1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Galaxy S2 (part 2)

Discussion in 'Samsung Mobile Phones' started by Bogside, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave H

Dave H Active Member

Ratings:
    +139

Thanks Mate this is our first Smart phone so we have a lot to learn !
  2. Dave H

Dave H Active Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Is it on the Samsung site ?
  3. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    You should give Swype a try...give it a couple of weeks and you'll never want to use another keyboard...

and bonus is it's built into the GS2 for free....
  4. Dave H

Dave H Active Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Using swype and its great, what a clever system :)
  5. Robothamster

Robothamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,237
    Put 2.3.6 on my phone Monday (finally) and have noticed battery life is loads better than it was with 2.3.4.

I was sceptical it could make much difference but certainly seems to. Guess once ICS is officially out the battery will be eaten up at top speed again :D
  6. scanz

scanz Active Member

Ratings:
    +725
    I was kind of hoping ICS would utilise the battery better and give us longer life. Guess not then?
  7. Robothamster

Robothamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,237
    I hope so, the cynic in me says otherwise though.
  8. Toshman

Toshman Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Its difficult to say, when I tried the ICS leaks (still a bit buggy so back on 2.3.6 now) the battery life seemed about the same as 2.3.6 so you would expect it to get better in the final release. ICS is supposed to be optimised for dual core processors so this alone should make it more efficient.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. TameRacingDriver

TameRacingDriver Member

Ratings:
    +257
    Some early users of CM9 (ice cream sandwich based AOSP ROM) are reporting improved battery life over gingerbread. Considering this is only an Alpha release, it looks promising.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. markymark34

markymark34 Active Member

Ratings:
    +205
  11. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    Some very positive reviews on XDADevs...looks like we are getting very close to an official release now...

I do like the way Samsung keep 'leaking' out builds in order to get their beta testing done :)

Tempted to try xxlpb myself but checkrom revohd with ICS domination is running so smooth on mine...
  12. TameRacingDriver

TameRacingDriver Member

Ratings:
    +257
    Yep, it does look like its getting there doesn't it?

I'm on the same ROM as you, but my phone is starting to do funny things now, so it probably needs wiping, so I may give an LPB ROM a try :)
  13. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +85
    My S2 keeps disconnecting itself when connected bia USB to my PC. It won't hold the connection for more than about 30 seconds. Occasionally, it reconnects itself. It's making synchronising music impossible. Any idea what is causing this?
  14. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    Faulty usb port/cable? Tried a different port/cable.

Also why not just use wi-fi to copy music to your phone?...Most file management apps (astro/es file manager) have SMB options for connecting to your PC. Then just copy over the music you want. The phone also has Wi-Fi access from PC browser built in via the KIES Air app on the phone

Personally I just browse my NAS using FTP (AndFTP free from market) and copy over the files I want...
  15. Toshman

Toshman Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Updated to 4.0.3 XXLPB this morning and first impressions are much better than previous releases and seems very stable. Looks like it is a daily use ROM at last. Just a couple of things to be aware of if anyone wants to try it.

BBC iPlayer is not supported because iPlayer does not support ICS yet.

Software update not working resulting in permanent notification in notification bar, resolved by disabling the software update in settings>apps.

You have to manually add APN settings to get 3g to work.
  16. The Atheist

The Atheist Member

Ratings:
    +147
    Having exactly the same problem, i tried a different usb port and seemed to work better, didn't have it connected for very long though.

Ever since I updated to o2's latest firmware (2.3.5) having a lot of niggles, most notably random crashes! Anybody else using O2 firmware?
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  17. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    You tried installing ICS Browser + and changing the user agent? I did thison my CM9 ICS'ed HP Touchpad when i got BBC iPlayer not supported message and it gets you past it...
  18. jinder

jinder Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Is there something I can use better than Kies to accsess PC files on my phone?, without having to sit in front of it? That process it tedious and annyoying.

I was under the impression I could transfer files wirelessly to my device walking around the around the house.
  19. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    Look about 4 posts up the page.....
  20. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +85
    Thanks. I'm trying to use Notpod, as I'm an Itunes user. It'd take forever going through files individually. Much easier to manage from within Itunes in my experience.
  21. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    Try Syncr ...costs about a £1 or so but will sync with iTunes over wi-fi...

tbh you really need to move on from iTunes though...Why use one of the worst PC apps known to man when you don't have to anymore... ?

drag 'n' drop along FTP along with Google music and then google listen for podcasts has LONG since replaced itunes for me. good riddance.
  22. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +85
    We have several iPods and iPhones in the house and iTunes just works so well with them.
  23. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +85
    I'm going to give isyncr a try. One little problem I have is I have 34gb of music and only a 32gb card. However there's about 10gb of available internal (USB) storage on the phone. Is it possible to merge these two locations so that they are seen as one folder?
  24. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    Can't speak for syncr (a long time since i used it) but once the music is on your phone android itself won't care where it is as the media scanner that runs at boot (or after USB mount/dismount) will pick up all music files no matter where they are located.

Do you really need 34Gb of music on your phone though? I have a 60Gb library of music...and keep about 10gb of 'core' favourite music on the phone. I then just add/remove extra stuff when i fancy listening to something new.
  25. TameRacingDriver

TameRacingDriver Member

Ratings:
    +257
    I've also tried it tonight, in the form of the Resurrection ICS ROM.

Its not quite there yet for me. You could probably use it is a daily driver, but its just not quite as polished and smooth as the GB ROMs.

The battery life for me seemed poorer. The phone seemed less responsive, the wifi was dropping randomly for a few seconds, and I got more lag.

However, I really like the new browser, new multitasking, new notifications, the appearance, the SMS and dialer and so on.

Definitely shows promise, but I'm going to give HyperDroid a try (I've read some good things about this ROM).
  26. Toshman

Toshman Member

Ratings:
    +56
    The ROM I am trying is the official Samsung leak so its responsive and slick. Battery seems the same as 2.3.6 and wifi is stable. Being Samsung though means Touchwiz still dominates, so same old dialer and similar browser, the calendar hasn't changed either.
  27. SFBanks

SFBanks Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Why on such a high end device such as the S2 does BBCiplayer not work very well? The picture is not smooth and makes it pretty unwatchable!

I am assuming it is a problem with the app and not the phone. This does not look good for when sky go is released this month!
  28. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    As slick as all the samsung apps are (the Media and activities tabs for contacts for example..) I think I'm going to hang on for a nice clean AOSP ICS Rom before i switch to ICS.
  29. Toshman

Toshman Member

Ratings:
    +56
    That would be good, but wouldn't an ASOP ROM be unofficial therefore voiding your warranty?

The way I see it XXLPB is just as good as 2.3.6 but with a few ICS tweaks.
  30. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +85
    It was indeed the cable it didn't like. Odd. because the same cable works fine with other (mainly Logitech) products.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.