Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SAMSUNG DVD-SH873M problem with change channels

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Recorders' started by z12x3, May 15, 2010.

1. z12x3

z12x3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    just get this 'SAMSUNG DVD-SH873M' player, I noticed the layout and function of the remote controller are rubbish.

However the most difficult is - I can't change freeview channel on the number button nor use the up/down programm button. If I preesed those buttons, the tv screen jump back to analogue view only(we don't have analogue in my region anymore).

I try to press the DTV/ANALOG button, nothing happened.

Now I have to press the favour list and then scroll it one by one to the one I want to watch, the process is very slow(again, this recorder is very slow to response any commend).

I have no problem to use a freeview box with my analogue TV before. I am thinking change back to my freeview box, then it means everytime I want to watch dvd or doing some recording, I have to set everything up again. It really is very annoyed. I supposed to use this recorder to watch freeview tv and recording simulatuously, but I couldn't even change the channel properly.

Any advice would be very appreciated as I am very exhausted now.
  2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana Active Member

Ratings:
    +222
    First thing to do is update the firmware to make sure you have the latest version.

SAMSUNG's Digital World - Support

Generally the samsungs are a bit slow to operate compared to some other dvd recorders. I have a similar dvd-sh871m and find its response time to commands acceptable but not ideal.

A full reset that might be worth trying is;

Press and hold the PLAY/PAUSE (❯II) buttons on the front panel for more than 10 seconds with no disc in the unit. All settings including the password will revert to the factory settings. Do not use this unless absolutely necessary.
  3. z12x3

z12x3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, bonzobanana,

thanks for your great advice.

I couldn't change channel using my remote buttons. I not even try any other function of the unit. It suppose to be a very easy things to do, I did it with my freeview box, it's no problem.

About the firmware, I don't have dvd slot at my laptop so I could only download it and I don't know how to put it onto the recorder. I had try connected my laptop with the unit by USB, but couldn't find any connection indication on my laptop creen betwen them, I then go to the DVD menu, choice update, after a long time, the screen showing words saying update is done. I have no clue what is that means. Is the firmware done? But still after all the effort, no improvement to the slow response at all.

Please any advice would be much appreciated, I had tried and tried, very exhausted now and this forum would be my last resort.
  4. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    The firmware needs to be written to a cd. I usually use a cdrw. I don't think you can update the samsung any other way.

Its best to do a full reset and then update the firmware and then any other issues after that can be sorted. Otherwise we will be trying to cure something that was sorted in the firmware update.
  5. z12x3

z12x3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for your advice again,

I think the firmware is for the slow repsonse of the unit.

my main problem is how to use the remote controller to change channels, it should be very simple target, I am not talking about the EPG,

Now I had to go to 'the channel favour' and tick through the whole menu to get a channel to watch, it's pain stacking and very slow. I could not use this unit on a general daily base usage like that.

As I had used my freeview box before with my analogue tv set, no problem at all, I just pressed my freeview box remote control, using number or up/down button to choice any tv channel I wanted.

I just want to use this player as a freeview box and to watch dvd regularly. plus occassionly record tv show.

please any advice would be much appreciated.
  6. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    Well changing channel should be easy. Just make sure its set for dvd or hdd on the remote and not tv which should be the default anyway.

As long as you aren't recording you simply press up or down on the remote control which is the right set of grey buttons roughly in the middle.

If the remote is used its possible those buttons are unresponsive or maybe the batteries are running low. Also worth removing the batteries for a while in case the remote has been configured wrongly somehow while setting up the tv codes.

[​IMG]

What is your exact television (make and model) and how is the samsung connected to it (scart, hdmi etc)?

If you are using an intelligent link facility via hdmi (anynet+) its probably best to disable it. A lot of the time such intelligent links don't work or restrict functionality and end up getting on your nerves.

Make sure this is off in the setup in case its causing issues. Alternatively try a scart cable to see if that cures the problem.

The dvd-873m is never going to be super responsive to the remote. Its underpowered compared to some other dvd recorders but the channel up/down buttons should work without issues unless you are recording. Like 99% of all freeview dvd recorders it only has one freeview tuner.
  7. z12x3

z12x3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,many thanks for your great device.

I had taken out the battery and put it back after awhile. The battery are bland new (energizer), re-type my tv code number again. My old tv(analogue) is a hitachi, the remote control read it as 60 (indicate on the manual).

it still the same, I could use the remote to turn off my tv, change volume or mute. But it stil won't let me change any of digital channels.

I used scart to connect the recorder and my tv, I had tried using key in number buttons or use the programme up/down buttons, the tv screen just jump back to analogue (that means black screen as no more analogue tv signal in my area), I have to press the 'TV/DVD' button, the one under the number key "7" to back to digital screen then change channesl by using menu/favourite channel list, all these is pain staking slow.

It suppose to be a simple tasks for every media unit but somehow I couldn't do it. I used my freeview box before and it's no porblem at all, just press up/down or number key-in, bingo, I got my channel I want.

Now it seems it's is a big issue just to change the channel, I don't even more about the tv guide list at the menu, that one is horrible design..

Help, please, I am very exhausted by now.
  8. z12x3

z12x3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I got some good news.

I read your reply again (actually this is the 6th time), you did mention to try choice the HDD media page, so I try press the HDD, and from there, it let me change channel now...

What a relief, and many thanks for your wonderful advice, I still don't know why the problem exists before, from now on, I would stick with the 'HDD' page, after 2 evenings and a whole weekend, I am so exhausted, I still don't know what had happened, I just very cheerful and joyful for this moment.

I know there might be still a long way for me to get used to this 'alien' player but I am so happy and grateful to know this forum is so helpful and wonderful. :thumbsup:, i couln't thank you enough.

Thanks...thanks.....thanks!!!
  9. pat clancy

pat clancy Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Hi I did firmware update last night and my dvdr875m says LOAD on display since last night,i saw a blue progress bar showing update ,when this was complete after 15 minutes nothing on my tv,just this Load on recorder display,will pressing play/pause sort it?
  10. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    Normally once the firmware is updated the disc tray ejects and you remove the disc and then press the power button on the left. It switches off into standby mode and once you press power again it starts as normal with the updated software. Its possible some settings have been reset so you may have to configure your display again.

If you left the disc in the tray its possible its reset and its waiting for you to choose whether to update the firmware again because its booted the disc again. This time though your display settings may have changed so you get a black display.

If its not that then I would turn it off at the mains, wait 5 mins and then turn back on. Remove the disc if necessary then do the full reset.

If its not operating normally. Do a fresh copy of the firmware disc on a better cdr/cdrw disc just in case making sure you record it as slow as possible, i.e. 1x. Then flash again.

Best of luck.
  11. aks356

aks356 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have had the same problem. I downloaded the Firmware onto a disc, put into the player, it asked me if I wanted to load upgrade I said yes. It seamed to start to load the upgrade but went blank, and just says LOAD on the front display and I can just hear a fan noise. The player will not do anything now disc won't come out, no controls work nothing. The player was working apart from slow EPG response before I tried to Upgrade, have e-mailed Samsung to tell them this but no help and because it is out of guarantee they will charge for any repair.
    Any Help with this would be appreciated. THANKS.
  12. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    How are you authoring the firmware disc?
  13. aks356

aks356 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry what do you mean by authoring?
  14. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    What software are you using to write the disc?
  15. aks356

aks356 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just downloading and writing to disc Windows XP
  16. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    Use imgburn.

The Official ImgBurn Website

Just drop the file onto the file entry window and write it to cdr or cdrw as slow as possible with verify on. If using a cdrw do a full erase first.

I very much doubt if windows xp writes a proper data cd. Its so bloated and integrated with mediaplayer and other stuff its probably writing extra stuff you don't want. You just want a simple single session data cd written slowly and verified to be safe. Imgburn does that brilliantly and its free.
  17. aks356

aks356 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The player won't do anything after I tried to previously upgrade the Firmware, cannot get previous disc out to try a new one. Is there a way to fully restore to previous factory setting?
  18. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    The trouble with the samsung full reset is it requires the disc drive to be empty. You could try it anyway.

The manual is confusing as it says hold down the play and pause buttons on the recorder for ten seconds or more for a full reset. However play and pause are the same button so I guess you only have to hold down one button.

If its not under warranty then all you can do is disassemble the recorder to remove the disc and re-author the disc using imgburn not windows xp. Remember to do the full reset in between removing the disc and re-attempting the firmware flash.
  19. aks356

aks356 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. If it works will that reset the Firmware to the non update version? I don't think the disc is easy to get out as I have looked already. I am now ready to throw it in the bin and get a new (not Samsung) DVD HD Recorder.
  20. bonzobanana

Ratings:
    +222
    It should be really easy to get out. Just remove the screws on the top part of the case. Probably 1 each side and 3 at the back. Tilt the top case off. I.e. lift it near the back slightly and pull away from front section. You should then see the optical drive. The lid should come off somehow. Possibly 2 more screws and then pulled off at a slight angle. If not it may just have a black plastic part covering the cd which just clips in. Then remove disc and re-assemble.
  21. aks356

aks356 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi pat clancy I have the same problem as you with my Samsung DVD recorder after Firmware update, have you sorteded it out in any way that might help me? Thanks
  22. pat clancy

pat clancy Member

Ratings:
    +21
    hi samsung fixed it at my local dealer,free of charge even though i had no receipt,only 6 months old though
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. aks356

aks356 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Thanks for the reply. Do you know want they did exactly as mine is out of guarantee and I would rather put the money to a new DVD HD recorder than spend a lot on a repair.
  24. pat clancy

pat clancy Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Hi the guy at rem said about £100 to fix,they put new board and new firmware,epg soo fast now,I was gonna buy new recorder until samsung came up trumps ,you,ll pick up a sony for £100 on here
  25. aks356

aks356 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info