Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung F8500 plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by golden phoenix, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1000 Cutts

1000 Cutts Member

Ratings:
    +63
    I should be getting mine tomorrow.....

Super excited...
  2. fredwatt

fredwatt Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Excellent news - sounds like the picture quality is amazing.
  3. clydebest

clydebest Active Member

Ratings:
    +898
    All the best with the f8500 it would be nice if it really is as good as initially reported. Thus giving panny a real run for their money.
  4. CBJM

CBJM Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When will shops start to display this tv? I'm playing it safe, I'm going to go and look at the tv in person and then wait a few days and wait for the reviews. If its good then I'll buy it.
  5. delahmed

delahmed Member

Ratings:
    +9
    well i just called John Lewis Oxford st and they said they have 5 in stock but none on display. The helpful lady also called up Peter Jones (Slonae sq) and they also have 5 in stock but not on display.

In the market for a new TV for the front room. Was close to getting a Sony KDL-HX853 but thought i would wait for the Sony W900a, Samsung PS51F8500 or the Panasonic 60 range...

Please post if you see this tv on display in London.

Cheers!
  6. Jon P

Jon P Member

Ratings:
    +98
    just seen this set in a shop in Watford. had a quick play with the inbuilt patterns to set brightness and contrast and turned off all the other stuff. The picture was pretty good motion look initially fine although I didn't have any fast stuff to view. black level looked good. The filter on the front seems like it will be quite effective as at extreme angles the image radically changes appearance suggesting the filter will block any light coming from the sides.
    It does seem to chuck out some serious heat but who cares when the picture looks that good.
    look forward to seeing the forums review.
  7. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton Editor Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,371
  8. clydebest

clydebest Active Member

Ratings:
    +898
    A very good review of the capabilities of the F8500 it has certainly came out with flying colours regarding P.Q. slight debate on black levels, but no doubt in the review that this tv can hold its own in bright conditions which has always been Plasmas Achilles heal and the reason why i own a WT50. If i was in the market for a tv this year i Would be on the phone now ordering one from J.L.
  9. Jon P

Jon P Member

Ratings:
    +98
    Ask and you will receive :D

Impressed with this set and least samsungs don't flicker. It drives me nuts on the panasonics. Didn't see any on the new range of pannys but then often don't at lauches as they use their own content. From reading your panasonic review looks like it may still effect this years sets so if my Kuro breaks looks like it would have to be a samsung for me.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  10. Skyguy63

Skyguy63 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Picked my 51" F8500 up from JL today, got it hooked upto SkyHD through Onkyo sound system, thought it would be a good test to watch Tron and its handling the dark scenes/ blacks beautifully.However I'm having an issue in that now and again the screen goes black and a small samsung logo appears on the screen, it goes after a while but it's worrying!
    It's only been happening on Tron, no problems with other programmes at all, any help/ advice would be appreciated as I'm not an expert in this area.
  11. delahmed

delahmed Member

Ratings:
    +9
    One of the cons on the avreview was that input lag is too high for serious gaming. That's a dealbreaker for me. Can we get any comments from our early purchasers? I was really looking fwd to getting this tv on the weekend. Might wait for the w900a and see what that offers.
  12. polakis

polakis Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Yes info about lag would be useful. Can you play e.g. fifa13 and top spin 4 normally or are they unplayable?
  13. matzie

matzie Member

Ratings:
    +6
    > now and again the screen goes black and a small samsung logo appears on the screen, it goes after a while
    @Skyguy63, I'm hoping this is just some sort of screensaver with a configurable timeout. I had a look in what might be the manual ( http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201304/20130402161459119/[ENG]FPDVBEUF-1.004-0401.pdf ) and I think the setting is Screen Menu > System > Screen Burn Protection > Auto Protection Time. Hope this helps. My 64" arrives on Saturday... after I had to return two UE65ES8000's (for vertical banding), I've been stuck with a really old 40" Series 4 for the last few months... Saturday is going to be a very good day :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. 1000 Cutts

1000 Cutts Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Just had a call 30 mins !!!!!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. 1000 Cutts

1000 Cutts Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Got it and its been hung but the power cable is too short... Need my electrician to make up a cable... Tick tock tick tock
  16. stucarblne

stucarblne Active Member

Ratings:
    +374
    Cool :)

Can you post some pictures please when you get a chance on the most accurate preset :)

:thumbsup:
  17. polakis

polakis Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Owners of 64F8500 please report about the brightness pops that has been mentioned in several forums...Especially in Ice Hockey
  18. newTV

newTV Member

Ratings:
    +35
    +1:)
  19. fluxo

fluxo Active Member

Ratings:
    +621
    Having read the review I am surprised the TV did not measure brighter. Over you know where ChadB seemed very impressed by the NA F8500's light output:

84.1 fL = 288.1 cd/m^2, which is very high.

So are the Euro models capped artificially low?

In passing, can I also mention that there is something a bit odd about the panel luminance settings for this year's Panasonics. And that is that it doesn't appear to be the same hoped for feature that the US models have and I wonder again if this is because light output is artificially capped below what the hardware is easily capable of. E.g.:

David Mackenzie:

20. stucarblne

stucarblne Active Member

Ratings:
    +374
    That is MASSIVE :eek:

I thought the max was 66FTL which is huge on it's own for a plasma in the US which was measured recently... 84FTL dwarfs the poor "dim" KRP's max of approx 56FTL :laugh:

When 32FTL looks natural in normal daylight conditions (to me) the mind boggles what 84FTL would seem like :eek:

Can't imagine the PSU and the Y sustain/drive board would like that for too long, but even still...

Massively humongous and madly impressive regardless :D
  21. 1000 Cutts

1000 Cutts Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Sat here watching the mighty spurs on the new 64 inch'er no sign of banding....picture is lovely, not quite sure what popping or dithering is, so cannot really report on that.... Will dig deeper over the next week or so.... Newb out..
  22. fredwatt

fredwatt Member

Ratings:
    +41
    This plasma sounds so exciting - can any of the new owners comment on the heat output from the device. Does it run hot?

I've got to make my mind up the F8500 51" or maybe wait for the W900a in May'ish.
  23. 1000 Cutts

1000 Cutts Member

Ratings:
    +63
    And forgot to mention no buzzing although it was funny earlier... Sat there watching and suddenly became aware of the loudest buzzing ever!!! But my electrician put 2nd fix to house today and it turned out to be the LED light dimmer.... I wiped the sweat from my brow I telt the!!
  24. stucarblne

stucarblne Active Member

Ratings:
    +374
    Seriously i wouldn't worry about it. If it's lovely, it's lovely. Just enjoy your new toy would be my advice. Without worrying about the delusional and negative types with their own agendas.
  25. fredwatt

fredwatt Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Flippen eck' what a shocker.
  26. panman40

panman40 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,390
    Glad your enjoying it mate :thumbsup:.
  27. delahmed

delahmed Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I just got back from JL Oxford St and they have the 51 inch F8500 plasma on display and it was sitting next to the 55 inch 8000 LED and the pic looks really natural.8000 still looks amazing. ITV HD and BBC One HD looked amazing and the chat show hosts did not look like they had fake tan cream on...

I went near the F8500 and it was pretty hot! No wonder its a C on the energy rating scale. Other LCDs were cold to the touch but they were A+ LED tvs.

Could not hear any buzzing either but i think that is more apparent on the 61 inch based on US feedback. Anyway it was the best plasma on show. No banding either.

Based on the high input lag for gaming and the heat coming off the screen (my front room gets hot in the summer as it is south facing), i might just wait for the Sony W900A / W802A.

£1900 cost means it needs to tick ALL the boxes. The bezel and stand looked nice but i prefer the F8000 slim bezel (just my preference). F8500 bezel is still quite thick.

I preferred the Panasonic WT50 and Samsung F8000 over the F8500. Bring on the W900A. I can afford to wait another few weeks....

F8500 is still a great plasma.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. fredwatt

fredwatt Member

Ratings:
    +41
    I've could order the F8500 from JL right now... I think the energy use/heat is not where I want to be .. every computer/device I can buy is now low wattage. I can't bring my self to buy a watt chomper! :)

But it's fabulous to hear that this TV is ever so impressive from a picture perspective. Just fantastic. Never ticks all those boxes. Onto the W900A - that will have an issue or two I'm sure.
  29. delahmed

delahmed Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I had the amex card at the ready but the F8500 didn't come out and grab me as much as i thought it would do. Maybe im not a plasma kind of guy? Came home empty handed. Can't wait to see the new sony range. They had a 753 on display (no 853 unfortunately) and that still looks real nice. If I was brewster and had to blow my wad today, i would get a F8000 LED.
  30. CBJM

CBJM Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just curious is this tv better then the VT, GT and ST models?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.