Samsung Galaxy S2 (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can somebody confirm please if it's possible to have the same functions from the headphones whilst playing music as was possible with the iphone. Iv tried both my sony headphones and the samsung headphones provided but neither do anything. With the iphone you were able to adjust Volume, pause, skip or forward tracks? Pretty annoying if I have to go into the phone from now on to do any of the above apart from volume adjustment via the side of the phone.
Thanks

Can somebody confirm please if it's possible to have the same functions from the headphones whilst playing music as was possible with the iphone. Iv tried both my sony headphones and the samsung headphones provided but neither do anything. With the iphone you were able to adjust Volume, pause, skip or forward tracks? Pretty annoying if I have to go into the phone from now on to do any of the above apart from volume adjustment via the side of the phone.
Thanks

You can't do the volume, but the button on the Samsung headphones will play and pause with one press.

If you double press it skips forward 1 track.

I think if you triple press it skips back a track.

It is tricky at first to get it right, but it works for me.

neuty

neuty said:
You can't do the volume, but the button on the Samsung headphones will play and pause with one press.

If you double press it skips forward 1 track.

I think if you triple press it skips back a track.

It is tricky at first to get it right, but it works for me.

neuty

Yes I know what you mean that was the norm with the iphone, but couldn't get the samsung headphones to do anything at all. Thanks ill try them again.

Nope the button on the samsung headphones does nowt, im using the default music player on the phone.

Last edited:
when i am on the phone using the speaker (handsfree) when the call finishes the screen remains black so i can never end the call only the other person can. once they do the screen returns to normal but it is very annoying. is there a way to solve this thanks?

when i am on the phone using the speaker (handsfree) when the call finishes the screen remains black so i can never end the call only the other person can. once they do the screen returns to normal but it is very annoying. is there a way to solve this thanks?

Click your home button and the screen will light up. Then cancel your call.

neuty

Does this change the bootloader version if you update to 2.3.5? As I have read you can no longer use the Jig to reset the counter after upadating?

The Exclamation and counter only change if you install a Non standard (insecure) Kernel. (i.e. you root the device)

The Rom's in that link are standard Samsung Rom's. You are not rooting the device so the counter won't increment.

You are still installing a standard untouched rom but simply using a different tool to install them (ODIN over KIES) Obviously you can root if you wish to but the choice is yours.

Does this change the bootloader version if you update to 2.3.5? As I have read you can no longer use the Jig to reset the counter after upadating?

Uridium's right, if you flash official ROM's it doesn't count, and even if you have a locked bootloader, you can replace with an unlocked one, reset with your jig and install the locked one again.... but this is all by the way.

Why are you so eager to have 2.3.5? Is it just a desire to have the latest or is there a killer feature you're after, because there isn't one I'm aware of. You'll struggle to tease out the improvements unless the blue over-scroll effect in 2.3.5 is to your taste.

I'm still on 2.3.4, and I'll repeat this again, since I've been using android phones, I've never been happier to stick to the stock offering than now because everything just works well. I get my flashing kicks out of my old Galaxy S which incidentally has been officially updated to 2.3.5 update via Kies

It's also curious that the phone hasn't received 2.3.5 because clearly Samsung have it all packaged otherwise they wouldn't have released it to unbranded Nordic regions (NEE product coded handsets) as well as Vodafone and three in the UK. When a major firmware is released such as 2.3.5, Samsung must wait to ensure it's stable before they release further updates. Personally I'll be disappointed now if 2.3.5 shows up in Kies because it means we may not see ICS until Feb next year.

So the optimist in me is hoping 2.3.5 may be completely bypassed in favour of an early ICS release.

Rizza

thanks guys, I am still on t-mobile stock rom. Haven't had the nerve to root or need to update past 2.3.3 yet. Just trying to find out as much as I can. It seems like a lot more cumbersome than rooting a HTC desire.
I was looking to root to the chechrom revolution, but have no clue about the bootloader and jig with this version. I will probably only root when ICS comes out.

Don't worry about the whole jig thing...

Install the Rom you want, root if required (personally i think the rooting of the SGS2 is just as easy as the Desire, flash the rom you want, flash the insecure kernel and your rooted, then replace the kernel again to remove the boot exclamation if it bothers you)

I'm not fussed about the counter....if my phone ever gets to a point it needs to go in for warranty repair I'll just ensure that it's well and truly DEAD (easily done ;-) ) before it goes in so no chance of the counter being checked.

The jkay mod alone made rooting worthwhile for me..adds in all the settings that Samsung should have done (particularly for me the extended power button menu and notification control widgets)
[Theme/Mod/Apk] XXKI4, XWKI8 - JKay Deluxe v12.1 - How the SGS2 should be! 2011-10-21 - xda-developers

One thing i will say though is that after trying several different rom's I'm now back on a Stock Samsung rom..other than a few garish theme's the custom rom's really offer very little as the Samsung rom's are just so good.

Last edited:
Having had the phone six months or so I am mightily impressed overall. However, I have two questions (apologies if either or both have been answered, between this and the original thread it would take an age to be sure..) that I would really appreciate some help with :

1) I am still getting the issue where the phone resets itself and I get the message stating ' media scanner running'. This happens just about every day. Is there a known cause/fix for this?

2) I've finally started using swype and, in general I am finding it to be something of a revelation. However, particularly with the phone in portrait mode, the amount of unintended commas and full stops is becoming ridiculous. Are there any alternative swype keyboards that people would recommend?

Having had the phone six months or so I am mightily impressed overall. However, I have two questions (apologies if either or both have been answered, between this and the original thread it would take an age to be sure..) that I would really appreciate some help with :

1) I am still getting the issue where the phone resets itself and I get the message stating ' media scanner running'. This happens just about every day. Is there a known cause/fix for this?

2) I've finally started using swype and, in general I am finding it to be something of a revelation. However, particularly with the phone in portrait mode, the amount of unintended commas and full stops is becoming ridiculous. Are there any alternative swype keyboards that people would recommend?

What firmware version are you running? Must admit I've never seen either of those two problems..chances are a firmware update will fix the first one and if you are on older firmware then Swype was updated to a much newer version in the 2.35 roms...

Uridium said:
What firmware version are you running? Must admit I've never seen either of those two problems..chances are a firmware update will fix the first one and if you are on older firmware then Swype was updated to a much newer version in the 2.35 roms...
Still the old firmware. I read of quite a few people close to launch who had the reset issue. I think I may have to bite the bullet regarding updating the firmware myself then. Thanks..

The new vastly improved swype's available in 2.3.4 and the other problem may require a factory reset.

Rizza

Rizza said:
The new vastly improved swype's available in 2.3.4 and the other problem may require a factory reset.

Rizza

How exactly do you do a firmware update im with o2. Is it through kies or summink?

My wife's one from Orange arrived yesterday, came with 2.3.3 preinstalled but when I tried out KIES it showed an update available so I thought I'd give it a try.

Now its running 2.3.5 so it looks like the official updates may have caught up, Orange have never been at the front of the queue with updates although I may still root just to get rid of the bloatware.

Old habits die hard :)

Orange customisations are horrible, probably the worst of the lot, I'll root as well to get rid of them!!! Once done you might as well install Adfree to get rid of most in-app ad banners.

Rizza

I've just got an S2 but's it's locked to t-mobile and they say I would have to wait 3 months before I can get it unlocked, I've tried one unlocking site but they could not find a code, I am trying another but if this does'nt work am I stuck until 3 months later ??

There's no official comment yet regarding any of Samsung's phones, all we have is speculation.

Rizza

Samsung have confirmed the S2 will receive ICS, when is a different matter! Samsung Italy have said Q2 next year, other sources in January. One leak has been reported by uswitch as early as next month.

Timing aside, one thing is certain, the S2 will definitely get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom