Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.
It must be the age we live in, but the nonsense rumours circulating about the 'iPhone 5' that 'sources familiar with the matter' promised us was coming caused the [-]idiots[/-] clever folk who believed them to be disappointed with what was a very good upgrade in the 4S.

The same sort on nonsense rumours circulating about the 'Nexus Prime', again backed by people who definitely knew what was happening, also seems to have led to disappointment among Android fans.

In both cases, people are threatening to leave and move to the other side. Yet actually, both devices that were launched are good handsets. It's all very odd.

Cant wait to get my hands on this beasty, I've no doubt Galaxy 3 will be a demon when it comes out but I love me some vanilla android, and the tron like blue hues of ICS are too hard for me to resist!!!

I just hope its not £500+

RobM said:
It must be the age we live in, but the nonsense rumours circulating about the 'iPhone 5' that 'sources familiar with the matter' promised us was coming caused the [-]idiots[/-] clever folk who believed them to be disappointed with what was a very good upgrade in the 4S.

The same sort on nonsense rumours circulating about the 'Nexus Prime', again backed by people who definitely knew what was happening, also seems to have led to disappointment among Android fans.

In both cases, people are threatening to leave and move to the other side. Yet actually, both devices that were launched are good handsets. It's all very odd.

I just get bored easily ;-) I'd rather stick with my Nexus One if ICS becomes available soon - That way I'll save some pennies and still receive a fresher looking interface.

I'm going to be all over this when its released. Since getting my Omnia 7 I've fallen in love with Samsung panels and this isn't going to let me down.

So long HTC Desire, Hello Galaxy Nexus! :clap:

Was waiting for this, but having seen it i'll still wait for its release but only as i expect the price of the SGS II to drop a little further at that point.

Just go over to the mobile classified section, everyone and their mum is trying to offload their SGS2 now lol.

bash said:
Just go over to the mobile classified section, everyone and their mum is trying to offload their SGS2 now lol.

Why do you think that is?

Because they either need the cash and/or deserting Android in favour of Apple.

I've got a feeling this will be quite an expensive handset. I'm randomly guessing simfree £499 for 16gb / £549 for 32gb. As with the Nexus S I think a high price will put many consumers off together with S2's competitive pricing on contract.

Even if people are going to argue that the specs dont look as good as other phones (Not taking into account real world usage, Engadget say it feels faster than the GII) at least every man and his dog isn't going to have one like the 4/4S and the Galaxy II.

Even if people are going to argue that the specs dont look as good as other phones (Not taking into account real world usage, Engadget say it feels faster than the GII) at least every man and his dog isn't going to have one like the 4/4S and the Galaxy II.

Yeah that's how I feel. You rarely come across Nexus phone users. (Q. what plural of Nexus... Nexi?)

Yeah that's how I feel. You rarely come across Nexus phone users. (Q. what plural of Nexus... Nexi?)

I really fancied going back to Apple as long as it was a redesign, I could have lived with blending in abit with other 5 owners but the 4S killed it for me. Blending in with 4 and 4S owners would have been too much.

I like to have something abit different hence me having the Omnia 7 because it creates a talking point.

I'm glad O2 are getting it too, I had a feeling they wouldn't be.

I think the pricing for this will be crucial. Too expensive (as it looks like it might be) and I can't see it selling that well - mainly because of the SGS2. However, if the pricing is similar to what the SGS2 is now or less, then it could achieve good sales. We'll have to wait and see......

Last edited:
J7MAN said:

ICS is the first android os that has been written to take advantage of a dual core processor, it will also be a bit sharper than Gingerbread. So you will probably find that an S2 running ICS would be on a par speed wise.

You may also find that second hand prices of other phones will hold or even strengthen if a lot of people holding out for the Nexus are disappointed with the specs and either keep the phone they have or go for something else.

I don't feel any compulsion to part with my S2 at this point, still very happy with it and ICS will be a much welcome update. Funny I find the Motorola RAZR a more exciting handset than the Prime.

I remember thinking 4" was waaay to big when I initially considered the SGS as an upgrade from the 3.2" HTC Magic, but within a year of owning the SGS I upgraded to the 4.3" Galaxy S2 which I feel pushes the limit as it is. Don't people consider 4.6" a bit too large?

Rizza

Size comparison:

SGS2
125.3 x 66.1 x 8.49, 117g

SGN
136 x 68 x 8.9mm, 135g

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck in a Nexus S in that pic to get a better idea. Curved mobiles fit much better in pockets anyway. I dont think the size will be a problem. The good thing about this device is that I'll also not need a tablet IMO. So I'll have this and a decent skinny laptop (Lenovo U300s or Toshiba Z830) for all my portable needs.

Cant wait to start chucking my 720p Mkv files on it too :D

"UK mobile phone seller Clove has priced up the Samsung Galaxy Prime at £515 sans Sim lock.

That's for the 16GB, HSPA+ version of the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich-running Samsung announced last night alongside a 32GB model which, Clove told us, won't be coming to the UK."

Samsung Android 4.0 smartphone priced for Blighty ? reghardware

I shall refrain from commenting :)

Reminds me of the non-NFC UK SGS2 debacle. I feel sorry for those Nexus buyers who wanted the larger one. Me, Im fine with 16gb thank you very much.

Reminds me of the non-NFC UK SGS2 debacle. I feel sorry for those Nexus buyers who wanted the larger one. Me, Im fine with 16gb thank you very much.

Do keep in mind this one doesn't have a microSD slot.

I know, neither does my 16gb Nexus S, like I said, Im fine with it. Im sure there'll be potential owners put off by this but having owned the 2 previous Nexus devices, it'd have had to have been a lot worse in spec to put me off. Love this series so far . . .

16gb is fine for me too

I wish they hadn't called it Galaxy Nexus, it's hard to say and you have to say the whole thing in order to differentiate from Nexus S. I also associate the Galaxy brand with Touchwiz. I can't see any reason for them doing this other than Google bending over for Samsung. Prime would have been much better, in fact i'm just going to keep calling it that :cool:

It'll always be Nexus Prime to me . . . .
main-pic-Google-Nexus-Prime-Logo-Transformers-Optimus-Magic.jpg

Rizza said:
I don't feel any compulsion to part with my S2 at this point, still very happy with it and ICS will be a much welcome update. Funny I find the Motorola RAZR a more exciting handset than the Prime.

I remember thinking 4" was waaay to big when I initially considered the SGS as an upgrade from the 3.2" HTC Magic, but within a year of owning the SGS I upgraded to the 4.3" Galaxy S2 which I feel pushes the limit as it is. Don't people consider 4.6" a bit too large?

Rizza

I agree, while a bigger screen would be fantastic for media I can just reach all the corners of the screen on my S2 when holding it in one hand. I think the Nexus would be a little to big!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom