the way I read it is that the digital processing and de-interlacing/ scalling etc. that goes on takes a number of frames to process. Obviously with TV this doesn't matter but with games some people, might be able to notice so the game mode is supposed to reduce the video processing and make for a quicker response :confussed:
  8. Brendetta

Brendetta Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have game mode on my samsung le26r74bd. I have my ps2 connected up to my tv though not a 360. With game mode on the picture was to dark but this was with a normal av cable. I changed to a componant cable then the colour wasn't so dark it was ideal so I was happy with it but the componant cable made the picture look crap so I sent it back. I'm gonna try the gamemode with a s video cable plus hoping the picture will be better than the component cable.

I really think the game mode is designed for the 360 or ps3 assuming there gonna be playing in hd.

At the minute I prefer playing games with game mode off untill I get a 360 and a ps3 but I'm gonna see what its like with the s video cable connected to my ps2.
  9. KingSkinTim

KingSkinTim Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know what Game Mode does but I highly recommend the Sammy for gaming. I have just received my LE40R74 and have my PC piped into it via VGA. The quality is exceptional... Battlefield 2 looks truly awesome and NFS:MW runs much sharper than my 19" TFT screen (whic is 12ms and was too slow to keep pace with the action) - no such problem with the sammy

My Freeview picture looks really poor though, and so does DVD. I am using a crappy old SCART cable for the DVD though, so I expect that i just needa decent lead. Also my freeview picture(whilst it looked fine on a 21" TV) looks well blocky on teh Sammy. Again I think this is down to poor aereal and co-ax, which actually has a soldered join in it :) I would put another cable in but dont fancy the trip up to my chimney.... I think I'll wait for Freeview to go HD and see how it looks then.

Still, I definitely recommend the Sammy if your more into gaming then tele.:hiya:
  10. KJK1LL3R

KJK1LL3R Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Well it is mainly for gaming but I am unsure wheater or not to get the LE23R71WX or else the LE26R74BDX. I think that the white colour of the 23" looks nicer but the 26" is obviously bigger and only £100 extra! Other than size & colour, are both these TV's completely the same in terms of features & ability?
  11. cassius76

cassius76 Member

Ratings:
    +45
    "Samsung also worked closely with Microsoft to create a special Game Mode that optimizes image quality, sound and response time for more realistic video game play--with just a single touch of a button. The Game Mode enhances dark areas, sharpens the picture, speeds up the image processing response and enhances the sounds of your games"

According to some advertising I just found.
  12. The Jamess

The Jamess New Member

Ratings:
    +51
    personally i leave it on default as the game mode looks way too bright for my liking maybe its just me !! :confused:
  13. sTaD

sTaD Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Defo choose gaming mode.
    i have a le40r74 and have my ps3 hooked to it via hdmi...game mode gives your picture a much sharper look and definition!! flick between both and you'll see, especially round detail of graphics!!:D
  14. bigshak

bigshak Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i have purchased a samsung 42 and says it has game mode but how do i access it?
  15. nelson914

nelson914 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The game mode reduces the graphics for what seems like a faster frame rate, graphics are slightly worse, not better.