Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung D7000 Owners Thread *Part 3*

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Curly99, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +153
    Hi,

It's normal for the grain to appear its 'Digital grain' and is more noticeable on basically better screens as its showing a higher level of detail to the point you are seeing the film in its true form shot directly from the camera.

Some companies are able to remove a lot of the digital grain however this can impact the quality of the film so some leave it in there.

Batman begins and Dark Knight are 2 very good examples to use when watching on blu-ray as you will be able to see if your tele is able to produce really good blacks and I am guessing on yours it will.
  2. Toptop1980

Toptop1980 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah than for that I thought that there was meant to be some degree of grain in them.

Have a look at the pic I posted a few pages bak of the dark knight n tell me that it's normal as the tech did. It doesn't look like that now.

Have noticed some wierd colored lines bands accros the screen mainly if the full screen is dark. The line is a few pixels of rainbow colors n there is heaps of them.
  3. j0nnyb0y

j0nnyb0y Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Love my D7000 46". To bits. However, three things are causing me a bit of a headache.

BBCi has no play button (the app - going to channel 901 is fine??), so I can't play anything. I can't, and never have been able to play anything from the app.

Nor can I access the Samsung Apps - "network interference occurred". This happens every time.

And finally, I cant stream anything from Blinkbox (got the 50 quid to spend there but I can't!). For example, if I try to view a preview, it will get to 100% buffered and then nothing will happen.

I've looked on the threads and noticed people have had similar problems with BBCi and SmartApps. They seem to have been resolved with the software upgrades. Not for me!

It's wired into the network, I've got a 10Mbit internet connection, can steam high def content from my PC to it no problem. Definitely the internet connection is fine. The software is upgraded to the most recent - (001021). Any ideas? I'm totally stuck now!

Thanks in advance for any help.
  4. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +153
    I would say get it replaced, if a firmware upgrade hasn't fixed the problem it sounds like the onboard memory is probably corrupted where it keeps all the smarthub data.
  5. avney88

avney88 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    You can try reloading the iplayer app from smart hub.
    Failing that a full reset of the tv. Although you will loose any settings you have changed.
  6. fatal-infection

fatal-infection Member

Ratings:
    +154
    I have had this tv now 55" Version for a couple of weeks, the more I play around with this set the more I love it. I find that most problems come from the content itself. If the content is really well done it shows and exactly the same if its bad. I Believe most artifacts can be lost playing around with the settings. After watching several 3D Blu's, today was Legends of The Guardians, 3D is WOW. I have never seen 3D this clear or smooth before. I haven't had much pop, but I have seen enough to satisfy me. The depth is very impressive and immersive.

I'm getting it calibrated this weekend as mentioned earlier on in the thread so I will share my settings before and after pics too:thumbsup:

Love it now will love it more when Steve pops round to calibrate:p
  7. Toptop1980

Toptop1980 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I asked the samsung tech about calibrating it, if he knew anyone. His reply was, "what for it comes already done with the best 4 settings no need to change anything"

Wow really.
  8. fatal-infection

fatal-infection Member

Ratings:
    +154
    He obviously knew nothing. You cannot calibrate a set in a factory for every household, on the other side of the world!! Every set the same?? CRAZY!! If that was the case I would have sent my set back as out of the box it was terrible. It has massive potential. Its a ruff diamond. :p
  9. bolgerp

bolgerp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have similar issues with banding etc. but my question relates to audio. I have the D7000 connected to my amp via the optical out. I only use this output for Smart Hub content as Sky, Blu Ray and Apple TV all go through the amp separately. But I cannot get Dobly output format. The audio format selector only has PCM as an option. The newly launched Netflix has 5.1 audio. Has anyone managed to figure this out?
  10. Toptop1980

Toptop1980 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    From what I can gather, the optical on the tv will output Dolby if it comes from the inbuilt tv tuner. If comes from anything else it's only stereo output.

If the Netflix is in 5.1 sort of defeats the purpose, unless u are using the ARC (audio return channel) HDMI
  11. bolgerp

bolgerp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I'm not using ARC as my amp doesn't support it.
  12. RocketRonnieRad

RocketRonnieRad Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  13. pany

pany Member

Ratings:
    +7
  14. daveb975

daveb975 Active Member

Ratings:
    +159
    Has anyone had the corner torch lighting problems change over time on their sets?

I have had my 55D7000 for about 6 weeks now, and have been happy with it. All of the classic problems are present, but after setting up none of them are really noticeable whilst viewing.

Then suddenly on Friday night, I got visible torch lighting in both bottom corners on a 16:9 Blu Ray. I changed the Black Tone from 'Off' to 'Darkest', and this got rid of it completely.

Tonight I watched another Blu Ray and the torch lighting is back just as it was on Friday, even though the 'Darkest' setting is still selected!

I can accept that I might just not have noticed it before Friday, but I spent about 20 minutes specifically looking for the problem yesterday with different discs under different lighting conditions and it just wasn't there.

Tonight, it is there all the time.:confused:
  15. blakey0

blakey0 Member

Ratings:
    +36
    So I've had my D7000 for a couple of weeks and think it's a wonderful set with the exception of the banding.

If I didn't watch a lot of football, I think I'd live with it, but as I do I'm willing to try another set to see if I can get one that doesn't suffer.

Curry's are sending a replacement without fuss in a couple of days so fingers crossed this one's a keeper. I like the TV so much that my view now is that I'll keep going until I find one I'm happy with. Both Samsung and Currys have been easy to deal with which gives me confidence.
  16. RocketRonnieRad

RocketRonnieRad Member

Ratings:
    +10

I did the same and last night I watched Alien Ressurection in HD and its back even with the settings which all but eliminated it.

I still have to say that with the Standard or Natural preset - its hardly there but even with those selected it was distracting last night.

I too share blakeys opinion and will try another set till I get one problem free.

Sending images to JL tech sup today to bolster my case just in case they think I am playing silly beggars.

In addition - to those who have the set wall mounted - make sure you use the 4 mounting spacers supplied with the set as otherwise you risk distorting the panel.

Now, I am wondering about micro dimming plus that the UK version does not have. The USA say this totally eliminates clouding etc - why does the UK version not have it ?

In the US version the menu's include - Smart LED and Cinema black.
  17. pany

pany Member

Ratings:
    +7
    But doesn't the 8000 have micro-dimming, isn't that the big difference between the 7000 and 8000 sets. Unless I'm mistaken I've seen reports of clouding on the 8000 too.
  18. irvsax

irvsax Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I have just purchased the 55D7000. I am very happy with the picture, but i have some bad corner bleed.

When i viewed in the shop i didnt see any of this at all.

I have adjusted the settings to some i found on a review
    Samsung D8000 (LED) review - FlatpanelsHD

And they reviewed saying bleed was excellent.

I have it in all four corners, and i don't notice it often but watching a film last night the corners of the 'letterbox' was quite distracting due to this.

Should i take it back? I noticed some people spoke of samsung replacing or attending to 'repair'. Are they good for doing this to save me boxing it back up and taking it to the shop i bought it from (which is quite far from me)?

Thanks
  19. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +153
    If its bad to the extent that you see it and it bothers you then best thing would be to take it back to the store and get it replaced.
  20. StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke Member

Ratings:
    +41
    In this country the actual panel is identical on both the 7000 and 8000 with Micro Dimming. The US model 8000 has Micro Dimming Plus...it is assumed we don't get it because the cost...ie rip off britain!
  21. pany

pany Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Ah, thanks.
  22. RocketRonnieRad

RocketRonnieRad Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Guys,

Stump is correct. US versions have the micro dimming plus where we just get micro dimming with no control over its processing.

IRVSAX - if its noticable and disturbing dont accept it. Its supposed to be a high end product.
    I ust emailed JL's tech support and they have without question agreed to exchange.

Something else that almost convinces me that this product line has a flaw is the following review where their test TV even had MURE effect or clouding -

Samsung UE46D7000

As to paying an extra 500 notes for the 8000 - why should we have to foot the bill for extra processing to alleviate a fault ?

I am now more convinced that I will go exchange and like so many others, if it comes back with the same issues I will most likely be looking else where for a set. I would consider the sammy plasma.

Lets see how the exchange goes.

Spent hours and hours with this set.....its now more of a torture than a TV. I hate to say that. If the next one os good beleive me I'll be singing its praises rather than bashing it.
  23. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +153
    The other difference between the D7000 and D8000 is that the D8000 is a very tiny amount thinner, very tiny, also the D8000 has 2.0gb of onboard memory whereas the D7000 has 1.75gb...Still not worth paying the extra money for the D8000 when it doesnt even offer what the US gets.

It could be because USA and South Korea are very good friends with the whole North Korea issue so I guess Samsung it's their way of giving the US something better over us :-( I mean they even got vouchers in their models to get a free Samsung Galaxy notepad!
  24. RocketRonnieRad

RocketRonnieRad Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Good observation Goku.

I was pondering this last night and wondered if its due to the size of their market in the US but its the whole EU that gets the UE version so surly not related to the size of the market.....
  25. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +153
    Exactly, also what Samsung showed at CES is probably going to be what the USA gets.
    I know they are talking about Micro Dimming Ultimate however I wouldn't be suprised again if USA gets that and Europe gets Micro Dimming Plus :facepalm:

Also another thing to note is that in the USA from what I have personally come across the Samsung brand isn't as popular amongst Americans as the brand Vizio I guess this says it all:

America's #1 LCD HDTV Company | VIZIO

America's No.1 lol

In Europe brands such as Panasonic, Samsung, Sony etc are more popular.

Only lately have I come across the odd American to purchase a Samsung so I think Samsung is just trying harder to offer more to get more of the market as they already have us in Europe (UK) with a huge installed userbase.
  26. irvsax

irvsax Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your responses. What I am trying to find out is if this is just the way it is or does it vary from unit to unit?

Also. Does anyone have experience of replacements? I saw some people were dealing with Samsung directly and others with the shop they purchased from.

The trouble of driving back to the shop is a real pain for me and means a day off work, borrowing a bigger car and hours of time.
  27. RocketRonnieRad

RocketRonnieRad Member

Ratings:
    +10
    You know, I spent more time on this set than I have on my wife kids job and personal hygene.

I've been under my floor 3 times for cable instal ( oports on right not left)

I've calibrated to posted settings umpteen times....

I've thought I was too picky and tried to love it despite its faults....

Samsung should really look after their user base in this part of the world before they discover visio - what a silly name !

Anyway, whats the use in putting a fancy name on a patch eh ?

I saw a friends 13 inch CRT the other day and thought - those were the days !

Anyway, I still maintian that this is a great set if you can live with the mura. Persoanlly I cant as I love dark films...

I'm also pretty insecure about changing brands as I dont want to think - oh shoot....I want it back despite the mura !

More frustrating than a carrot on a stick this....
  28. blakey0

blakey0 Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I think it depends how long you've had the set. I spoke to Samsung direct at first, but because I was within 28 days of purchase they suggested I go back to the retailer to get an immediate replacement.

Fortunately I had the set delivered so Curry's had to agree to pick up the old set and drop off the new at the same time.

I think if you're outside the 28 day purchase window, Samsung send an engineer out to take a look.
  29. irvsax

irvsax Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Wow. Sounds like a real pain. I can't imagine having to box mine back up.

I am like you and a love the set for almost everything. I find the films are nice and dark and my precious tv was a pioneer plasma so I am used to good dark with no bleed. It's only the bits in the corners that bother me.

I saw some people posting about Samsung coming to change the tv over. Is that uk?
  30. irvsax

irvsax Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you. Do you think it's worth waiting until the 28 days has passed then or will this cause problems if I do want a replacement?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.